Dr Josephina Antoniou
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN COMPUTING AND COURSE LEADER OF MSC COMPUTING
PhD Degree in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2010)
MSc in Advanced Computer Technologies (University of Cyprus, 2004)
BA in Computer Science & Mathematics (Wartburg, IA, USA, 2002)
PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education (UCLAN, 2015)
LPI (Linux Professional Institute) Essentials Instructor Certificate (2015)
Cisco CCNA1 (Routing & Switching) Instructor Certificate (2012)
Assistant Professor in Computing, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (2016 – currently)
Lecturer in Computing, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (2012 – 2016)
Post-Doc Research Associate, Department of Multimedia and Graphic Arts, Cyprus University of Technology (2011 – 2012)
Part-Time Educational Personnel, Open University of Cyprus (2011)
Visiting Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2010 – 2011)
Special Scientist, Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Cyprus University of Technology (2009-2010)
Research Associate, Networks Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2002 – 2010)
- Professional Member of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and ACM-W (ACM Women)
- Professional Member of the IEEE (Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- Member of the Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber (ΕΤΕΚ) Field of Engineers in Computer Science
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Decision-Making for Problem Solving using Game Theory, Baeysian Principles and Cooperative Strategies, for emerging technologies such as 5G, Internet of Things (IoT) and VANETs.
Quality of Experience (QoE) for mobile users using using modelling, development and simulation approaches. Specifically, research towards quantification of user experience with the use of technological structures such as Cloud Computing, and context awareness in automated/adaptable environments.
Manipulation of automated/adaptable environments is also linked to science in education, i.e. development of new platforms to make science education more attractive, and consideration of responsible research and innovation in ICT, especially the ethics of emerging technologies.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MSc Computing
- Currently Module Leader for: Computer Systems and Security, Cloud Computing, ERP Systems, Introduction to Network Routing, Advanced Topics in User Experience, Network Operations and Management, Masters Project
- Past Modules: Introduction to Networking, Advanced Routing, Network Management, Network Communications, Digital Security, Games Concepts, Network Design, Practitioner’s Skills, Introduction to Mathematics & Statistics, Fundamentals of Business Mathematics, Computational Mathematics, Mathematics for Computing.
- Member of Ethics Subcommittee
- Member of ASQAC (Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee)
- Member of Provident Fund Committee
- IAESTE Coordinator for UCLan Cyprus
- Member of RIC (Research Lead for the School of Sciences 2016-2018)
- Liaison with Linux Professional Institute for alignment of university modules to professional certificates
- Co-Founder & Academic Instructor of Cisco Networking Academy at UClan Cyprus (2013-2017)
- Liaison with Cisco Academy for alignment of university modules to professional certificates
- J. Antoniou (2020). Game Theory, The Internet of Things and 5G Networks: utilising game theoretic models to characterise challenging scenarios, EAI/Springer Innovations in Communications and Computing, Springer Nature, ISBN 978-3-030-16844-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16844-5_2
- M. Shahzad, J. Antoniou (2019). “Quality of User Experience in 5G-VANET”, Proceedings of IEEE 24th International Workshop on Computer Aided Modeling and Design of Communication Links and Networks (CAMAD), September 2019, pp. 1-6.
- M. Ryan, J. Antoniou, L. Brooks, T. Jiya, K. Macnish, and B. Stahl (2019). “Technofixing the Future: Ethical Side Effects of Using AI and Big Data to meet the SDGs”. In proceedings of: 2019 IEEE Smart World Congress, 19-23 August 2019
- J. Antoniou (2019). “What responsible businesses can learn from social innovation”, in ed. vol.: Responsible Research and Innovation: Business Opportunities and Strategies for Implementation, Springer Briefs by Springer Nature.
- J. Antoniou, and, A. Andreou (2019). Case Study: The Internet of Things and Ethics. ORBIT Journal, 2(2). https://doi.org/10.29297/orbit.v2i2.111
- N. Paspallis, I. Polycarpou, P. Andreou, J. Antoniou, P. Kaimakis, M. Raspopoulos, M. Terzi (2018). “An Experience Report on the Effectiveness of Five Themed Workshops at Inspiring High School Students to Learn Coding”, in Proceedings of 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education; ACM.
- J. Antoniou, E. Allayiotis, (2017). ‘MWQoE: A user-centered context-aware model for evaluating the Mobile Web Quality of Experience’, in Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (8 pages – page numbers pending).
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, A. Pitsillides (2015), ‘Cooperative Games among Densely Deployed WLAN Access Points’, Springer Series in Reliability Engineering: Game Theoretic Analysis of Congestion, Safety and Security: Networks, Air Traffic and Emergency Departments, pp/ 27 -53.
- E. Allayiotis, J. Antoniou, (2014). ‘Technical Considerations towards mobile user QoE enhancement via Cloud interaction’, in Proceedings of the 10th International Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing Conference, pp. 936 – 941.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, and, A. Pitsillides, H. R. Dehkordi, (2014). ‘Cooperation among Access Points for Enhanced Quality of Service in Dense Wireless Environments’, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 1 – 6.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, A. Pitsillides, (2013). ‘A Graphical Game for Cooperative Neighbourhoods of Selfishly Oriented Entities’, in: Hanappi, H. (ed), Game Theory Relaunched, ISBN: 978-953-51-1078-1, In-Tech Publishing, pp. 251 – 268.
- J. Antoniou, C. Christophorou, J. Simoes, A. Pitsillides, (2012) ‘Adaptive Network-Aided Session Support in Context-Aware Converged Mobile Networks’, International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, vol. 5, no. 3.
- J. Antoniou, A. Pitsillides, (2012), “Game Theory in Communication Networks: Cooperative Resolution of Interactive Networking Scenarios, CRC Press, August 2012 (156 pages)”. ISBN-10: 1439848084, ISBN-13: 978-1439848081
- J. Antoniou, F. C. Pinto, J. Simoes, A. Pitsillides, (2010) “Supporting Context-Aware Multiparty Sessions in Heterogeneous Mobile Networks”, Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 831-844.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, V. Vassiliou, A. Pitsillides, (2010). Cooperative user-network interactions in next generation communication networks. Computer networks, vol. 54, no. 13., pp. 2239-2255.
- J. Antoniou, I. Koukoutsidis, E. Jaho, A. Pitsillides, I. Stavrakakis, (2009). Access network synthesis game in Next Generation networks. Computer Networks, vol. 53, no. 15, pp. 2716-2726.
Selected Workshop and Seminar Presentations
- A – Z Python Programming Workshop (main instructor), organized by the Digital Systems and Computer Architecture Lab (University of Western Macedonia/Faculty of Engineering) in collaboration with the IEEE UoW Student Branch (2016) – workshop video is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbhggKyTMY (in Greek)
- Introduction to Programming workshop (Python/Scratch) CODE Cyprus, UCLan Cyprus (2014-2016)
Selected Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- UCLan UK Internal Call for Proposals: Centre of Energy, Sustainable Development and Resilience (research team member), 50,000 (2019-2020).
- Erasmus Plus EAC/A03/2018 :EPP-CBHE-JP: IREEDER-Introducing Recent Electrical Engineering Developments into undErgraduate cuRriculum-(research team member), €768,627 (2019-2022)
- RPF Restart -BILATERAL/FRANCE/1116/0007: RRI-MobDev (research team member), €10,000 (2019-2020).
- H2020-SwafS-2017-1: SHERPA: Shaping the ethical dimensions of smart information systems (Work-Package Leader), €2,865,000 (2018-2022)
- Erasmus Plus/Sports GReFORM (task leader), €420,000 (2018 – 2021)
- H2020/GARRI-2015-1 COMPASS (task leader/local primary investigator), €1,500,000 (2016-2019)
- H2020/WIDESPREAD-04-2017-Teaming Phase 1 CSRC: Center for STEAM Education Research, Science Communication and Innovation (researcher/participant), €400,000 (2017-2018)
- FP7/Science-In-Society-2013-1 RESPONSIBLE INDUSTRY (researcher/participant), €1,500,000 (2013 – 2017)
- Github Enterprises/Student Research Grant MOBIILE WEB QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE PhD supervisor (director of studies), €1,000 (2015)
- Anita Borg Institute/Grace Hopper Celebration Faculty Grant (researcher/mentor), €1,000 (2015)
- ACM/ACM-W Networking Grant (task coordinator), €1000 (2015 & 2016)
- Amazon Web Services/Education Grant MOBIILE WEB QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE PhD supervisor (director of studies), €2,000 (2014 & 2016)
* Older projects
- FP7/PEOPLE – Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant, Rapid Scanning and Automatic 3D Reconstruction of Underwater Sites (Participant), €100,000 (2011-2012)
- FP7/ICT – C-CAST: Context Casting/Context-Aware Content Casting (Participant), €3,500,000 (2008-2010)
Supervision of Research Projects/PhDs
- Madiha Shahzad (Post-Doc): Quality of Experience in 5G-VANETs (2018-2020)
- Elias Allayiotis (PhD): Director of Studies for PhD project: Characterization of Mobile Web Quality of Experience using a non-intrusive, context-aware, mobile-to-cloud system approach (2013-2017)
- Leading Supervisor for a number of BSc Double Projects and Masters Projects at UCLan Cyprus (2013- ongoing)
- Leading Supervisor of 2 MSc Master’s Thesis projects, Open University of Cyprus (2011-2012)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- UCLan Cyprus Internal Training Instructor for Advanced Excel usage (2016)
- Python Programming Trainings for children and adults (2013-2017)
- Networking Award from ACM-W as the Chair of the ACM-W Cyprus Chapter, (2015 & 2016)
- Faculty Scholarship for Grace Hopper Celebration 2015 (by Anita Borg Institute) (2015)
- Education Award from “Amazon Web Services”, for PhD project supervised (2014 & 2016)
- “ΕΚΠΕ Who ’ s Who of Greek Engineers 2006/2007”, Inclusion in 1st Edition (2008)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of InSPIRE Center
- Chair of ACM-W Cyprus chapter (2014-2017)Publications Chair for ISCC 2015: “IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Larnaca, Cyprus (2015)
- Invited Reviewer for several scientific Journals and Conference Proceedings publications including Computer Networks, Communications Magazine, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, International Conference on Wireless Information Networks and Systems, Globecom, and The Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications, etc.
- Invited Speaker:EUC seminar series: ‘Colloquium on CSE’ (2013 & 2016)
- Series of Talks organized by the Philosophy Group at University of Cyprus on Ethics of Technology (2013)
- EPL671: Research Methods in Computer Science Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2011)
- Series of Scientific Speeches in Information Systems, Department of Information and Communication Systems, Open University of Cyprus (2010)
- Cyprus Collegiate Programming Contest Director for ACM (2017)
- 1st & 2nd Cyprus Penetration Testing Competition (Pen-Test 1.0, Pen-Test 2.0), Organizing Chair
- Invitation to join the “Editorial Board of International Journal for Wearable Device” (2016)
- Invitation to serve as an “Expert Researcher and Evaluator” for the National Research Agency of France (2016)
- Invitation to participate in the video series “3+ min Cyprus”, a project hosted by the Future Worlds Centre, which aims to present Cyprus-based researchers and innovators (2016)