Dr Josephina Antoniou
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN COMPUTING AND COURSE LEADER OF MSC COMPUTING
PhD Degree in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2010)
MSc in Advanced Computer Technologies (University of Cyprus, 2004)
BA in Computer Science & Mathematics (Wartburg, IA, USA, 2002)
PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education (UCLAN, 2015)
PECB Data Protection Officer Certificate (2018)
LPI (Linux Professional Institute) Essentials Instructor Certificate (2015)
Cisco CCNA1 (Routing & Switching) Instructor Certificate (2012)
Networks and Communications, Quality of Experience
Assistant Professor in Computing, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (2016 – Present)
Lecturer in Computing, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (2012 – 2016)
Post-Doc Research Associate, Department of Multimedia and Graphic Arts, Cyprus University of Technology (2011 – 2012)
Part-Time Educational Personnel, Open University of Cyprus (2011)
Visiting Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2010 – 2011)
Special Scientist, Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Cyprus University of Technology (2009 – 2010)
Research Associate, Networks Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2002 – 2010)
- Professional Member of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and ACM-W (ACM Women)
- Professional Member of the IEEE (Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- Member of the Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber (ΕΤΕΚ) Field of Engineers in Computer Science
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Decision-Making for Problem Solving using Game Theory, Baeysian Principles and Cooperative Strategies, for emerging technologies such as 5G, Internet of Things (IoT) and VANETs.
Quality of Experience (QoE) for mobile users using modelling, development and simulation approaches. Specifically, research towards quantification of user experience with the use of technological structures such as Cloud Computing, and context awareness in automated/adaptable environments.
Manipulation of automated/adaptable environments is also linked to science in education, i.e. development of new platforms to make science education more attractive, and consideration of responsible research and innovation in ICT, especially the ethics of emerging technologies.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MSc Computing
- Currently Leadership/Delivery: Cloud Computing, ERP Systems, Introduction to Network Routing, Advanced Topics in User Experience, User Experience Design, Critical Analysis, Masters Project
- Past Modules: Introduction to Networking, Advanced Routing, Network Management, Network Communications, Digital Security, Computer Systems and Security, Games Concepts, Network Design, Practitioner’s Skills, Introduction to Mathematics & Statistics, Fundamentals of Business Mathematics, Computational Mathematics, Mathematics for Computing
- Member of the University Ethics Subcommittee (2019 – Present)
- School of Sciences Lead, ASQAC (Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee) (2020 – Present)
- Member, School ASQAC (2020 – Present)
- Member of Provident Fund Committee (2013 – Present)
- IAESTE Coordinator for UCLan Cyprus (2013 – Present)
- School of Sciences Lead, RIC (Research and Innovation Committee) (2016 – 2018)
- Liaison with Linux Professional Institute for alignment of university modules to professional certificates (2013 – Present)
- Co-Founder & Academic Instructor of Cisco Networking Academy at UClan Cyprus (2013 – 2017)
- Liaison with Cisco Academy for alignment of university modules to professional certificates (2013 – Present)
- Liaison with AWS Academy for alignment of university modules to Cloud Computing related certificates (2020 – Present)
- J. Antoniou (2021). Quality of Experience and Learning in Information Systems: incorporating learning and ethics into characterisations of Quality of Experience, EAI/Springer Innovations in Communications and Computing, Springer Nature, ISBN 978-3-030-52559-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-52559-0
- M. Ryan, J. Antoniou, L. Brooks, T. Jiya, K. Macnish, and, B. Stahl (2020). “The Ethical Balance of Using Smart Information Systems for Promoting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals”. Sustainability 2020, 12(12), 4826; pp. 1 – 22.
- J. Antoniou (2020). Game Theory, The Internet of Things and 5G Networks: utilising game theoretic models to characterise challenging scenarios, EAI/Springer Innovations in Communications and Computing, Springer Nature, ISBN 978-3-030-16844-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16844-5_2
- M. Shahzad, J. Antoniou (2019). “Quality of User Experience in 5G-VANET”, Proceedings of IEEE 24th International Workshop on Computer Aided Modeling and Design of Communication Links and Networks (CAMAD), September 2019, pp. 1-6.
- M. Ryan, J. Antoniou, L. Brooks, T. Jiya, K. Macnish, and B. Stahl (2019). “Technofixing the Future: Ethical Side Effects of Using AI and Big Data to meet the SDGs”. In proceedings of: 2019 IEEE Smart World Congress, 19-23 August 2019
- J. Antoniou (2019). “What responsible businesses can learn from social innovation”, in ed. vol.: Responsible Research and Innovation: Business Opportunities and Strategies for Implementation, Springer Briefs by Springer Nature.
- J. Antoniou, and, A. Andreou (2019). Case Study: The Internet of Things and Ethics. ORBIT Journal, 2(2). https://doi.org/10.29297/orbit.v2i2.111
- N. Paspallis, I. Polycarpou, P. Andreou, J. Antoniou, P. Kaimakis, M. Raspopoulos, M. Terzi (2018). “An Experience Report on the Effectiveness of Five Themed Workshops at Inspiring High School Students to Learn Coding”, in Proceedings of 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education; ACM.
- J. Antoniou, E. Allayiotis, (2017). ‘MWQoE: A user-centered context-aware model for evaluating the Mobile Web Quality of Experience’, in Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (8 pages – page numbers pending).
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, A. Pitsillides (2015), ‘Cooperative Games among Densely Deployed WLAN Access Points’, Springer Series in Reliability Engineering: Game Theoretic Analysis of Congestion, Safety and Security: Networks, Air Traffic and Emergency Departments, pp/ 27 -53.
- E. Allayiotis, J. Antoniou, (2014). ‘Technical Considerations towards mobile user QoE enhancement via Cloud interaction’, in Proceedings of the 10th International Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing Conference, pp. 936 – 941.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, and, A. Pitsillides, H. R. Dehkordi, (2014). ‘Cooperation among Access Points for Enhanced Quality of Service in Dense Wireless Environments’, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 1 – 6.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, L. Libman, A. Pitsillides, (2013). ‘A Graphical Game for Cooperative Neighbourhoods of Selfishly Oriented Entities’, in: Hanappi, H. (ed), Game Theory Relaunched, ISBN: 978-953-51-1078-1, In-Tech Publishing, pp. 251 – 268.
- J. Antoniou, C. Christophorou, J. Simoes, A. Pitsillides, (2012) ‘Adaptive Network-Aided Session Support in Context-Aware Converged Mobile Networks’, International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, vol. 5, no. 3.
- J. Antoniou, A. Pitsillides, (2012), “Game Theory in Communication Networks: Cooperative Resolution of Interactive Networking Scenarios, CRC Press, August 2012 (156 pages)”. ISBN-10: 1439848084, ISBN-13: 978-1439848081
- J. Antoniou, F. C. Pinto, J. Simoes, A. Pitsillides, (2010) “Supporting Context-Aware Multiparty Sessions in Heterogeneous Mobile Networks”, Mobile Networks and Applications, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 831-844.
- J. Antoniou, V. Papadopoulou, V. Vassiliou, A. Pitsillides, (2010). Cooperative user-network interactions in next generation communication networks. Computer networks, vol. 54, no. 13., pp. 2239-2255.
- J. Antoniou, I. Koukoutsidis, E. Jaho, A. Pitsillides, I. Stavrakakis, (2009). Access network synthesis game in Next Generation networks. Computer Networks, vol. 53, no. 15, pp. 2716-2726.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Introduction to Programming workshop (Python/Scratch) CODE Cyprus, UCLan Cyprus (2014-2020)
- A – Z Python Programming Workshop (main instructor), organized by the Digital Systems and Computer Architecture Lab (University of Western Macedonia/Faculty of Engineering) in collaboration with the IEEE UoW Student Branch (2016) – workshop video is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbhggKyTMY (in Greek)
Selective Research Funding / Grant Capture
- Erasmus Plus/KA2 Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices, €296,360.00 (2020-2023): MentorME – PROMOTING SOCIAL INCLUSION OF PEOPLE WITH FEWER OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH THE DEVELOPMENT OF MENTORSHIP PROGRAMME FOR HES STUDENTS (Task Leader /Researcher)
- Centre for Sustainable Transitions Seedcorn Funding (UCLan UK), 5,000 GBP (2019-2020): Responsible Smart Environments (Project PI)
- H2020-INFRADEV-2019-3 SLICES-DS, €2,914,175.00 (2020-2022): Scientific Large-scale Infrastructure for Computing/Communication Experimental Studies-Design Study (Team Member/Researcher)
- UCLan UK Internal Call for Proposals: Centre of Energy, Sustainable Development and Resilience (Research Team Member), 50,000 GBP (2019-2020).
- Erasmus Plus EAC/A03/2018: EPP-CBHE-JP: IREEDER-Introducing Recent Electrical Engineering Developments into undErgraduate cuRriculum-(Research Team Member), €768,627 (2019-2022)
- RPF Restart -BILATERAL/FRANCE/1116/0007: RRI-MobDev (Research Team Member), €10,000 (2019-2020).
- H2020-SwafS-2017-1: SHERPA: Shaping the ethical dimensions of smart information systems (Work-Package Leader/Task Leader), €2,865,000 (2018-2022)
- Erasmus Plus/Sports GReFORM: Good Governance Enhancement through e-Learning for Sport Volunteer Board Members (Task Leader), €420,000 (2018 – 2021)
- H2020/WIDESPREAD-04-2017-Teaming Phase 1 CSRC: Center for STEAM Education Research, Science Communication and Innovation (Researcher/Participant), €400,000 (2017-2018)
- H2020/GARRI-2015-1 COMPASS: Evidence and Opportunities for Responsible Innovation in SMEs (Work-package Leader/Task Leader), €1,500,000 (2016-2019)
- FP7/Science-In-Society-2013-1 RESPONSIBLE INDUSTRY: Responsible Research and Innovation in Business and Industry in the domain of ICT for Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing (Researcher/Team Member), €1,500,000 (2013 – 2017)
- Amazon Web Services Research/Education Grants/Cloud Credits for Research: BetterX: A user-centered context-aware model for evaluating the mobile Web Quality of Experience (Academic PI), €2,000 (2013 – 2016)
- Github Enterprises/Student Research Grant MOBIILE WEB QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE PhD supervisor (Academic PI), €1,000 (2015)
- Anita Borg Institute/Grace Hopper Celebration Faculty Grant (Researcher/Mentor), €1,000 (2015)
- ACM/ACM-W Networking Grant (Task Coordinator), €1000 (2015 & 2016)
- FP7/PEOPLE – Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant, Rapid Scanning and Automatic 3D Reconstruction of Underwater Sites (Participant), €100,000 (2011-2012)
- FP7/ICT – C-CAST: Context Casting/Context-Aware Content Casting (Participant), €3,500,000 (2008-2010)
Supervision of Research Projects/PhDs
- M. S. (Post-Doc): Quality of Experience in 5G-VANETs (2018 – 2020)
- E. A. (PhD): Director of Studies for PhD project: Characterization of Mobile Web Quality of Experience using a non-intrusive, context-aware, mobile-to-cloud system approach (2013 – 2017)
- Leading Supervisor for a number of BSc Double Projects and Masters Projects at UCLan Cyprus (2013 – Ongoing)
- Leading Supervisor of 2 MSc Master’s Thesis projects, Open University of Cyprus (2011 – 2012)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Vice-President of Bioethics Committee for Assessment of Bioethical Research for the Cyprus National Bioethics Committee (2020)
- Member of Committee for the “Minerva Informatics Equality Award”, sponsored by Google, for Informatics Europe, an organisation representing the majority of the academic and research informatics community in Europe (2019)
- Member of Bioethics Committee for Assessment of Bioethical Research, for the Cyprus National Bioethics Committee (2018 – 2021)
- Member of the external Experts Committee of the department for Contribution to the National Artificial Intelligence Strategy – Ministry of Transport, Communication and Works (Department of Electronic Communications), (2018 – 2019)
- Keynote Speaker and expert contributor to future policy on issues related to gender and diversity in computing in Cyprus for the Ministry of Transport, Communication and Works (Department of Electronic Communications), (2018)
- Invited as a member of a team of consultants on ICT in Horizon 2020, for the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation to contribute to the national report, submitted by RPF, with comments on the specific action “ICT in Horizon 2020” (2016-2017)
- UCLan Cyprus Internal Training Instructor for Advanced Excel usage (2016)
- Python Programming Trainings for children and adults (2013 – 2017)
- Nominee for the ACM Europe Council (2019)
- She-Experts Profile featured on She-Experts platform managed by the Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies (2018)
- Featured in “People of ACM European Chapters” by ACM (2017)
- Featured in “3 min Cyprus” by the Future Worlds Centre (2016)
- Networking Award from ACM-W as the Chair of the ACM-W Cyprus Chapter, (2015 & 2016)
- Faculty Scholarship for Grace Hopper Celebration 2015 (by Anita Borg Institute) (2015)
- “ΕΚΠΕ Who’s Who of Greek Engineers 2006/2007”, Inclusion in 1st Edition (2008)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of ACM Council for European Chapter Leaders (2020)
- Elected Chair of ACM-W (ACM Women) Cyprus Chapter (2014 -Present)
- IAESTE National Committee member (executive committee member in 2018) for IAESTE Cyprus (2013 -Present)
- Invited evaluator for annual National Gaming Competition “Logipaignion” (2020)
- Invited evaluator for the remote assessment process selection (INPhINIT), laCaixa Foundation Fellowship Programme. (2020)
- Keynote Speaker for Women in the Digital Era. Title: Technology in Education: Encouraging Diversity – Location: Ministry of Economics, Nicosia, Cyprus (2018)
- Chair of Cyprus Collegiate Programming Competition (national ICPC competition even for Cyprus universities), (2017 – 2019)
- Invitation to serve as an “Expert Researcher and Evaluator” for the National Research Agency of France (2016)
- Committee of Cyprus Penetration Testing Competition (Pen-Test 1.0, Pen-Test 2.0), Chair (2015), Co-chair (2016 – 2019)
- Invited Speaker and Group Leader for the European Youth Parliament National Session: participation in the experts panel (2015, 2016, 2018)
- Member of InSPIRE Center (2015 – Present)
- Publications Chair for ISCC 2015: “IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Larnaca, Cyprus (2015)
- Invited Reviewer for several scientific Journals and Conference Proceedings publications including Computer Networks, Communications Magazine, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, International Conference on Wireless Information Networks and Systems, Globecom, and The Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications, etc.
- Invited Speaker: EUC seminar series: ‘Colloquium on CSE’ (2013 & 2016)
- Series of Talks organized by the Philosophy Group at University of Cyprus on Ethics of Technology (2013)
- Series of Scientific Speeches in Information Systems, Department of Information and Communication Systems, Open University of Cyprus (2010)
- Invited Speaker for Computer Science Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus; Title: Cooperative Interactions in Heterogeneous Networks (2011)