PhD Computer Science (Florida International University, Miami, Florida 2008)
MSc Computer Science (Florida International University, Miami, Florida 2004)
BSc Computer Science (Florida International University, Miami, Florida 2002)
Associate of Computer Science (Higher Technical Institute of Cyprus, 2000)
Educational technologies: interactive multimedia for education, use of technology in education, development of instructional software, participatory software design, e-learning, human computer interaction, students’ cognition and learning styles, computer science education/curriculum, and K-12 mathematics and science education.
Head of School of Science and Associate Professor
Course Leader, MSc Computing
Module Leader of several computing modules
Member of Research Knowledge and Transfer (RKTC) committee
Co-founder UCLan Cyprus Computing Lab, a research support group for academics and researchers in Computing at UCLan Cyprus.
Throughout my professional and academic career, I have developed and/or taught a number of undergraduate and graduate modules, including Discrete Mathematics for Computing, Interactive Applications, Computing Skills, Introduction to Mathematics and Statistics, Logic for Computer Science, Theory of Computation, Educational Technologies, Educational Games, and Student Initiated modules (independent studies).
- Polycarpou, I. (2014). “Decimal to Binary Number Conversion can be Fun.” In the Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering, pp.381-386.
- Mehta, D., Kouri, T., & Polycarpou, I. (2012). “Forming Project Groups while Learning about Matching and Network Flows in Algorithms.” In the Proceedings of the 17th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, pp.40-45.
- Krause, J. & Polycarpou, I. (2012). “An Exploratory Study on Recruitment and Retention of Women in Undergraduate CS: Collaborative Learning with Formal Learning Groups.” ACM-W Newsletter (Summer Issue), 4 (1), pp.6-12.
- Krause, J., Polycarpou, I., & Hellman, K., (2012). “Exploring Formal Learning Groups and Their Impact on Recruitment of Women in Undergraduate CS.” In the Proceedings of the SIGCSE 2012 Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, pp.179-184.
- Polycarpou, I., Krause, J., & Noring, M. (2011). “Binary Blaster: An Educational Game for Practicing Binary number Conversions.” In the Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering, pp.492-497.
- Kerri, S., Polycarpou, I., Krause, J., & Rader, C. (2011). “Electronic Collaborative Learning with Math-City.” In the Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering, pp.295-301.
- Polycarpou, I, Rader, C., & Kembel, C. (2011). “Sun Tracker: A K-12 Solar Energy Simulation.” In the Proceedings of the Global Conference on Learning and Technology - Global Learn Asia Pacific 2011, in Melbourne, Australia (March 2011), pp.1519-1528.
- Polycarpou, I. (2011). “Using Technology to Enhance K-12 Outreach in Materials Science.” In the Materials Research Society (MRS) Bulletin, April 2011 Special Issue on K-12 Outreach, 36 (4), pp.290-297.
Past Research Projects
- SiteSim 2.0.: Enhancing Learning Through Simulated. Project Investigators: Santi, P., Polycarpou, I., & Rader, C. (co-PI). Funded by John U. and Sharon L. Trefny Curriculum and Development Mini-Grant Program (2011).
- Recruiting Women into Computer Science Through Student Collaboration in CS101. Project Investigators: Krause, J., Polycarpou, I. & Hellman, K. (Faculty PI). Funded by the National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) (2011).
- Measuring Learning in STEM+Classrooms Using Tablet PCs for Real-Time Formative Assessment at an Engineering University: Diverse Explorations to Establish Best Practices for Enhancing Learning and Nurture and Asses Creativity and Innovation. Project Investigators: Kowalski, F., Kowalski, S., Kohl, P., Kuo, V., Polycarpou, I., & Vu, K. (co-PI). Funded by Hewlett-Packard (HP) Catalyst Initiative Program (2010-2012).
- Uncovering and Addressing Student Misconceptions: Improving Elementary Teachers Formative Assessment Capacity and Mathematics Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Project Investigators: Weathers, J., Polycarpou, I. Gagliano, D., & MacGuire, P (co-PI). Funded by the State of Colorado, Department of Higher Education, CFDA#84.367B2010-11-2 (2010-2011).
- Improving Instruction of Proofs by Induction in the Algebraic Structures Course through an Educational Software. Project Investigators: Polycarpou, I. Funded by John U. and Sharon L. Trefny Curriculum and Development Mini-Grant Program (2010).
- Current Supervisor of 2 PhD Scholars:
Peter Yiatrou: Based on leading Learning Theories; the definition of a unified pedagogical strategy for the development of E-Learning software for the Computing GCSE. (2013-2016).
Christos Karpasitis: How Audiovisuals Affect Brand Video Virality: A Netnographic Approach. (2013-2016).
- MSc Thesis: Julie Crause: Effects of Formal Learning Groups and other instructional methods on recruitment and retention of women in undergraduate computer science at CSM (2011).