Dr Andri Kanikli
LECTURER IN LINGUISTICS AND COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) ENGLISH LANGUAGE STUDIES
PhD in Linguistics (University of York, 2011)
BA (Hons) in Philology (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2007)
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
Theoretical Linguistics, Generative Grammar
Lecturer, UCLan Cyprus (2012-present)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the CyLing (Cyprus Linguistics Society)
- Member of the A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholars Association
Theoretical Syntax, Syntax interfaces to Phonology and Semantics, Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition, Language Delay, Multilingualism.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BA (Hons) English Language Studies
- Modules taught: Studies in Language and Linguistics, Introduction to English Syntax and Phonology, English Structure, Academic Writing, Elementary Syntax, English Language and Linguistics Dissertation, Language Analysis (MA TESOL), Second Language Acquisition (MA TESOL), MA TESOL Dissertation.
- Member of the Research and Innovation Committee
- Member of the Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (ASQAC)
- Kanikli, A. and Tsoulas, G. (2019). ‘Embu’ Wh- questions in Cypriot Greek: A comparative study. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics 4(1): 95. 1–24. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5334/gjgl.788 (Impact factor: 1.318).
- Kanikli, A. (2016). “The distribution of quantifiers in clefts.” Lingua, Vol. 171, pp. 24-36. (4*, UCLan UK 2016 Annual Research Assessment, 5-Year Impact Factor: 0.969, CiteScore: 0.89)
- Grohmann K., Theodorou E. & Kanikli, A. (2013). Comprehension and Production Issues in the Acquisition of Relative Clauses in Cypriot Greek. In Advances in Language Acquisition, eds. S. Stavrakaki, P. Konstantinopoulou & M. Lalioti, 90-99, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Kanikli, A. (2011). “Sluicing and asymmetries in the Cypriot-Greek wh-question formation”. Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, held on April 3-5, 2009 in Thessaloniki.
- Kanikli, A. (2011). “Wh-variants in Cypriot Greek”. Proceedings of the 19th GeSuS Conference, held on March 2-4, 2010 in Freiburg.
Research project outputs/booklets
- Barth, I., De Smedt, H., Deutman, C., Kanikli, A., Martowicz, A. & Van Mil, M. (2021). More than one language? A reflection booklet for parents. Output of the Erasmus+ project Planting Languages 2019-1-BE02-KA204-060211.
- Barth, I., De Smedt, H., Deutman, C., Kanikli, A., Martowicz, A. & Van Mil, M. (2021). More than one language? Manual for professionals working with the Reflection Booklet for parents. Output of the Erasmus+ project Planting Languages 2019-1-BE02-KA204-060211.
- Kanikli, A. and Spanoudis, G. (2021). The Screening Scale of Language Development Stimulus Book: a Greek screening tool for use in pre-primary care settings.
- Kanikli, A. and Spanoudis, G. (2021). The Screening Scale of Language Development Manual for professionals.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- “Factors affecting multilingual parents’ initial language choices”, paper presented at the Planting Languages online conference organized by the Foyer Institution. 25th of January 2021.
- “How to support your child in multilingual acquisition.” Online seminar co-organised with the Youth Board of Cyprus. 5th of December 2020.
- “Multilingual parents’ booklet: a reflection tool that helps multilingual families design their family language policy.” Seminar co-organised with the Youth Board of Cyprus. September 28, 2020. Limassol Youth Centre.
- “Helping multilingual parents develop their own family specific language strategy.” Online workshop. August 11, 2020.
- “Internal and External factors influencing language choice in multilingual families.” Presentation at the Foyer Institution. January 14, 2020, Brussels.
- “The syntax of embu wh-questions in Cypriot Greek: Similarities to est-ce que in French and é que in Portuguese.” Presentation at the Recent Issues in the Syntax of Questions (RISQ) workshop, October 8-10, 2018, Konstanz. The RISQ workshop was funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Research Group FOR-2111 ‘Questions at the interfaces’.
- “Explaining language.” Invited Talk. A.G. Leventis Foundation, March 2017
- “Accounting for Ellipsis in Cypriot Greek” with George Tsoulas, (accepted), 7th International Conference on Modern Greek Dialects and Linguistic Theory, October 2016.
- “Diagnosing Specific Language Impairment.” Invited Talk. The Cyprus Linguistics Society and Kypropaideia Foundation lecture series, November 2015.
- “Comprehension and Production Issues in the Acquisition of Relative Clauses in Cypriot Greek”, co-authors: Grohmann, K., Theodorou, E. and Kanikli, A., paper presented at the Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition Conference, held on September 6-8, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Early acquisition of Cypriot-Greek clitics: evidence from clitic misplacement”, paper accepted for presentation at the Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition Conference, held on September 6-8, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Sluicing and VP-ellipsis: evidence for a phase–by–phase derivation”, paper presented at the 20th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, held on April 1-3, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Wh-variants in Cypriot-Greek”, paper presented at the 55th Annual Conference of the International Linguistic Association, held on April 15-17, 2010 in New York.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Erasmus+ project 2019-1-BE02-KA204-060211. “Planting Languages-Seeds of success.” UCLan Cyprus (PO) Lead. Total amount: €214 480. 2019-2022.
- “Documenting and reviving the Cypriot Maronite Arabic language”, research project funded by the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture. Leader of the syntactic analysis, Phases 6-8. Total amount for Phases 6-8: €67 800. Project Coordinator: Assoc. Prof. Marilena Karyolemou, UCY. 2018-2021.
- “Developing and validating a language screening tool for use in pre-primary care settings”. Funding Authority: Creative World Foundation. Principal Investigator with Assoc. Prof. George Spanoudis, UCY. Total amount: €26 800. 2018-2020.
- “Documenting and reviving the Cypriot Maronite Arabic language”, research project funded by the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture. Leader of the syntactic analysis, Phase 4. Total amount for Phase 4: €18 990. Project Coordinator: Assoc. Prof. Marilena Karyolemou, UCY. 2016.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
Dimitra Dimitriou. “The L2 Perception and Production of English Vowels by L1 Greek-Cypriot Speakers.” 2019-2022.
- MA dissertation supervision
Gender representation in Cypriot-Greek EFL textbooks. 2014-2015.
- BA dissertation supervision
“Speakers’ attitudes towards the use of language by women and men.” 2019-2020.
“Are masculine generics denoting bias and sexism?” 2018-2019.
“The impact of Cypriot-Greek Speakers’ social characteristics on their attitude towards code-switching between English and Cypriot-Greek.” 2017-2018.
“Error Analysis of Greek ESL Learners in Essay Writing.” 2017-2018.
- Scholarship awarded by ‘The Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation’ for excellent academic record (€35000), 2008-2011.
- Best student in class at the University of Athens (Class Valedictorian), 2007.
- Research Bursary, the A.G. Leventis Foundation, 2007.
- Award from ‘The Greek State Scholarship Foundation’ for excellent academic results (for being one of the top ten students of the Faculty of Philology (out of a total of 700 students)) (€2000).
- Scholarship awarded by ‘The Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation’ for distinguished school record (€28000), 2002-2006.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Reviewer. Lingua journal.