DR GABRIEL PANIS
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN COMPUTING
PhD in Electronic Engineering (Queen Mary, University of London, 2006)
BSc Electrical Engineering (University of California, Davis, 2000)
Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science
Associate Lecturer in Computing, UCLan Cyprus (2014 – Present)
Telecommunications Engineer, Cyta (2005 – Present)
Researcher, Siemens AG (2001 – 2005)
Internet of Things, Multimedia Communication, Image and Video Processing, Forensics
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Investigating Hardware and Operating Systems, Digital Evidence and Incident Response, Digital Forensic Investigation, Cyber Warfare, IT Project Management, Digital Electronics
- Michael, G., Tsaparellas, K., Panis, G., Loizou, C.P. and Lanitis, A., 2016. Towards Non-invasive Patient Monitoring Through Iris Tracking and Pain Detection. In XIV Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing 2016 (pp. 361-366). Springer International Publishing.
- Panis, G., Lanitis, A., Tsapatsoulis, N. and Cootes, T.F., 2016. Overview of research on facial ageing using the FG-NET ageing database. IET Biometrics, 5(2), pp.37-46.
- Panis, G. and Lanitis, A., 2014, September. An overview of research activities in facial age estimation using the FG-NET aging database. InEuropean Conference on Computer Vision (pp. 737-750). Springer International Publishing.
- Heuer, J., Hutter, A., Panis, G. and Timmerer, C., Siemens Aktiengesellschaft, 2010. Method for generating and/or processing a data stream description. U.S. Patent 7,769,879.
- Hutter, A., Amon, P., Panis, G., Delfosse, E., Ransburg, M. and Hellwagner, H., 2005, September. Automatic adaptation of streaming multimedia content in a dynamic and distributed environment. In IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2005 (Vol. 3, pp. III-716). IEEE.
- Panis, G., Hutter, A., Heuer, J., Hellwagner, H., Kosch, H., Timmerer, C., Devillers, S. and Amielh, M., 2003. Bitstream syntax description: a tool for multimedia resource adaptation within MPEG-21. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 18(8), pp.721-747.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- A New Concept in Cyber Security that Provides Computer Systems Protection through the Interaction Between Computers and Users. (MSc in Cybersecurity)
- Designing a Uniform Approach: A Security Framework for Cloud Computing. (MSc in Cybersecurity)
- A Comparison of the APFS File System and the HFS+ File System and the Digital Forensic Challenges. (MSc in Cybersecurity)
- Investigate the process and analyse the impact of VPN, firewall and IDS on a Wide Area Network Performance using Riverbed (MSc in Cybersecurity)
- Security in IoT based Smart-homes Infrastructure (MSc in Cybersecurity)
- Digital Forensic Investigation within the Scope of Incident Response: Training Material for Corporate Staff on Data Recovery from Storage Devices. (MSc in Cybersecurity)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Participated in MPEG standardization from 2002 – 2005