Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos
Visiting Assistant Professor in Management (with specialization in sports) & Director of UNESCO Chair
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), 2013. Department of Sport & Event Management – Coventry Business School, Coventry University (UK) – Dissertation: Decision-Making in English Football: The case of Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Graduate Diploma in Management (GradDip), London School of Economics (LSE), 2017-2022
- Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert) in Higher Education Professional Practice, 2012. Coventry University (UK).
- Master’s by Research (MRes) Sport Management & the Business of Football, 2008 (with Distinction). Birkbeck, University of London (UK).
- Bachelor of Arts (BA Hons) in Sport Management, 2006 (1st Class). University of Birmingham (UK).
- Apolytirion in Economy & Administration, 1995 (total grade: 17/20). 1st Professional Lyceum of Corinth Faculty (Greece).
Additional Teaching Qualifications
- 2010- Coventry University: Certificate in ‘Supervising Master’s Research students’
- 2009- University of Salford: Certificate in ‘Assessment & Feedback’
- 2009- University of Salford: Certificate in ‘Technology for Teaching’
- Assistant Professor of Sports Business Management. School of Business & Management, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus, 1.0 (February 2019 -present).
- Associate Professor of Sport Management. Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Administration, Molde University College, Norway, 0.2 (November 2014 – present).
- Associate Lecturer in Management. School of Business & Management, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (September 2014 – June 2015).
- Lecturer in Sport & Event Management. Coventry Business School, Coventry University, UK, 1.0 (September 2010 – July 2014).
- Graduate Teaching Assistant. Salford Business School, University of Salford, UK (September 2008 – June 2010).
- Lecturer in Further Education (P/T). University College Birmingham, UK (September 2007 – June 2008).
Editorial Board Member:
- European Sport Management Quarterly (January 2017-today) / ABS 3*
- Journal of Global Sport Management (January 2017-today)
- International Journal of Sport Communication (July 2017-today)
- International Journal of Sport Management (October 2017- today)
- Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal (2013-today)
- Managing Sport and Leisure (February 2020-today)
- International Journal of Sport Marketing & Sponsorship (March 2020-today)
- Sports Management International Journal Choregia (2012-today)
- Athens Journal of Sports (2014 – today)
Member in Academic Review Panels
- Invited Judge for 2011-12 Coubertin Olympic Awards Student Essay Competition aiming to promote research on how the Olympic ideals can help businesses balance commercial success with their social responsibilities.
- Academic Member of the Jury Committee for the 2015 EASM New Researcher Award, Dublin, Ireland (April 2015).
- Invited Judge for EURAM 2016 Managing Sport SIG Awards sponsored by Emerald, Paris, France (May 2016).
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- Research Associate of the Centre for the Eurasian Sport Industry (CESI)
- Centre for Entrepreneurial Development, Alliance, Research (CEDAR), UCLan Cyprus
- Elected Board Member-at-large at the European Association for Sport Management (EASM): 2017-2019
- Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER), Head of Sports Research Unit: 2008-2016
- North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM): 2014-present
- Sport Management Australia New Zealand (SMAANZ): 2014-present
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI): 2014-2016
- Research Member of the Centre for the International Business of Sport (CIBS) at Coventry Business School, Coventry University (UK): 2010-2014.
The crux of my research lies in examining organizational processes and concepts that facilitate (or sometimes destroy) value creation and good governance. I do so by drawing on the context of sport organizations, and particularly the newly established charitable foundations that serve as the primary corporate social responsibility (CSR) delivery mechanisms thereof.
–Corporate social responsibility of and through sport
–Institutional logics / institutional work
–Social media in sport
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- MBA-Distance Learning Director (Sept 2017- present)
- MBA Deputy Director (Sept 2017- present)
- MD4064: Designing a Research Project (MBA) / Module Leader
- TL2050: Sport Tourism (BABA & BA THE) / Module Leader
- HR2010: Research Methods (BABA) / Module Leader
- MD4002: Management Learning & Research (MBA Distance Learning) / Module Leader
- MD4043: Leadership & Management (MBA) / Module Leader
- TL4129: Management Consulting Project (MA THE) / Module Leader
[* I co-deliver a number of other modules at UG and PG level]
- Deputy Head School of Business and Management (November 2019 – today)
- Elected member of the University’s Senate (2018-today)
- Member of the Research Mentoring Team: 2015-today
- School of Business and Management, Research & Innovation Committee (2015-2017)
- Chadwick, S., Parnell, D., Widdop, P., & Anagnostopoulos, C. (2019) Routledge Handbook of Football Business and Management (Eds.). Oxon: Routledge. ISBN: 978-1-138-57907-1 (pages 607)
- Winand, M. & Anagnostopoulos, C. (2019) Research Handbook on Sport Governance (Eds.). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78643-481-4. (pages 462).
Refereed Journal Articles (selective)
- Zeimers, G., Lefebvre, A., Winand, M., Anagnostopoulos, C., Zintz, T. & Willem, A. (2020) Organisational factors for corporate social responsibility implementation in sport federations: a qualitative comparative analysis, European Sport Management Quarterly, DOI: 10.1080/16184742.2020.1731838 [ABS 3*]
- Zeimers, G., Anagnostopoulos, C., Zintz, T. & Willem, A. (2019) Examining collaboration among nonprofit organizations for social responsibility programs. Nonprofit Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Vol. 48(5), pp. 953-974. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0899764019837616 [ABS 3*]
- Zeimers, G., Anagnostopoulos, C., Zintz, T., & Willem, A. (2019). Organisational learning for corporate social responsibility in sport organisations. European Sport Management Quarterly, Vol. 19(1), pp. 80-101. https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2018.1546752 [ABS 3*]
- Anagnostopoulos, C. Parganas, P., Chadwick, S., & Fenton, A. (2018). Branding in pictures: Using Instagram as a brand management tool in professional sport team organisations. European Sport Management Quarterly, Vol. 18(4), pp. 413-438. https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2017.1410202 [ABS 3*]
- Walzel, S., Robertson, J., & Anagnostopoulos, C. (2018). Corporate social responsibility in professional team sports organizations: An integrative review. Journal of Sport Management, Vol. 32(6), pp. 511-530. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.2017-0227 [ABS 2*]
- Roberts, S., Chadwick, S., & Anagnostopoulos, C. (2017) Sponsorship programmes and corruption in sport: Management responses to a growing threat. Journal of Strategic Marketing, Vol. 26(1), pp. 19-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2017.1344292 [ABS 2*]
- Parganas, P., Papadimitriou, D., Anagnostopoulos, C., & Theodoropoulos, A. (2017). Linking sport team sponsorship to perceived switching cost and switching intentions. European Sport Management Quarterly, Vol. 17(4), pp. 457-484. https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2017.1318410 [ABS 3*]
- Anagnostopoulos, C., Gillooly, L., Cook, D., Parganas, P., & Chadwick, S. (2017). Stakeholder communication in 140 characters or less: A study of community sport foundations. VOLUNTAS International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations. Vol. 28(5), pp. 2224–2250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-016-9802-4 [ABS 2*]
- Kolyperas, D., Anagnostopoulos, C., Chadwick, S., & Sparks, L. (2016). Applying a communicating vessels framework to CSR value co-creation: Empirical evidence from professional team sport organizations. Journal of Sport Management, Vol. 30(6), pp. 702-719. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.2016-0032 [ABS 2*]
- Anagnostopoulos, C., Winand, M., & Papadimitriou, D. (2016). Passion in the workplace: Empirical insights from team sport organisations. European Sport Management Quarterly, Vol. 16(4), pp. 385-412. https://doi.org/10.1080/16184742.2016.1178794 [ABS 3*]
- Parganas, P., Anagnostopoulos, C., & Chadwick, S. (2015). “You’ll never tweet alone”: Managing sports brands through social media. Journal of Brand Management. Vol. 22(7), pp. 551–568. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2015.32 [ABS 2*]
- Walters, G. & Anagnostopoulos, C. (2012). Implementing corporate social responsibility through social partnerships. Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol. 21(4), pp. 417-433. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8608.2012.01660.x [ABS 2*]
Selective Conference Presentations
- “Towards an ‘authentic hero’: Revisiting the HERO model in sport organizations” (with Oja, B., Kim, M., & Perrewé, P.). North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), New Orleans, LA (USA), 29 May -1 June 2019.
- “Taking stock of CSR research in professional team sport organizations: Current knowledge and future research directions” (with Walzel, S. & Robertson, J.). North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), Halifax (Canada), 5-9 June 2018.
- “Community sports foundations and Twitter: Communicating social responsibility programs” (with Trendafilova, S.). North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), Denver, Colorado (USA), 30 May -4 June 2017.
- “Teaming-up for social responsibility programs: the case of Belgian nonprofit sport organizations” (with Zeimers, G., Zintz, T., & Willem, A.). North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), Denver, Colorado (USA), 30 May -4 June 2017.
- “Teaching environmental sustainability to digital natives: The 2016 Rio Olympics as a case study” (with Trendafilova, S., Graham, J., Bemiller, J., & Picariello, M.). .). North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), Denver, Colorado (USA), 30 May -4 June 2017.
- “CSR communication through Twitter: the case of community trusts”. V Congreso ALGEDE, Buenos Aires (Argentina), 15-17 March, 2017.
- “The logics of sport and sport management as meta-logic”, (with Gammelsaeter, H.). 24th European Association for Sport Management (EASM), Warsaw (Poland) 9-12 September 2016.
- “Corporate community involvement: influence tactics, reciprocity, and organisational traded currencies”, (with Solenes, O.). 24th European Association for Sport Management (EASM), Warsaw (Poland) 9-12 September 2016.
- “Trustworthiness in professional team sport organizations: the case of charitable foundations”, (with Winand, M.). Sport Management Australia New Zealand (SMAANZ), Hobart, Tasmania (Australia), 25-27 November 2015.
- “A communicating-vessels approach to creating CSR-value”, 23rd European Association for Sport Management (EASM), Dublin (Ireland), 9-12 September 2015.
- “Corporate social responsibility in team sport organisations: Toward a grounded theory of decision-making”, (with Byers, T., & Shilbury, D.). 21st European Association for Sport Management (EASM), Istanbul (Turkey) 11-15 September 2013.
Visiting Lectures & Guest talks
- 2017, 19-21 April: Keynote Speaker (after invitation) at the 10th International Interuniversity Student Scientific and Practical Conference “Contemporary Management and Corporate Social Responsibility” – The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, (Russia).
- 2017, 13 March: Invited lecture at the International Football Business Institute, Brussels (Belgium).
- 2014, 27-28 February: Visit and talks at the Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism Management – North Carolina State University, (USA).
- 2013, 13-15 February: Invited lectures at the Department of Movement and Health Sciences – Ghent University, (Belgium) (International Week in Teaching Sport).
- 2012, 7-9 December: Keynote Speaker (after invitation) at the 13th Pan-Hellenic Conference in Sport Management, Sparta (Greece).
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- 2018-2020 (3 years) – ERASMUS+ €419,000.00 – Good Governance enhancement through e-Learning for Sport Volunteer Board Members (GReFORM) – (successful) – (Role: Research Coordinator)
- 2019-2021 (3 years) – ERASMUS+ €998,000.00 Succession Planning and Regeneration In Family Businesses for New Growth through an innovative training programme (SPRING) (successful) – (Role: Researcher – Project Manager for UCLan Cyprus)
- 2017-2018 (2 years) – ERASMUS+ €488,000.00 National Sports Governance Observer: Benchmarking sports governance across national boundaries (NSGO) (successful) – (Role: Researcher)
- 2011 – EU IRSES €250,000.00 – Examining Sport Management in China, France and the UK (on project team- Coventry University).
- 2008 – PhD Scholarship (£13,000.00 x 3 years) – Salford Business School, University of Salford.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- 2016-2020: George Thoma: ‘Understanding the culture of Gate 9 football fans in Cyprus: A sociological perspective’ UCLan Cyprus. (1st Supervisor)
- 2019-2024: Vassos Koutsioundas: ‘Implementing good governance codes in national sport organisations: what’s the score?’ UCLan Cyprus. (Director of Studies (DoS))
- 2019-2024: Moyses Moyseos: ‘Making sense of failures: what start-ups can be taught by sports?’ UCLan Cyprus. (Director of Studies (DoS))
- 2017-2021: Mr Samuel Lopez: ‘Social Media integration into sport management pedagogy’ University of Valencia. (Fall 2019, visiting UCLan Cyprus)- in progress
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Certified Trainer by the Human Resources Development Authority (HRDA), Cyprus, for the delivery of executive education courses (Sept 2019- Today).
- PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers) HR Training: ‘Business Coaching through Sport’. Nicosia, May & June, 2015.
- Cyprus Sport Organisation: Author of the first ever Code for Good Governance for National Sport Federations in Cyprus. Commissioned work (2017-2018).
- Cyprus Sport Organisation: (co-)Author of the 2018-2024 Strategic Plan of Cyprus Sport Organisation. Commissioned work (2018).
- 1-Day conference on ‘CSR & Sport’: invited speaker with a presentation on “CSR through sport: the case of London FTSE-100”. Hosted and sponsored by CYTA Cyprus, Nicosia, 4 April 2017.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Chair of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the 12th annual conference of the Association for the Study of Sport and the European Union (Molde, 29-30 June 2017, Norway).
- Co-chair of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the 22nd European Sport Management Association conference (Coventry, 9-12 September 2014, UK).
- Best Paper Award at the ‘Managing Sport’ Special Interest Group for the paper “Corporate Social Responsibility through Sport: A longitudinal Study of the FTSE100 Companies”, European Academy of Management Conference, Warsaw (Poland) 17-19 June, 2015.
- New Researcher Award (NRA) winner at 21st European Sport Management Association conference (Istanbul, Turkey – 2013) for the paper entitled “Corporate social responsibility in professional team sport organisations: Toward a grounded theory of decision-making”.
- Runner up best paper award for the ‘Sports as a Business’ Special Interest Group for the paper entitled “Towards a Multi-Paradigm Paradox Perspective of CSR Strategy in English Football”, European Academy of Management Conference, Rotterdam (The Netherlands) 6-8 June, 2012.
- Best Reviewer Award at the European Academy of Management Conference, Rotterdam (The Netherlands) 6-8 June, 2012.