Dr Andriani Piki
LECTURER IN COMPUTING AND DEPUTY COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) COMPUTING
PhD (Royal Holloway University of London, 2012)
MSc Business Information Systems (Royal Holloway University of London, 2006)
BSc (Hons) Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2005)
Programme in Skills of Teaching to Inspire Learning (Royal Holloway University of London, 2009)
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK (2009)
Computer Science (Educational Technology, Software Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Systems Analysis and Design, Database Systems, Management of Information Systems)
Lecturer in Computing, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (September 2020 – Present)
Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Business Computing, P.A. College (2015 – 2020)
Head, Research and Development Department, P.A. College (2017 – 2020)
Adjunct Faculty, Open University of Cyprus (2015 – 2016)
Lecturer in Computer Science and Business Computing, P.A. College (2013 – 2015)
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant, Royal Holloway University of London, UK (2008 – 2010)
- Member of the International Association of Mobile Learning (IAmLearn), (2017-Present).
Educational technology; Learner engagement and motivation with computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL); Mobile and contextual learning (mLearning); Games-based learning and gamification; Technology and usability evaluation; Human-Computer Interaction (HCI); Smart and intelligent workplace learning environments; Inclusive educational technology; Gender inclusivity in computing; Social technologies; Employability and transferable skills development.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership (UCLan Cyprus)
- Deputy Course Leader, BSc (Hons) Computing (2020 – Present)
- Teaching/Module Leadership: Software Development, Computer Systems and Security, Introduction to Programming, Explorations in Computing, Honours Degree (Double) Project, Advanced Software Engineering Techniques, Object Oriented Methods in Computing
Previous Teaching Experience
- Teaching/Module Leadership: Systems Analysis and Design, Database Systems, Database Design and Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Software Engineering, Computer Organisation and Architecture, Networks and Communications Technology, Operating Systems, Management of Information Systems, Information Technologies and Services, Computing for Business, Project Management, Information and Communication Systems Project Management (MSc), People and Technology (MSc), Masters Project (MSc)
- Member, Teaching and Learning Enhancement Committee, UCLan Cyprus (September 2020 – Present)
- Piki, A. (2022). Re-imagining the Distributed Nature of Learner Engagement in Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Contexts in the Post-pandemic Era. In: Meiselwitz, G. (eds) Social Computing and Social Media: Applications in Education and Commerce. HCII 2022 (June 26-July 1, 2022). Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), vol 13316. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-05064-0_13.
- Paspallis, N., Kasenides, N. and Piki, A. (2022). A Software Architecture for Developing Distributed Games that Teach Coding and Algorithmic Thinking. IEEE Computers, Software, and Applications Conference (COMPSAC 2022), June 27-July 1, 2022.
- Piki, A., Andreou, L., and Markou, M (2022). Students’ Perspectives on the Emergency Transition to Online Education – A Case Study in Mathematics Education. The Proceedings of the 16th annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED 2022), 7-8 March, 2022.
- Piki, A. (2020). An exploration of student experiences with social media and mobile technologies during emergency transition to remote education. The Proceedings of the 19thWorld Conference on Mobile, Blended and Seamless Learning (mLearn 2020), November 2-4, 2020, Cairo, Egypt. (Best Academic Paper Award).
- Piki, A. (2017). Learner engagement in mobile computer-supported collaborative learning contexts: An integrative framework. The Proceedings of the 16th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning (mLearn 2017), October 30-November 1, 2017, Larnaca, Cyprus. ACM.
- Kekkou A., Markou M., and Piki A. (2017). The Social Contribution of Systems Development Towards Breast Cancer Awareness. Cyprus International Journal of Management. Vol. 19(1), pp. 13-20.
- Mansouri, S.A. and Piki, A. (2016). An exploration into the impact of blogs on students’ learning: Case studies in postgraduate business education. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 53 (3). pp. 260 – 273.
- Piki, A., Markou, M., and Vasiliou, A. (2016). Learning Through Play: The Role of Learning and Engagement Theory in the Development of Educational Games for Intellectually Challenged Children. International Conference on Interactive Technologies and Games (iTAG 2016). IEEE Xplore Digital Library (Best Academic Paper Award).
- Piki, A., and Rosenberg, D. (2013). Experiential Learning Using Collaborative Technologies: Case Study in Business Computing Education. Cyprus International Journal of Management. Vol. 18(1), pp. 17-39.
- Córdoba-Pachón, J.R., and Piki, A. (2012). Facilitating project management education through groups as systems. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 30(1), pp. 83-93.
- Piki, A. (2010). Post-Implementation Evaluation of Collaborative Technology: A Case Study in Business Education. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems Evaluation, Vol. 13(1) pp. 77-86.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Ștefan, I.A., Gheorghe, A.F., Ștefan, A., Piki, A., Tsalapatas, H. and Heidmann, O. (2022). Constructing Seamless Learning through Game-Based Learning Experiences. Proceedings of the 21st World Conference on Mobile, Blended and Seamless Learning (mLearn 2022), Heerlen, Netherlands, 10-12 October, 2022.
- Piki, A., Markou, M., Lendzhova, V., and Ștefan, I.A. (2022). Challenges in Piloting Gamified Learning Technology Towards Inclusive Education. The Proceedings of the 18th International Scientific Conference eLearning and Software for Education (eLSE 2022), Bucharest, Romania, 12-13 May, 2022.
- Piki, A., Markou, M., Lendzhova, V., (2022). Hybrid Piloting Guidelines for Gamified Learning Technology. Presentation at The Digital Learning Ecosystem – STEM Perspectives and Renewable Energy Best Practices Workshop, The 20th National Conference of New and Renewable Energy Sources (CNSNRE 2022), 3 June, 2022.
- Piki, A., Ștefan, I.A., Ștefan, A., and Gheorghe, A.F. (2020). Mitigating the challenges of mobile games-based learning through gamified lesson paths. The Proceedings of the 19th World Conference on Mobile, Blended and Seamless Learning (mLearn 2020),Cairo, Egypt, 2-4 November, 2020.
- Piki, A. (2014). Learner Engagement in Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning Activities: Natural or Nurtured? The Proceedings of International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII 2014), Crete, Greece, 22-27 June, 2014.
- Stănescu, I.A., Piki, A., and Cîrnu, C.E. (2011). Bridging the Gap between Industry and Education: The Impact of Social Networks. The Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Virtual Learning (ICVL 2011), Bucharest, Romania, 28-29 October, 2011, pp. 185-191.
- Piki, A. (2010). Towards a holistic conceptual framework of learner engagement in CSCL environments. The Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on e-Learning (ECEL 2010), Porto, Portugal, 4-5 November, 2010.
- Piki, A. and Rosenberg, D. (2010). An Interdisciplinary Analysis of Experiential Learning with Collaborative Technology. The Proceedings of the Social Intelligence Design Conference (SID 2010), Egham, UK, 13-16 September, 2010.
- Ştefan, A., Stănescu, I. A., Piki, A., & Chete, G. (2010). Mobile Ecosystems in a Nutshell. The Proceedings of the 6th International Scientific Conference on eLearning and Software for Education (eLSE 2010), Bucharest, Romania, 15-16 April 2010.
- Piki, A. (2009). Portraits of Learners: An Ethnographic Study of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Practices. The Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on e-Learning (ECEL 2009), Bari, Italy, 29-30 October 2009. pp. 458-465.
- Piki, A. (2009). Post-Implementation Evaluation of Collaborative Technology: A Case Study in Business Education. The Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation (ECIME 2009), Gothenburg, Sweden, 17-18 September 2009, pp. 400-407.
- Piki, A., & Córdoba-Pachón, J-R. (2009). Using E-Learning 2.0 Tools in Business Education: A Case Study. The Proceedings of the 5th International Scientific Conference on eLearning and Software for Education (eLSE 2009), Bucharest, Romania, 9-10 April 2009, pp. 297-306.
Selective Research Funding/Grant Capture
- Erasmus+ EACEA/34/2019 (Social Inclusion and Common Values – Action: the contribution in the field of education and training). Title: INCLUDEME – Inclusive digital environments to enable high-quality education and training for disadvantaged learners. Work Package and Task Leader. Project amount: €443.559,00 (2021-2024).
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- A. D. (MSc): Development of an educational game for raising Cybersecurity awareness (2021-2022)
- Best Academic Paper Award (2020), 19th World Conference on Mobile, Blended and Seamless Learning (mLearn 2020), Cairo, Egypt.
- Best Academic Paper Award & Prize (2016), International Conference on Interactive Technologies and Games Conference (iTAG 2016), Nottingham, UK.
- Prize & Award for Best PhD Presentation (2010), STELLAR Network of Excellence.
- Award for PhD thesis in the field of Technology-Enhanced Learning (2010), STELLAR Doctoral Academy.
- Full Research Scholarship for undertaking Doctoral studies (2007 – 2010), Royal Holloway University of London, UK.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Publications Chair, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Reality (ICIR 2022).
- Posters Co-Chair, 9th ACM Celebration of Women in Computing (womENcourage 2022), Cyprus.
- Scientific Committee Member, International Council for Educational Media Annual International Conference (ICEM_IC2022 and 2020), Portugal.
- Scientific Committee Member, 2nd International Congress on 21st Century Literacies (ICCL 2022), Portugal
- Scientific Committee Member, 20th National Conference of New and Renewable Energy Sources (CNSNRE 2022), Romania.
- Web Chair, EAI International Conference on Game Theory for Networks (EAI GameNets 2021), Cyprus.
- Program Committee Member, Designing and facilitating Educational Location-based Applications Workshop (DELbA 2020), Germany.
- Reviewer, Innovations in Education and Teaching International Journal.
- Reviewer, Studies in Higher Education Journal.
- Reviewer, Interaction Design and Architectures Journal.
- Editorial Board Member, Interacções Journal.
- Researcher, iCOM ICT Research Centre.
- Member, International Association of Mobile Learning (IAmLearn).