SCHOOL OF LAW, UCLAN CYPRUS
INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL MEDIATION COURSE
Venue: UCLan Cyprus Campus
Dates: Friday, 15th March 2019, 17:00 – 21:00
Saturday, 16th March 2019, 09:00 – 18:00
Sunday, 17th March 2019, 09:00 – 18:00
Friday, 5th April 2019, 17:00 – 21:00
Saturday, 6th April 2019, 09:00 – 18:00
Sunday, 7th April 2019, 09:00 – 18:00
Short breaks for refreshments and lunch are included (totalling 44 hours)
- Discuss the appropriateness of mediation for the resolution of national and transnational commercial disputes.
- Understand the requirements for a valid mediation agreement and appreciate the pros and cons of different mediation procedures and processes at national, regional, transnational and international levels.
- Understand the key skills required for successful resolution of international commercial disputes using mediation and adopt problem-solving strategies to a range of situations and complex problems.
- Critically assess and offer comparative analysis of mediation practice and procedures at national, regional, transnational and international levels.
This Course will be relevant to:
- Advanced students in law, finance and business, and cognate academic displaces;
- Practising lawyers, professionals from the construction industry, the provision of public services, the banking industry and public bodies.
Practitioners will gain advanced knowledge of the legal framework and the best practices on acting as mediators in civil and commercial matters at national and international level. The Course will be delivered at an intermediate-to-advanced level.
The Course is delivered in association with ProMediate, which is an accredited Mediation Provider and Registered Civil Mediation Council Mediation Training Provider in the UK.
Once practical assessment is completed and personal feedback provided, certificates of completion will be issued and participants will be able to register as mediators under the rules of the Civil Mediation Council (CMC), provided they do three observations in mediation. Subject to successful local registration, participants can act as mediators in the Member States of the European Union under the terms and conditions of the EU Directive 2008/52/EC on certain aspects of mediation in civil and commercial matters, as implemented in each Member State, including Cyprus. The relevant law in Cyprus is Law 159(I)/2012, ‘Law which provides for certain aspects of mediation in civil matters’. The provisions of the Law will be used throughout the Course, particularly, but not limited, to Days 1 and 4, so that participants to the Course fully appreciate and familiarise themselves with the legal requirements of mediation in Cyprus. These include registration of a mediator in Cyprus, the holding of mediation proceedings in Cyprus and the relationship between mediation and other dispute resolution methods under the Law of Cyprus. The Ministry of Justice and Public Order will accept registration by participants to the course as mediators on the relevant Register provided they satisfy all other requirements under the Law.
View leaflet here.
|· Introduction to the course|
· The various Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods
· Introduction to Mediation
· The process and practice of mediation
|· The Theory of conflict|
· Social mediation
· Communication – active listening and questioning skills
|· The opening statement|
· Getting to the heart of the conflict Prioritising issues
· The role of Negotiation in Mediation
|· Solutions and Joint Meetings|
· Variants in mediation and new approaches
| Day 5||Saturday,|
· Final practices
· What happens after the course?
|· Final Q&A |
· Final Practices
The price for participation is €850 per participant which includes the delivery of the Course, the assessment and feedback, all materials, refreshments and light lunches on all days.
To book to attend the Course, please download the registration form here and submit it to email@example.com
For any information, please call 24694097.
Full payment should be made before commencement of the Course on 15/3/19 to the following bank account or through JCC Smart, UCLan Cyprus
Bank account at Hellenic Bank Ltd/ Cyprus Cooperative Bank
Account Name: UCLan Cyprus Ltd
IBAN: CY89 0070 4430 0000 0000 4005 5808
Swift Address: CCBKCY2N
REF: Professional course on mediation (state your name)