Dr Andri Kanikli
LECTURER IN LINGUISTICS, COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) ENGLISH LANGUAGE STUDIES
PhD in Linguistics (University of York, 2011)
BA (Hons) in Philology (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2007)
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the CyLing (Cyprus Linguistics Society)
- Member of the CySSE (Cyprus Society for the Study of English)
- Member of the A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholars Association
Theoretical Syntax, Syntax interfaces to Phonology and Semantics, Generative Approaches to the Acquisition of Syntactic Structures, Language Evolution.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BA English Language Studies
- Modules taught: Language Analysis, Studies in Language and Linguistics, Introduction to English Syntax and Phonology, English Structure, Second Language Acquisition, Academic Writing, Elementary Syntax, English Language and Linguistics Dissertation, MA Dissertation.
- Member of the Research and Innovation Committee
- Member of the Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (ASQAC)
Kanikli, A. (2016). “The distribution of quantifiers in clefts.” Lingua, Vol. 171, pp. 24-36. (4*, UCLan UK 2016 Annual Research Assessment, 5-Year Impact Factor: 0.969, CiteScore: 0.89)
Grohmann K., Theodorou E. & Kanikli, A. (2013). Comprehension and Production Issues in the Acquisition of Relative Clauses in Cypriot Greek. In Advances in Language Acquisition, eds. S. Stavrakaki, P. Konstantinopoulou & M. Lalioti, 90-99, Newcastle- upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Kanikli, A. (2011). “Sluicing and asymmetries in the Cypriot-Greek wh-question formation”. Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, held on April 3-5, 2009 in Thessaloniki.
Kanikli, A. (2011). “Wh-variants in Cypriot Greek”. Proceedings of the 19th GeSuS Conference, held on March 2-4, 2010 in Freiburg.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- “Explaining language”. Invited Talk. A.G. Leventis Foundation, March 2017
- “Accounting for Ellipsis in Cypriot Greek” with George Tsoulas, (accepted), 7th International Conference on Modern Greek Dialects and Linguistic Theory, October 2016.
- “Diagnosing Specific Language Impairment”. Invited Talk. The Cyprus Linguistics Society and Kypropaideia Foundation lecture series, November 2015.
- “Comprehension and Production Issues in the Acquisition of Relative Clauses in Cypriot Greek”, co-authors: Grohmann, K., Theodorou, E. and Kanikli, A., paper presented at the Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition Conference, held on September 6-8, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Early acquisition of Cypriot-Greek clitics: evidence from clitic misplacement”, paper accepted for presentation at the Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition Conference, held on September 6-8, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Sluicing and VP-ellipsis: evidence for a phase–by–phase derivation”, paper presented at the 20th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, held on April 1-3, 2011 in Thessaloniki.
- “Wh-variants in Cypriot-Greek”, paper presented at the 55th Annual Conference of the International Linguistic Association, held on April 15-17, 2010 in New York.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- “Documenting and reviving the Cypriot Maronite Arabic language”, research project funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture (leader of the syntactic analysis, funding received: €1000 euros, 2016). Project Coordinator: Assoc. Prof. Marilena Karyolemou.
- Scholarship awarded by ‘The Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation’ for excellent academic record (€35000), 2008-2011.
- Best student in class at the University of Athens (Class Valedictorian), 2007.
- Research Bursary, the A.G. Leventis Foundation, 2007.
- Award from ‘The Greek State Scholarship Foundation’ for excellent academic results (for being one of the top ten students of the Faculty of Philology (out of a total of 700 students)) (€2000).
- Scholarship awarded by ‘The Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation’ for distinguished school record (€28000), 2002-2006.