Dr Christos Karpasitis
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN DIGITAL MEDIA AND COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) WEB DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
PhD in Digital Media and Online Advertising (UCLan, 2017)
MSc in E-Business and Information Systems(Newcastle University, 2011)
BSc in Multimedia and Digital Entertainment (Northumbria University, 2010)
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA) (2015)
Digital Media and Online Advertising
Assistant Professor, UCLan Cyprus (2021 – Present)
Lecturer, UCLan Cyprus (2016 – 2021)
Associate Lecturer, UCLan Cyprus (2014 – 2016)
Internet Studies and Communication Teaching Staff, Cyprus University of Technology (2012 – 2016)
E-Marketing Executive & Multimedia Developer, Eyelevel Ltd, Cyprus, (2011 – 2012)
Television Commercials and On-Air Graphics Designer and Producer, (2010)
Cultural preservation through creative practice, Viral videos, content sharing, video advertising, digital marketing, viral marketing, social media and networks, social media user behaviour, digital media design, web design, graphic design, audiovisual design.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
- Course Leader, BSc (Hons) Web Design & Development
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Introduction to Audiovisual Technologies, Video Production, Audio Production, Web Design & UX, Digital Marketing, Enterprise Development & Production, Research Project, Internet Intelligence, Internet Fundamentals, Interactive Applications, Web Content Development, Radio Production, Information Management.
- Aharonson, V., Karpasitis, C., Wenstein, T., Koral, G., (2022), “Netnography of Social Media Addresses on COVID-19”, European Conference on Social Media 2022, Krakow, Poland, June 2022.
- Iordanou, K., Aharonson, V., Christodoulou, V., Karpasitis, C., Joselowitz, J., Lilford, B., De-Vos, M., Muraleedharan, S., (2022), “Collaborative Learning in Youtube: Under which conditions can learning happen or fail to happen?”, 15th International Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) 2022, Hiroshima, Japan, June 2022.
- Lakeridou, R., M., Karpasitis, C., (2021), “Graphic signage through the lens of COVID-19: The superhero in changing social behaviour”, Sentio Journal (South East Network for Social Sciences), V3 . pp. 27-35.
- Karpasitis, C., Polycarpou, I., Kaniadakis, A., Kvasova, O., (2019), “I See, I Hear, I Speak – How Audiovisuals Affect Brand Video Virality”, International Conference on Research in Advertising 2019, Krems, June 2019.
- Karpasitis, C., Polycarpou, I., Kaniadakis, A., (2018), “The Role of Music in Viral Video Advertisements”, European Conference on Social Media 2018, Limerick, June 2018.
- Karpasitis, C., (2015), “The Role of Social Media Users in Brand Video Virality”, European Conference on Social Media 2015, Porto, July 2015.
- Karpasitis, C., Kaniadakis, A., (2015), “Social media as marketing information systems: Co-creation in viral video advertising”, In T. Tsiakis (Ed), Trends and Innovations in Marketing Information Systems, IGI Global.
- Karpasitis, C. and Kaniadakis A, (2015), “Viral video marketing campaigns in a social media ecosystem: the rise of ephemeral online communities”, Social Media & Society 2015 International Conference.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Karpasitis C., (2022), “The impact of speech characteristics on persuasiveness and comprehension of online videos”, The 13th Annual Speech Processing Conference, AFEKA College of Engineering, Tel-Aviv, June 2022,
- Karpasitis C., (2019), “How Visuals Affect Brand Video Virality, European Conference on Social Media 2019, Brighton, June 2019.
- Karpasitis C., Polycarpou, I., Kaniadakis, A., Kvasova, O. (2018), “How .Audiovisuals Affect Brand Video Virality: A Netnographic Approach”, Advances in Theory and Practice of Digital Marketing Workshop, Swansea University Bay Campus, Swansea, July 2018.
- Kaniadakis, A., Karpasitis, C., (2015), “Viral video marketing campaigns in a social media ecosystem: the rise of ephemeral online communities”, Social Media & Society 2015 International Conference, Toronto, July 2015.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- BTheChange – funded by ERASMUS+, Researcher/Task Leader, €400,000.00, 2022 – 2024
- IDEALVis – Intelligent Data Exploration and Adaptive MeaningfuL Visualizations, funded by Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation, Researcher/Task Leader, €194,575, 2019 – 2021
- 2BeConnected – University Liaison Officers for the Labor Market, funded by European Social Fund, Researcher/Task Leader, €99,988, 2018 – 2019
- GReFORM – Good Governance enhancement through e-Learning for Sport Volunteer Board Members, funded by ERASMUS+, Task Leader, €483,659.00, 2018 – 2021
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- R.M.L (PhD): A graphic design framework for out-of-home social cause advertising. (2020 – Ongoing)
- Best Poster with Short Paper Award, European Conference on Social Media (ECSM), 2015
- First Image Award, Research Now Conference, UCLan, 2014
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of the Organising Committee and Social Media Chair at womENcourage 2022 Conference, Larnaca Cyprus
- Advisory Board Member at ILOVEGRAPHIC Festival, Cyprus (2021-Present)
- Conference Chair at the European Conference on Social Media 2021 (ECSM21)
- Conference Chair at the European Conference on Social Media 2020 (ECSM20)
- Member of the Conference Committee of the European Conference on Social Media (ECSM) (2015-Present)