Dr Aliakbar Jafari
PhD in Marketing and Consumer Research (University of Wolverhampton, UK, 2008)
MSc International Marketing Management (The University of Leeds, UK, 2004)
MA English Literature (The University of Tehran, Iran, 1999)
BA English Language and Literature (Shahid Beheshti University, Iran, 1997)
PG Certificate in Advanced Academic Studies (University of Strathclyde, UK, 2010)
Marketing (Executive education, Marketing strategy, Branding, Market formation and transformation, Consumption cultures, Intersections of markets and religions/spiritualities)
Reader in Marketing, University of Strathclyde, UK (2017 – present)
Research Fellow, Vlerick Business School, Belgium (2019 – present)
Senior Lecturer in Marketing, University of Strathclyde, UK (2013 – 2017)
Visiting Associate Professor, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece (2013 – 2016)
Lecturer in Marketing, University of Strathclyde, UK (2008 – 2012)
Visiting Lecturer in Marketing, University of Leicester, UK (2007 – 2008)
Visiting Lecturer in Business Management, University of Wolverhampton (2005 – 2008)
Export Supervisor, Iran Khodro Industrial Group, Iran (2001 – 2003)
Export Manager, Zar Spring Manufacturing Company, Iran (1999 – 2001)
Export Supervisor, Zar Spring Manufacturing Company, Iran (1997 – 1999)
- Fellow of the UK Chartered Institute of Marketing (FCIM)
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Associate Editor of Iranian Journal of Management Studies
- Member of the Editorial Board of Marketing Theory
- Member of the Editorial Review Board of Consumption, Markets & Culture
- Member of the Senior Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Islamic Marketing
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Halal Service Research
- Member of the Editorial Board of Tourism Planning and Development
My research interests include a variety of topics all of which rotate around the core concept of market dynamism; i.e., an interdisciplinary strand of research which conceptualizes markets as socially constructed domains and examines the nature/processes of market emergence and evolution and the actors, practices and institutions involved in (re)shaping market structures, contents, and interactions. These topics include branding practices and strategies, organizational change in response to internal and external triggers, conflicts and resolutions in multicultural marketplaces, marketplace resistance and opposition, politics and policies of consumption, consumer networks and movements, postcolonial approaches to the study of market phenomena (e.g., production, distribution, promotion, consumption, and disposal of products and services), and the intersections of the market, religions and spiritualities.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, Strategic Marketing Management and Cross-Cultural Buyer Behaviour (Masters level)
- Teaching Marketing Management for Executive MBA, Switzerland, Spain, UK, and UAE
- Teaching B2B Marketing for MSc International Marketing and Communication, Greece
- Director of Doctoral Programme, Department of Marketing, University of Strathclyde (2018 – present)
- Member of the Department of Marketing Management Committee, University of Strathclyde (2018 – present)
- Member of Department of Marketing Research Management Committee, University of Strathclyde (2018 – present)
- Member of Strathclyde Business School Postgraduate Research Committee, University of Strathclyde (2018 – present)
- Chief External Examiner – Postgraduate degrees awarded by the departments of Finance and Management, Economics, Development Studies, Law, Politics and International Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies and Academic Summer Schools, SOAS University of London (2019 – present)
- Advisory Board Member of Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing and Digital Communications, European University of Cyprus (2021 – present)
- External Examiner – BSc International Management Programme, SOAS University of London (2018 – present)
- External Examiner – MSc International Management Programme, SOAS University of London (2018 – present)
- External Examiner – MSc Management, MSc International Business & MSc Marketing, Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland (2019 – present)
- External Examiner – BSc Honours in Marketing and BSc International Marketing and Management, Newcastle University Business School, UK (2014 – 2017)
- Member of Strathclyde Business School Faculty Appeals Committee (2009 – 2014)
- Member of Strathclyde Business School Faculty Internationalization Committee (2013 – 2019)
- Director – MSc International Marketing Programme (2011 – 2018)
- Deputy Director – Departmental Postgraduate Taught Programmes (2008 – 2011)
- Ghaffari, M., Jafari, A., and Sandıkcı, Ö. (2019) The Role of Subtle and Mundane Institutional Work in Market Dynamics: a case of fashion clothing market. Journal of Business Research, 105, 434–442.
- Schellenberg, M. Harker, M. and Jafari, A. (2018) International Market Entry Mode – A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 26(7), 601-627.
- El-Jurdi, H., Batat, W., and Jafari, A. (2017) Harnessing the Power of Religion: Broadening Sustainability Research and Practice in the Advancement of Ecology. Journal of Macromarketing, 37(1), 7–24.
- Jafari, A. and Sandıkcı, Ö. (2015) ‘Islamic’ Consumers, Markets, and Marketing: A Critique of El-Bassiouny’s (2014) “The one-billion-plus marginalization”. Journal of Business Research, 68, 2676–2682.
- Jafari, A., Özhan Dedeoğlu, A., Üstündağli, E., Regany, F., and Batat, W. (2015) Rethinking Religion in the Context of Ethnicity and Wellbeing. Marketing Theory. 15(2), 287–295.
- Jafari, A. and Visconti, L.M. (2015) New Directions in Researching Ethnicity in Marketing and Consumer Behaviour: a Wellbeing Agenda. Marketing Theory, 15(2), 265–270.
- Jafari, A. and Maclaran, P. (2014) Escaping into the World of Make-up Routines in Iran. The Sociological Review, 62(2), 358-382.
- Taheri, B., Jafari, A. and O’Gorman, K. (2014) Keeping your audience: Presenting a visitor engagement scale. Tourism Management, 42 (June), 321–329.
- Jafari, A., Taheri, B., and vom Lehn, D. (2013) Cultural Consumption, Interactive Sociality and the Museum. Journal of Marketing Management, 29(15-16), 1729-1752.
- Jafari, A. and Goulding, C. (2013) Globalization, Reflexivity and the Project of the Self: A Virtual Intercultural Learning Process. Consumption, Markets & Culture, 16 (1), 65-90.
- Jafari, A., Fırat, A.F., Süerdem, A., Askegaard, S., and Dalli, D. (2012) Non-Western Contexts: the invisible half. Marketing Theory, 12(1), 3-12.
- Jafari, A. and Süerdem, A. (2012) An Analysis of Material Consumption Culture in the Muslim World. Marketing Theory, 12(1), 59-77.
- Jafari, A. (2012) Islamic Marketing: insights from a critical perspective. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(1), 22-34.
- Jafari, A. (2009) Misconceptions of Culture in Cross-cultural Business and Management Studies. International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy, 3 (4), 349–361.
- Jafari, A. and Goulding, C. (2008) “We Are Not Terrorists!” UK Based Iranians, Consumption Practices, and the ‘Torn Self’. Consumption, Markets & Culture, 11 (2), 73–93.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Stephan, J., Hamilton, K., Jafari, A. (2018) Riches to Rags to Riches – Consumers’ identity (re) construction after having overcome a spell of poverty. European Conference of the Association for Consumer Research. Bocconi University – Ghent University, Belgium.
- Stephan, J., Hamilton, K., and Jafari, A. (2016) Like a Phoenix from the Ashes: Being (sustainably) happy after overcoming a spell of poverty. Macromarketing Conference, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- Mamun, K.N., Jafari, A., and Dimitratos, P. (2015) The Entrepreneurial Act of International Opportunity Enactment: Evidence from Scottish SMEs. The 19th McGill International Entrepreneurship Conference, Birkbeck, University of London, UK.
- Jafari, A., Karababa, E., and Süerdem, A. (2011) Emancipatory Interpretive Consumer Research: “The Road Less Travelled By” in Islamic Societies. 6th Interpretive Consumer Research Workshop. May 2011, Denmark.
- Jafari, A. (2010) A Historical Review of the (Re)Formation of Markets in the Context of Islamic Capitalism. 1st Interdisciplinary Market Studies Workshop, Stockholm School of Economics – Stockhol, Sweden.
- Jafari, A. (2009) The Role of Escapism in Young Iranian Women’s Consumption of Cosmetics. European Marketing Academy Conference, Audencia School of Management – Nantes, France.
- Jafari, A. (2009) The Researcher’s Position in Interpretive Consumer Research. 5th Workshop on Interpretive Consumer Research, Bocconi University School of Management – Milan, Italy.
- Jafari, A. (2008) Globalisation and Intercultural Learning: Young Adult Iranians’ Consumption Practices and Lifestyle Choices. CCT Conference. Suffolk University – Boston, USA.
- Jafari, A. (2007) The Impact of Cultural Globalisation on the Interrelatedness of Identity Construction and Consumption Practices of Iranian Youth. European Conference of the Association for Consumer Research. Bocconi University – Milan, Italy.
- Jafari, A. and Goulding, C. (2007) Consumption Practices of UK Based Iranians. 4th Workshop on Interpretive Consumer Research. Euromed School of Management – Marseille, France.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- British Academy Grant, the role of imagination in shaping markets, co-investigator, £9,450, 2017 – 2018.
- The Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey, Research Fellowship, Ethno-religious conflicts in multicultural marketplaces, principal investigator, £10,400, 2016.
- University of Strathclyde George and Ann Cameron Memorial Fellowship, Ethno-religious conflicts in multicultural marketplaces, principal investigator, £975, 2015.
- Association for Consumer Research Conference Grant, Enhancing the state of consumer research in non-Western contexts, principal investigator, $3000, 2010.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Over 100 MSc dissertation supervision
- PhD supervision: Mohamed Youssef, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Marwa Aly, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Maryam Al-Muftah, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Nicholas Kaminas, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Qusay Hamdan, Vlerick Business School, Belgium.
- PhD supervision: Julius Stephen, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Ziad Hassan Saeed Abdelmoety, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Michael Schellenberg, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Khandker Nahin Mamun, University of Strathclyde, UK.
- PhD supervision: Oliver Brochert, University of Strathclyde, UK.
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Continuous PD training for Doctoral students, University of Strathclyde, UK (2018 – present)
- CPD training workshop, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (2019).
- CPD training session, In5 Innovation Centre, UAE (2017).
- CPD training panellist for Scottish SMEs, University of Strathclyde, UK (2013).
- CPD training for SMEs, Iranian Shopping Centre, Iran (2009 – 2012).
- CPD training, University of Mazandaran, Iran (2009).
- Best Special Session Award, Consumer Culture Theory Conference (2016).
- Citations of Excellence Award, Emerald Group (2015).
- Honourable Mention Award of the Year, Consumption, Markets & Culture (2013).
- Co-Track Chair, Academy of Marketing Science Conference (2021).
- Co-Chair of Doctoral Colloquium, R&D Management Conference (2021).
- Chair, International Policy Symposium on Multicultural Marketplaces (2018).
- Member of Programme Committee, Consumer Culture Theory Conference (2017).
- Co-editor, Special Commentary Section in Marketing Theory (2014).
- Track Chair, 38th Annual Macromarketing Conference (2013).
- Co-Track Chair, 4th Transformative Consumer Research Conference (2013).
- Co-editor, Special Issue of Marketing Theory (2013).
- Track Chair, Biennial Conference of the Intl. Society for Markets and Development (2012).
- Co-editor, Virtual Special Issue of Marketing Theory (2012).
- Co-editor, Special Issue of Marketing Theory (2012).
- Chair, ACR International Workshop on Consumer Research in Non-Western Contexts (2010).
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Invited Speaker, Babeș-Bolyai University, Romania (2019).
- Invited Speaker, World Halal Summit, Turkey (2018).
- Invited Speaker, Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board, UK (2018).
- Invited Speaker, Scottish Parliament, UK (2018).
- Invited Speaker, Halal Industry Conference, UK (2018).
- Invited speaker, Islamic Business Industry Symposium, Malaysia (2012).
- Reviewer for many academic journals including European Journal of Marketing, International Marketing Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Marketing Theory, California Management Review, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Consumption, Markets & Culture, Journal of Consumer Culture, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Macromarketing, Journal of Customer Behaviour, Journal of Brand Management, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Political Studies, Iranian Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, and Tourism Management.