Dr Anthi Avloniti
LECTURER IN BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT, COURSE LEADER OF MBA DL
PhD in Management (Kent Business School, University of Kent, 2014)
MA in Business Management (Kingston Business School, Kingston University, 2010)
BA (Hons) in Business Administration (Athens University of Economics and Business, 2009)
HRDA Certified Instructor, 2019
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
Business and Management (International Business)
Lecturer in Business and Management, UCLan Cyprus (2014-ongoing)
Associate Lecturer in Business and Management, UCLan Cyprus (2013-14)
Associate Lecturer in International Business, University of Kent (2011-2012)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
- Fellow of the Centre for Entrepreneurial Development, Alliance, Research (CEDAR), Cyprus
- Fellow of the Finance Governance & Accounting Research (FIGAR) cluster, UCLan Cyprus
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- European International Business Academy (EIBA)
My main research interests are in the field of International Business focusing on the internationalisation of MNEs and SMEs. At the core of my research lies diversity – i.e. diversity within and outside the company – and its impact on the performance and international expansion of SMEs and large MNEs. My research focuses on the diversity within the company by examining the variation in the board of directors and top-management-team, while diversity outside the company is examined by researching cultural and psychic distance, intra-cultural variation and entrepreneurial activity differences between the home and host countries.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MBA Distance-Learning
- Deputy Course Leader, MBA
- List of modules taught: Business Functions, Business Environment, Business Strategy, Work-Placed Learning Project, Enterprise Project, Developing Business Plans, Managing Across Cultures, Ethics, Management in Context, Managing for Strategic Success in the TH&E, Strategy and International Management, Introduction to Strategic Management, Advanced Strategic Management, Strategic Marketing Management, Contemporary Marketing Communication Issues, International Marketing, Dissertation.
- Member, Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee
- Member, Research and Innovation Committee
- Member, Student Experience Committee (School of Business and Management Lead)
- Academic Advisor, Business Finalists (2015-2020)
- Supervisor, Doctoral Thesis
- Avloniti, A. and Filippaios, F. (2014), “Unbundling the differences between Psychic and Cultural distance: An empirical examination of the existing measures”, International Business Review, Jun2014, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p660-674.
- Christou, P., Avloniti, A. & Farmaki, A. (2018), “Guests’ perceptions of emotionally expressive and non-expressive service providers within the hospitality context”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.76, pp.152-62.
- Avloniti, A. and Filippaios, F. (2017) “Evaluating the Effects of Cultural Difference on Corporate Performance: A Meta-Analysis”, Global Business and Economics Review, Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp.54-87.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- “Introducing and Testing the impact of Cultural Tolerance on Firm Performance: The case of UK Marketing MNEs”, Research Paper presented at the IABPAD Conference in Athens, Greece (22-25 July 2019).
- “Emotional expressions of employees within a cross-cultural context and implications IHRM: Evidence from the Tourism field”, Research paper presented at the European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Milan, Italy (14-16 of December 2017).
- “Cross-cultural differences of inner expressions in service delivery: Evidence from the Hospitality and Tourism industry”, Research Paper presented at the EuroCHRIE Conference in Nairobi, Kenya (23-25 of October 2017).
- “The moderating impact of Intra-Cultural Variation on the Relationship between Home-Host Distance and MNE Performance”, Research paper presented at European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Uppsala, Sweden (11-13 of December 2014).
- “Board Diversity as a Mediating Factor of the Relationship between National Diversity and MNE Performance”, Research paper presented at Academy of International Business (Journal of International Business Studies Paper Developmental Workshop in Vancouver, Canada June 2014).
- “An examination of the existing measures of cultural difference. Does one size fit all?”, Research paper presented at European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Brighton, UK (7-9 of December 2012).
- “Evaluating the Effects of Cultural Difference on Corporate Performance. A Meta-Analysis”: Research paper presented at Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference in Liverpool, UK (29-31 of March 2012).
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Horizon 2020, COST Open call OC-2018-3, “Food Safety Culture and Food Safety Management in Food Supply Chains”, role: researcher, status: submission in Nov. 2020.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- PhD Thesis, “Introducing and testing the impact of Cultural Tolerance and Psychic Distance on Decentralization and Firm Performance”
- MBA Dissertation, “Impact of Ethical Leadership on Job Satisfaction and Organisational Commitment for the Hospitality and Tourism Industry – The Case of Cyprus”
- MBA Dissertation, “CRM in Banking”
- MBA Dissertation, “The relationship between Psychic Distance and MNE performance in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry”
- MBA Dissertation, “Employee commitment in the Public sector versus the Private sector”
- MBA Dissertation, “Investigating the performance of marketing multinational companies from the UK when expanding to countries with high cultural distance, psychic distance and intra-cultural diversity”
- MBA Dissertation, “Why consumers prefer Airbnb to traditional hotels: Evidence from Cyprus”
- MBA Dissertation, “Organizational Culture: Exploring the influence of organizational culture on managers’ commitment and gender differences within’
- MSc Dissertation, “The impact of Psychic Distance and Cultural Tolerance of the performance of UK based MNEs”.
- MSc Dissertation, “Critical economic events and employees’ understanding of CSR policies
- MSc Dissertation, “Key success factors and challenges in encouraging consumers to engage with theatrical events – The case of Cyprus
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Member of the consultancy team of the “Small Business Support Program” in the Troodos region funded by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Executive course titled “It’s All about Personality: How to create a Personality for your Brand” targeted for entrepreneurs and managers in Cyprus.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities (selective)
- Competition: “IdeaFest” Startup competition, organized and presented at UCLan Cyprus (10th March 2020)
- Erasmus + traineeship to University of Macedonia (12-16th of March 2019)
- Workshop: “Speed dating Workshop on Interview Skills”, delivered at UCLan Cyprus (7th of January 2019)
- Competition: “The rise and fall of a GIANT” (Business room – SoBM Escape the Room Challenge) (18th and 22nd of February 2019)
- Workshops: “Integrated Marketing Communications – Reaching out to Stakeholders in Higher Education” and “Strategic Planning toolkit in Higher Education” delivered to academics of the RANEPA University, Russia (07-17th of February 2017)
- Workshop/competition: “Be a Marketing Consultant” organised and delivered at UCLan Cyprus (9th of December 2016)
- Seminar: “EU Funding promoting youth entrepreneurship” organized at UCLan Cyprus (12th of November 2015)
- Research Seminar: “The role of Board Diversity in MNEs”, delivered at UCLan Cyprus (11th of April 2014)