Dr Efstathios Christodoulides
LECTURER IN SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCE AND COURSE LEADER IN BSC (HONS) SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCE
Ph.D., Sport Sciences – Sport and Social Sciences (Doctoral School of Sport Sciences, Semmelweis University, Budapest, 2012)
M.Ed., Physical Education and Sport Sciences (University of Physical Education, Budapest, 2005)
Coaching degree in Swimming (University of Physical Education, IOC and Olympic Solidarity, Budapest, 2005)
Coaching degree in Recreation (University of Physical Education, IOC and Olympic Solidarity, Budapest, 2005)
EQF Level 4 Certification in Personal Training, International Wellness Institute (Budapest, 2005)
Certificate in Higher Education ‘Teaching Toolkit’ (University of Central Lancashire, 2017)
Higher Education Academy Associate Fellow (UCLan, 2017)
Physical Education, Sport and Social Sciences
- Lecturer in Sports and Exercise Science, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (2017 – Present)
- Associate Lecturer, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus, Sports and Exercise Sciences (2016 – 2017)
- Research Associate, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland, School of Education (2015 – 2017)
- Physical Education and Health Teacher, Kungsholmens Gymnasium Stockholm, Sweden, (2014 – 2015)
- Associate Lecturer, University of Nicosia, Physical Education and Sports Science (2008 – 2012)
Member of the International Physical Literacy Association, European College of Sport Science, Hungarian Society of Sports Science, Hungarian Sociological Association
- Physical literacy and physical education
- Sport and physical activity in contemporary society
- Physical activity and quality of life
- The role of sport in socialization and its sport-related pedagogical aspects
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership (UCLan Cyprus)
- Course Leader in BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Sciences (2020 – Present)
- Deputy Course Leader in BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Sciences (2017 – 2020)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Pedagogy and Sociology Issues in Physical Education, Planning and Instructing Exercises for Health and Fitness, Applied Principles and Techniques in Sports 1, Applied Principles and Techniques in Sports 2, Advanced Principles of Exercise and Training, Professional Work Experience 1, Double Research Project
- Member of the University Student Experience and Engagement Committee (SEEC) (2020 – Present)
- Member of the University Erasmus Committee (2018 – 2020)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Pedagogy and Sociology Issues in Physical Education, Coaching Process, Health and Fitness, Introduction to Gym Instruction, Careers in Sport, Advances in Fitness Training, Sports Science Support: Issues and Practices
- Hänggi, J., Spinnler, S., Christodoulides, E., Gramespacher, E., Taube, W., & Doherty, A. “Assessment of sedentary behaviour in children by wearable cameras: development and reliability of an annotation protocol”. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Article in Press.
- Christodoulides, E., Tsivitanidou, O., & Hadjimatheou, A. “Sport didactics in Cyprus: learning from the past, in the present and for the future” in the Book Sports Didactics in Europe: History, Current Trends and Future Developments. In Press.
- Ghorbani, , Dana, A., & Christodoulides, E. 2020, “Effects of external focus of attention on learning static balance among girls with ADHD”. Biomedical Human Kinetics, 12(1), pp. 69 – 74.
- Dana, A., and Christodoulides, E. 2020, “The Effects of a period of Selected Physical Activities on Improving the Skills of manipulation and locomotion in Children with neuropsychological learning disabilities”. Journal of Rehabilitation Sciences and Research, 7(1), pp. 21-30.
- Dana, A., Sabzi, A., H., & Christodoulides, E. 2019, “The Effect of Virtual Reality Exercises on Dynamic Balance of Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder”. Journal of Humanities Insights, 3(3), pp. 123-128.
- Christodoulides, E. 2012, “The impact of the advancements in science and technology on the Cypriots’ physical activities over time”. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, 55(1) pp. 56-62.
- Christodoulides, E., Derri, V., Tsivitanidou, O., & Kioumourtzoglou, E. 2012, “Perceptions of different age and gender Cypriot schoolchildren of their social skills in the physical education class”. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 12(3), pp. 371-380.
- Christodoulides E. 2012, “Generational differences on motivational factors that drive Cypriots to participate in sporting activities” Biomedical Human Kinetics, 4, pp. 54 – 60.
- Christodoulides E. 2012, “Impact of socializing factors on three Cypriot generations’ sporting activity and sport consumption” Hungarian Review of Sport Sciences-Magyar Sporttudományi Szemle, 49, pp. 11 – 17.
- Christodoulides E. 2009, “Changes in Society, Changes in Sport: The Case of Cyprus” International Quarterly of Sport Sciences, 3, pp. 1 – 4.
- Christodoulides E. 2006, “Impact of Social and Demographic Characteristics on Sport for All Participation in Cyprus” in the Book Movement Recreation for All, 67 – 82.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- 2019, ‘ΠΑΙΔΙ ΚΑΙ ΒΙΟΗΘΙΚΗ’. Cyprus National Bioethics Committee. Presentation title: ‘Physical literacy and lifestyle’
- 2019, ‘1st Sports Sociology Symposium’ UCLan Cyprus. Presentation title: ‘Physical Literacy and Culture’
- 2019, ‘3rd International Sport and Innovation Conference’. University of Physical Education, Budapest, Hungary
- 2018, ‘Performance in Sports’ – 10th Annual meeting of the Swiss Society of Sport Science. Swiss Society of Sport Science, Sportwissenschaftliche Gesellschaft der Schweiz (SGS). Presentation title: ‘Intensities of screen and non-screen sedentary activities in Swiss children’
- 2018, ‘1st International Sport Management Symposium’. CEDAR and UCLan Cyprus. Presentation title: ‘Physical Literacy and Sports’
Selective Research Funding / Grant Capture
- Erasmus+ Sport Collaborative partnerships, Villages on the Move Go (VOMGO), Researcher, €397,390, 2020 – 2022
- Erasmus+ Sport Collaborative partnerships, Basketball for Life Skills (BASKI), Researcher, €39,6410, 2020 – 2022
- Centre for Teacher Education & Centre for Sports Science and University Sports
- University of Vienna, Sports Didactics in Europe – History, Current Trends and Future Developments, Principal Investigator in Cyprus, 2019 – 2020
- Swiss Federal Office for Sport (Bundesamt für Sport BASPO) & FHNW, Sport – Media – Children, Associate Researcher, 2013 – 2016
- Cyprus Anti-Doping Authority (CyADA), Knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of Cypriot students, teachers and coaches on doping, Researcher, 2014
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Simay Kanan (PhD)‘The Psychological and Sociological factors affecting football players in Cyprus’ 2nd Supervisor, 2020
- Independent Research Project ‘Teaching approaches and barriers in Secondary Physical Education Setting in Cyprus’, 2018
- Fulbright Scholar Award. J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs 2020/21
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Humanities Insight
- Member of the Scientific Committee – Académie Internationale des Sciences et d’ Innovation du Fitness AISIF – Geneva, Switzerland
- National Educator – Cyprus Anti-Doping Authority CyADA
- Cyprus International Representative – International Physical Literacy Association (IPLA)