Dr Anthi Avloniti
LECTURER IN BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT AND COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
PhD in Management (Kent Business School, University of Kent, 2014)
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
MA in Business Management (Kingston Business School, Kingston University, 2010)
BA (Hons) in Business Administration (Athens University of Economics and Business, 2009)
Lecturer in Business and Management, UCLan Cyprus (2014-2017)
Associate Lecturer in Business and Management, UCLan Cyprus (2013-14)
Associate Lecturer in International Business, Kent Business School (2011-2012)
International Business; Cross-Cultural Management; Internationalization; MNEs; Cultural and Psychic Distance; Intra-Cultural Diversity, Entry Mode type, Top-Management-Team Diversity, Diversity in the Board of Directors.
Roles and Responsibilities
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BA (Hons) Business Administration
- Linking students with internship positions and/or job openings in the market
- Development of students’ employability skills
- Curriculum development, validation and ongoing enhancement of the course
- Coordinating the teaching team
- Leadership and monitoring of student progression
- Oversee all matters relevant to the students enrolled in the course
- Modules Taught: Business Strategy, Strategic Marketing Management, Contemporary Marketing Communication Issues, Managing Across Cultures, Ethics, Management in Context, Managing for Strategic Success in the T, H & E, Strategy and International Management, Introduction to Strategic Management, Advanced Strategic Management, International Marketing, Dissertation, Internship.
- Member, Research and Innovation Committee
- Member, Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee
- Member, Student Experience Committee (School of Business and Management Lead)
- Avloniti, A. and Filippaios, F. (2017) “Evaluating the Effects of Cultural Difference on Corporate Performance: A Meta-Analysis”, Global Business and Economics Review, Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp.54-87.
- Avloniti, A. and Filippaios, F. (2014), “Unbundling the differences between Psychic and Cultural distance: An empirical examination of the existing measures”, International Business Review, Jun2014, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p660-674. (ABS 3*)
Christou, P., Avloniti, A. & Farmaki, A. (2018), “Guests’ perceptions of emotionally expressive and non-expressive service providers within the hospitality context”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.76, pp.152-62.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- “The moderating impact of Intra-Cultural Variation on the Relationship between Home-Host Distance and MNE Performance”, Research paper presented at European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Uppsala, Sweden (11-13 of December 2014).
- “Board Diversity as a Mediating Factor of the Relationship between National Diversity and MNE Performance”, Research paper presented at Academy of International Business (Journal of International Business Studies Paper Developmental Workshop in Vancouver, Canada June 2014).
- “An examination of the existing measures of cultural difference. Does one size fit all?”, Research paper presented at European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Brighton, UK (7-9 of December 2012).
- “Evaluating the Effects of Cultural Difference on Corporate Performance. A Meta-Analysis”: Research paper presented at Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference in Liverpool, UK (29-31 of March 2012).
- Emotional expressions of employees within a cross-cultural context and implications IHRM: Evidence from the Tourism field”, Research paper presented at the European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Milan, Italy (14-16 of December 2017).
- “Cross-cultural differences of inner expressions in service delivery: Evidence from the Hospitality and Tourism industry”, Research Paper presented at the EuroCHRIE Conference in Nairobi, Kenya (23-25 of October 2017).
- “Board Diversity as a Moderator of Home-Host National Diversity: Evidence from UK Multinational Enterprises “, Research paper to be presented at the IABPAD Conference in Athens, Greece (22-25 July 2019).
- “Introducing and Testing the impact of Cultural Tolerance on Firm Performance: The case of UK Marketing MNEs”, Research Paper to be presented at the IABPAD Conference in Athens, Greece (22-25 July 2019).
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- MSc Dissertation, “The impact of Psychic Distance and Cultural Tolerance of the performance of UK based MNEs”.
- MBA Dissertation, “The relationship between Psychic Distance and MNE performance in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry”
- MBA Dissertation, “Investigating the performance of marketing multinational companies from the UK when expanding to countries with high cultural distance, psychic distance and intra-cultural diversity”
- MBA Dissertation, “Organizational Culture: Exploring the influence of organizational culture on managers’ organizational commitment and gender differences within’
- MSc Dissertation, “Critical economic events and employees’ understanding of CSR policies
- MSc Dissertation, “Key success factors and challenges in encouraging consumers to engage with theatrical events – The case of Cyprus”
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Reviewer for high ranking journals (such as International Business Review) and global conferences in IB (such as Academy of International Business)
- HRDA Certified Instructor on “Branding Personality and Marketing Communications”
- Erasmus + traineeship to University of Macedonia (12-16th of March 2019) for teaching and delivering research seminars on Cross-Cultural Management
- Workshop: “Speed dating Workshop on Developing Interview Skills”, organised at UCLan Cyprus (7th of January 2019)
- Workshops: “Integrated Marketing Communications – Reaching out to Stakeholders in Higher Education” and “Strategic Planning toolkit in Higher Education” delivered to academics of the RANEPA University, Russia (7-17th of February 2017)
- Workshop/competition: “Be a Marketing Consultant” organised and delivered at UCLan Cyprus (9th of December 2016)
- Competition: organised the “Design the Innovo Society Logo” competition with a winning prize offered by CEDAR (24th of March 2015).