Dr Demetres Christofides
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN MATHEMATICS
PhD in Mathematics (University of Cambridge, 2008)
MA Cantab (University of Cambridge, 2007)
Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics (University of Cambridge, 2004)
BA in Mathematics (University of Cambridge, 2003)
Assistant Professor in Mathematics, UCLan Cyprus (2015 – present)
Lecturer in Mathematics, UCLan Cyprus (2012-2015)
Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Queen Mary, University of London (2011-2012)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Charles University, Prague (2010-2011)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Warwick (2009-2010)
Research Fellow, University of Birmingham (2008-2009)
Guest Lecturer, Umea University (2007-2007)
- Cyprus Mathematical Society
My research area is combinatorics. Most of my research work is concerned with random graphs and with extremal graph theory.
In random graph theory, I have mainly worked on studying properties of random Cayley graphs. In extremal graph theory, I have mainly worked on ﬁnding Hamilton cycles in certain families of graphs.
I have actually a rather broad interest within combinatorics. Apart from what mentioned above, I have also worked in several other areas of combinatorics as well. In particular, I have also worked in positional games, information theory, structural graph theory, randomised algorithms, inﬂuences of Boolean functions, correlation inequalities, other extremal graph theory problems, complexity of matrix multiplication, isoperimetric problems, graph algorithms, and model theory.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader (2012-2016), BSc (Hons) Mathematics
- Modules taught (UCLan Cyprus): From Geometry into Algebra (1st year), Introductory Statistics (1st year), Functions, Vectors and Calculus (1styear), Introduction to Real Analysis (2nd year), Introduction to Algebra and Linear Algebra (2nd year), Fundamentals of Business Mathematics (2ndyear in Accounting), Algebraic Structures (3rd year), Further Real Analysis (3rd year), Vector Calculus (3rd year), Complex Analysis (4th year)
- Modules taught (Charles University): New Trends in Graph Theory (Graduate)
- Modules taught (Warwick): Discrete Mathematics and its applications (1st year)
- Modules taught (Birmingham): Communication Theory (Joint 3rd year and Master’s)
- Modules taught (Cambridge): Sets and Numbers (3-lecture introductory course for beginning undergraduates of Girton, Gonville and Caius, Newnham, and Pembroke colleges), Undergraduate supervisor in the following courses: Algebra and Geometry, Galois Theory, Graph Theory and Probability.
- Senate Member (2015 – Present)
- Deputy Head of School of Sciences (2017 – Present)
- School Lead of Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (2017 – Present)
- Member of Research and Innovation Committee (Previously)
- Member of Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (Previously)
- R. Baber, D. Christoﬁdes, A. N. Dang, S. Riis and E. R. Vaughan, Graph Guessing Games and non-Shannon Information Inequalities, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 63 (2017), 4257–4267.
- D. Christoﬁdes, and D. Král’, First order convergence and roots, Combin. Probab. Comput., 25 (2016), 213–221.
- D. Christoﬁdes, J. Hladky and A. Máthé, Hamilton cycles in dense vertex-transitive graphs, J. Combin. Theory Ser. B., 109 (2014), 34–72.
- D. Christoﬁdes and K. Markström, The range of thresholds for diameter 2 in random Cayley graphs, European Journal Combinatorics, 35 (2014) 141–154.
- D. Christoﬁdes, D. Ellis and P. Keevash, An approximate isoperimetric inequality for r-sets, Electron. J. Combin., 20 (2013), Research Paper 12, pp.
- D. Christoﬁdes, D. Kühn and D. Osthus, Edge-disjoint Hamilton cycles in graphs, J. Combin. Theory Ser. B., 102 (2012), 135–160.
- D. Christoﬁdes and K. Markström, Random Latin square graphs, Random Structures Algorithms, 41 (2012), 47–65.
- D. Christoﬁdes, P. Keevash, D. Kühn and D. Osthus, Finding Hamilton cycles in robustly expanding digraphs, J. Graph Algorithms Appl., 16(2012), 335–358.
- D. Christoﬁdes, P. Keevash, D. Kühn and D. Osthus, A semiexact degree condition for Hamilton cycles in digraphs, SIAM J. Discrete Math, 24(2010), 709–756.
- D. Christoﬁdes, Induced lines in Hales-Jewett cubes, J. Combin. Theory Ser. A, 114 (2007), 906–918.
Selected Research Funding/ Grant Capture
During my postdoctoral studies I have been involved in the following research projects:
- EPSRC grant no. EP/G056730/1 entitled ‘Extremal combinatorics’.
- (FP7/2007-2013)/ERC grant agreement no. 259385 entitled ‘Classes of Combinatorial Objects – from Structure to Algorithms’.
- EPSRC grant no. EP/D063191/1 entitled ‘The Centre for Discrete Mathematics and its Applications (DIMAP)’.
- EPSRC grant no. EP/E02162X/1 entitled ‘Graph expansion and applications’.
- Smith Prize, University of Cambridge
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Managing member (2016-18) of and regular contributor to www.mathematica.gr, a Greek forum for the discussion of mathematical issues and exercises in all levels of mathematics education.
- Member of the Cyprus Mathematical Society board. (October 2017 – Present)
- Trainer of the Cypriot Mathematical Olympiad team (Since 2014)