Dr Sviatlana Karpava
LECTURER IN LINGUISTICS, COURSE LEADER OF MA TESOL
PhD in Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2014)
MA in Applied and Theoretical Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2008)
MA in TESOL (St Clements University, 2005)
BA in Foreign Languages and Literature (English, German) (Belarus State University, 2003)
PGCert in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (UCLan, UK, 2014)
HRDA Certified Educator for Vocational Training and Executive Courses (HRDA, 2014)
CELTA, Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (2019)
- September 2018-March 2019
Lecturer in Linguistics, Course Leader: MA in TESOL, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (2012-today)
CAT Doctoral Coordinator, Coordinator of CAT activities, Cyprus Acquisition Team, University of Cyprus, Department of English Studies (2010-2012)
Research Collaborator of CySLI Project, University of Cyprus, Cyprus Acquisition Team (2011-2012)
Research Collaborator of Gen-Child Project, University of Cyprus, Cyprus Acquisition Team (2009-2012)
Research Assistant University of Cyprus, Small Size Research Project, The Past, Present, and Future of Minimalist Investigations, University of Cyprus (06/2008-08/2008)
Associate Lecturer in English, English Foundation Courses, Business English, Alexander College, Larnaca (2009-2012)
Associate Lecturer in English, English Foundation Courses, Business English, M.K.C. City College, Larnaca (2006-2008)
Associate Lecturer of English, Foundation Courses, Business English, German, Kimon College, Larnaca (2004-2006)
Teacher of Russian, Greek, English, German, Russian Course, Greek Course for adults, Government Institute of Education, Cyprus (2005-2012)
Teacher of Russian, primary and secondary education, Open School in Larnaca (2010-2012)
Teacher of English, primary and secondary education, Primary-FCE, Government Training Institute, Cyprus (2004-2012)
Interpreter, Translator, Interpreting, Translating, Russian, English, Greek, Cyprus Police (2006-2012)
Interpreter, Translator, Interpreting, Translating, Russian, English, Greek, Larnaca District Court (2005-2007)
Media and Financial Department, Head Office, Nicosia, Cyprus, Electricity Authority of Cyprus (2007-2012)
- General Secretary: Cyprus Linguistic Society (CyLing)
- Cyprus Acquisition Team (CAT)
- Cyprus Association of Teachers of English (CyTea)
- International Association of Multilingualism (IAM)
- International Speech Communication Association (ISCA)
- International Association (AILA), research networks (ReNs)
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA) Research Network (ReN) on Social and Affective Factors in Home Language Maintenance and Development
- Linguistics/Research Group, UCLan
- Cypriot Society for the Study of English (CySSE)
- European Society for the Study of English
- European Association for Practitioner Research on Improving Learning (EAPRIL)
- European Second Language Association (EuroSLA)
- Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe (EPALE)
- South Eastern Europe Teachers’ Associations (SEETA)
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA) Early Language Learning Research
- Cluster of Innovative Education and Linguistics, UCLan, Cyprus (CIEL)
- UCLan CY Cognition and Development Lab, UCLan, Cyprus
- International Association on Bilingualism
- International Association for the Study of Child Language Acquisition (IASCL)
- British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL), Special group on teaching and learning
- British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL), Special group on language policy
- Societas Linguistica Europaea, Linguistic Society of Europe (SLE)
- Sociolinguistic Symposium
- Member since 2018
- International Pragmatics Association (IPrA)
- Member since 2018
- Modern Languages and Linguistics (REF Unit of Assessment 26) UCLan, Cyprus and UK
- Member since August 2018
Theoretical and applied linguistics, syntax and semantics, first and second language acquisition, bilingualism, multilingualism and dialect acquisition, sociolinguistics, teaching and education.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MA in TESOL with Applied Linguistics, UCLan, Cyprus
- Teaching Practicum
- Second Language Acquisition
- Dissertation and Research Methodology
- Student Initiated Research
- Postgraduate Study and Learning
- UCLan Linguistics/Research Meetings
- General English, IELTS
- Technical English (Oil and Gas)
- Russian Language and Culture
- Introduction to Language and Linguistics
- Semantics and Pragmatics
- Child Language Acquisition.
- Teaching and Learning Lead, School of Business and Management
- Responsible for Placement Tests, Intensive English Course
- Leader of UCLan Cyprus Research/Linguistics Group
- Member of the University’s Health and Safety Committee, UCLan, Cyprus
- Member of CIEL: Cluster of Innovative Education and Linguistics, UCLan, Cyprus
- Member of UCLan CY Cognition and Development Lab, UCLan, Cyprus
- Sviatlana Karpava (2019). Heritage Language Acquisition in Cyprus: Longitudinal and Cross-Sectional Analysis. In Guijarro-Fuentes, P. and C. Suárez-Gómez (eds.) Language Acquisition and Development – Proceedings of GALA 2017. Cambridge Scholars Publishing: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, pp. 403-425. ISBN 1527524418, 9781527524415
- Sviatlana Karpava, Natalia Ringblom, Anastassia Zabrodskaja (2018). Language Ecology in Cyprus, Sweden and Estonia: Bilingual Russian-Speaking Families in Multicultural Settings. Journal of the European Second Language Association, 2 (1), 107-117, DOI: https://doi,org/10.22599/jesla.41
- Рингблом, Н., Забродская, А., Карпова, С. (2018). Вызовы для стратегии «Один родитель – один язык»: Из опыта двуязычных семей в Швеции, Эстонии и на Кипре. В: Протассова, Е., Еленевская, М. (Eds.): «Многоязычие и семья». Retorika, Берлин, pp. 34-49. ISBN978-3-944172-33-0. Retorika GmbH. www. retorika.de
- Karpava, Sviatlana (2018). Object clitic production by simultaneous Russian-Cypriot Greek bilinguals. In L. Efstathiadi (ed), Proceedings of the 22nd International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, Aristotle University Research Dissemination Centre, Thessaloniki, 24 – 26th of April, 2015. Selected Papers of ISTAL 22 (2017), 235-250, ISSN 2529-1114. http://ejournals.lib.auth.gr/thal/issue/view/906
- Emily Ioannou and Sviatlana Karpava. (2018) Identifying students’ and teachers’ anxiety levels in and outside EFL. Proceedings of the CyTEA Annual Conference, Language Teaching challenges in a globalized world, 18-19 November 2017, European University, Nicosia, Cyprus, pp. 26-30. https://cytea.weebly.com/conference-proceedings.html#
- Georgia Stylianidou and Sviatlana Karpava. (2018). Teaching and Assessment of Vocabulary Knowledge in Cyprus EFL classes. Proceedings of the CyTEA Annual Conference, Language Teaching challenges in a globalized world, 18-19 November 2017, European University, Nicosia, Cyprus, pp. 23-26. https://cytea.weebly.com/conference-proceedings.html#
- Sviatlana Karpava (2018). Development of reading and writing skills of heritage Russian speakers in Cyprus. In A. Botinis (ed.), Proceedings of the 9th Tutorial and Research Workshop on Experimental Linguistics (ExLing 2018), Paris, France, pp. 50-54. Ebook ISSN: 2529-1092.
- Наталия Евгеньевна Рингблом, Светлана Вадимовна Карпава. Natalia Ringblom, Sviatlana Karpava (September 2018). Особенности нарративов двуязычных детей в Швеции и на Кипре. [Narratives of bilingual children in Sweden and in Cyprus]. Известия Российского государственного педагогического университета им. А.И. Герцена=Izvestia: Herzen University Journal of Humanities and Sciences. Рецензируемый научный журнал. — СПб., 2018.
- Karpava, Sviatlana (2017). L2 Acquisition of English present perfect semantic and pragmatic conditions. Journal of Second and Multiple Language Acquisition – JSMULA. Vol: 5 Issue: 2, 38-58, 2017, June, ISSN: 4147-9747, http://jsmula.science-res.com/index.htm
- Natalia Ringblom, Sviatlana Karpava and Anastassia Zabrodskaja (2017). Russian language transmission and family language policy in Sweden, Cyprus and Estonia. Proceedings of the Third International Scientific and Practical Conference, “Actual Problems of Mass Consciousness Studies”, Penza State University, 24-25 March 2017, pp. 201-208.
- Sviatlana Karpava (2017). Acquisition of L2 English adverb placement by L1 Russian and Greek Cypriot speakers. In A. Botinis (ed.), Proceedings of the 8th Tutorial and Research Workshop on Experimental Linguistics (ExLing 2017), Athens, Greece, pp. 49-53.
- Dimitris Evripidou and Sviatlana Karpava (2016). Attitudes of Russian L2 learners of Greek towards the Greek language varieties of Cyprus. In: Rudolf Muhr, Kelen Ernesta Fonyuy, Zeinab Ibrahim and Corey Miller (eds.), Pluricentric Languages and Non-Dominant Varieties Worldwide: Volume 1: Pluricentric Languages across Continents -Features and Usage. Frankfurt: Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Verlag, pp. 443-458.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Sviatlana Karpava, Olga Nenonen, Natalia Ringblom (2019). Acquisition of Russian as a Foreign Language in Cyprus, Sweden and Finland. International Conference Russian Language in a Multilingual World.”Русский язык в многоязычном мире“ Moscow, 10-12 April 2019. : https://goo.gl/forms/BROn6tkVsZPIJzuw1.
- Anastassia Zabrodskaja, Natalia Ringblom, Sviatlana Karpava (2018). Heritage Language Transmission in Cyprus, Sweden, and Estonia. Third International Conference on Heritage/Community Languages. National Heritage Language Resource Center, University of California, USA, 16-18 February 2018. http://nhlrc.ucla.edu/nhlrc/events/conference/3rd/home
- Sviatlana Karpava, Natalia Ringblom, Natalia Meir, Francesca La Morgia and Agnieszka Otwinowska-Kasztelanic (2018). Literacy Transmission in Heritage Language: Evidence from Russian-Speaking Families in Israel, Sweden, Cyprus and Ireland. The 2018 conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), March 24-27, 2018, Chicago, Illinois. https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aaal/aaal18/
- Sviatlana Karpava and Maria Kambanaros (2018). Assessment of narrative abilities of Russian–Cypriot Greek bilingual children. ICL 20, the 20th International Congress of Linguists, Cape Town International Convention Centre between the 2nd to the 6th of July 2018. http://icl20capetown.com/
- Sviatlana Karpava (2018). Russian speakers in Cyprus: identity, language use, maintenance and transmission. Sociolinguistics Symposium 22, 27-30 June 2018, University of Auckland, New Zealand. https://www.ss22.ac.nz/
- Sviatlana Karpava. English as a foreign language in Cyprus: Cross-linguistic issues and teaching strategies. ELT for a day: Current Trends, 20 May 2017, University of Cyprus.
- Sviatlana Karpava. Picture-based narrative elicitation: data-collection, macro- and micro-structure analysis. School-Based Linguistic Research from an International Perspective. International Linguistic Summer School, University of Cologne (UoC) – Aristotle University Thessaloniki (AUTh), 18-22 September 2017 (12:00-13:30, Tuesday, 19th of September 2017, Central Computer Lab, AUTh Central Library).
- Sviatlana Karpava. Language proficiency and literacy skills of Russian heritage speakers in Cyprus. International Symposium on Bilingualism, 11-15 June, 2017, University of Limerick, Ireland (oral presentation). https://isb11.com/
- Sviatlana Karpava. Acquisition of L2 English adverb placement by L1 Russian and Greek Cypriot speakers. The 8th Tutorial and Research Workshop on Experimental Linguistics (ExLing 2017), 19-22 June 2017 in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. http://www.exlingworkshop.com/
- Sviatlana Karpava. Cross-linguistic Issues and Teaching Strategies in ESL/ELT, evidence from Cyprus. BAAL Language Learning and Teaching Conference, 6-7 July 2017, Preston, UK (oral presentation). https://baallltsig2017uclan.wordpress.com/
- Sviatlana Karpava. Language proficiency and literacy skills of Russian heritage speakers in Cyprus. 14th International Congress for the Study of Child Language, IASCL 2017, July, 17-21st 2017, Lyon, France (poster presentation). http://iascl2017.org/
- Sviatlana Karpava. Heritage language acquisition in Cyprus: longitudinal and cross-sectional analysis. Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition conference (GALA 13), Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB), Palma de Mallorca (Spain), September 7-9, 2017. http://www.uibcongres.org/GALA13/
- Sviatlana Karpava. Cross-sectional and longitudinal research on language proficiency and literacy skills of Russian heritage speakers in Cyprus. 50th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea (SLE), University of Zurich, Switzerland, 10 – 13 September 2017. http://sle2017.eu/
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Management Committee Member COST Action CA18123, COST Association
- The European Family Support Network. A bottom-up, evidence-based and multidisciplinary approach
- Duration: March 2019-2022
- Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 112,000 per year https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA18123/#tabs|Name:overview
- WG1 member Enet-COLLECT (Explicit Crowdsourcing). CA COST Action CA16105: European Network for Combining Language Learning with Crowdsourcing Techniques.
- Duration: May 2017-2021
- Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 130,000 per year http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA16105
- Management Committee Member, Steering Committee Member, WG6 Leader (STSMs and Training Working Group) and WG7 member (Multilingual competence and new speaker varieties) of the Individuals, Societies, Cultures and Health COST Action IS1306: New Speakers in a Multilingual Europe: Opportunities and Challenges.
Duration: May 2013-2017
Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 120,000 per year
- Substitute Management Committee Member and WG1 member (An integrated and inclusive approach to foundational literacy across Europe of the individuals, societies, cultures and health) COST Action IS1401 Strengthening Europeans’ capabilities by establishing the European literacy network
Duration: May 2014–2018
Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 130,000 per year
- WG1 Member (The linguistic and psycholinguistic underpinnings of intervention for LI), of the Individuals, Societies, Cultures and Health COST Action IS1406 Enhancing children’s oral language skills across Europe and beyond – a collaboration focusing on interventions for children with difficulties learning their first language
Duration: April 2015–2019
Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 122,000 per year
- WG 2 Member (Aphasia Assessment) of ISCH COST Action IS1208 Collaboration of Aphasia Trialists (CATs) Duration: May 2013–2017, Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), ca. EUR 130,000 per year http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/isch/IS1208
- Working Group 1 Member (Syntax and Interfaces with Morphology and Semantics) of Cost Action IS0804 Language Impairment in a Multilingual Society: Linguistic Patterns and the Road to Assessment. Duration: June 2009–2013, Funding: European Science Foundation (ESF), EUR 120,000 per year http://bi-sli.org/
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Asma ALHawi, Supervisor (UCLan, Cyprus, started 01/07/2016). Title: L2/L3 Acquisition of English by L1 Arab and Cypriot Greek learners in the bi(dia)lectal setting of Cyprus and Jordan.
- Dimitra Dimitriou, Supervisor (UCLan, Cyprus, started 01/09/2017). Title: The L2 Perception and Production of English vowels by L1 Greek-Cypriot Speakers.
- Maria Georgiou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2013). Title: Attitudes of English Language Teachers in Cyprus towards Popular Teaching Methods.
- Kyriaki Perikleous, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2013). Title: Cross-linguistic errors and negative transfer of Cypriot-Greek EFL learners.
- Rosanna Christou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2013). Title: Motivation of English language learners in Cyprus.
- Maria Sergidi, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2014). Title: The attitudes of Cypriot EFL Teachers towards Communicative Language Teaching.
- Styliana Xenophondos, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2014). Title: The role of L1 Cypriot Greek in L2 Acquisition of English, Evidence from Cyprus.
- Maria Ieronimide, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2015). Title: EFL Students’ attitudes on communicative competence and pronunciation, the case of Cyprus.
- Rafaella Tyrimou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2016). Title: Teaching reading and writing to students with specific learning difficulties and the assessment procedure: perspectives of pre- and in-service teachers who are studying at the undergraduate or graduate levels.
- Sophie-Alice Grainge, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: Investigating the Interaction in English Language Classrooms:Exploring the relationship between teacher’s feedback and ‘Junior A’ students’ motivation and success in the language learning process.
- Andria Polydorou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: Methodologies for teaching English as a Second Language to a mixed group of foreign students.
- Emily Ioannou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: Identifying anxiety levels among students and teachers in and outside English as a foreign language classrooms.
- Georgia Stylianidou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: The challenges that teachers have in teaching and assessing the vocabulary knowledge of the EFL Cypriot students.
- Paraskevi Apostolou, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: Learning Differences, Difficulties, and Disabilities in an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) classroom.
- Antigoni Charalambous, Supervisor (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2017). Title: Teaching English as a Foreign Language (EFL) learners and the high vulnerability of Grammar: Teaching Practices and Assessment Methods.
- Tatiana Kkese (MA, UCLan, Cyprus, August 2018) Title: An Investigation into L2 learner’s Pragmatic Awareness: Evidence from Cypriot L2 learners.
Consultancy and CPD Training
Development of Executive Courses: UCLan, Cyprus, IPS and HRDA:
- English for Specific Purposes (Oil and Gas Industry), approved and partly funded by HRDA
- English for Specific Purposes (Agriculture), submitted to HRDA
- General Russian, submitted to HRDA
- Russian for Specific Purposes (Hotel and Tourism), approved and partly funded by HRDA
- Foundation Certificate in Higher Education Studies, IPS
- Business Russian, approved and partly funded by HRDA
- Medical English, approved and partly funded by HRDA
- COST IS0804 Full grant to participate in the Fifth MC and WGs Meeting of COST Action IS0804, San-Antonio Hotel and Spa, St Paul’s Bay, Malta, 28-30 November, 2011.
- COST IS0804 Full grant to participate in Sixth MC and WGs Meeting of COST Action IS0804, Berlin, BBAW, ZAS, Humboldt University, 14-16 May, 2012.
- Personal Research Budget (UCLan, Cyprus). Partial grant to participate in International Conference Sociocultural Competence and Language Learning in Multilingual Settings. Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 18-19 September 2014.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in COST Action: IS1306 Management Committee Meeting and the 2nd International Symposium on New Speakers in a Multilingual Europe: Opportunities and Challenges, Location: Institute For Catalan Studies, Barcelona, Spain, 20-22 November 2014.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in New Speakers in a Multilingual Europe – Opportunities and Challenges, 3rd Round of Workgroup Meetings, Vigo, Spain, 23-24 April, 2015.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in COST Action: IS1306 Management Committee Meeting and the fourth round of Working Group meetings, National University of Ireland, Galway on 24-25 September 2015.
- COST IS1401 Full grant to participate in COST Action: IS1401: Management Committee Meeting and Working Group meetings, the ELN Inaugural Conference, Charles University (Prague), 7-8 of November, 2015. Working Groups Symposia, Interactive Sessions, and Roundtables.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Cost Action: IS1306. Planning Meeting 2. Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 14thDecember 2015.
- University of Vaasa, Finland, Full grant to participate in Workshop on Multilingualism, Professional multilingualism & raising awareness among professionals, 14–15.1.2016 Åbo Akademi University in Vaasa, Finland.
- University of Vaasa, Finland, Full grant to participate in Workshop on Multilingualism – Policy and Practice, University of Vaasa, Finland, 21-22.11.2016.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Cost Action: IS1306. Steering Committee Meeting Barcelona, Spain, 18th of March 2016.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Cost Action: IS1306. Workshop. Write yourself into science. Tilburg university, Netherlands, 8th of April 2016
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in the 2nd Whole Action Conference of COST Action IS1306 “New Speakers in Europe”, 12-14 May 2016, Universität Hamburg, Germany.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Seminar on: ‘New Speakers’ of Russian: Evidence from Russian-speaking mothers from Sweden, Estonia and Cyprus, 10 March 2016, University of Stockholm, Sweden.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Research meeting: “New Speakers” in Minority and Immigrant Context: Evidence from Cyprus, Estonia and Sweden, Cost Action IS1306, 27 March 2017 in Tallinn University, Estonia.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Steering Committee Meeting IS1306 and Public Round-table discussion entitled “(New) Speakers in multilingual contexts: towards a sociolinguistics of the speaker”, 3 April 2017. Center of Applied Linguistics, University College London, Room 780.
- COST IS1306 Full grant to participate in Writing Retreat and Workshop, COST Action IS1306 New Speakers in a Multilingual Europe: Opportunities and Challenges, 19th -21st April 2017, Budapest, Hungary.
- DAAD Deutscher Akademisher Austausch Dienst/ German Academic Exchange Service Full Grant to participate in School-Based Linguistic Research from an International Perspective. International Linguistic Summer School, University of Cologne (UoC) – Aristotle University Thessaloniki (AUTh), 18-22 September 2017.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Research bidding: RPF (Research Promotion Foundation), European Science Foundation (ESF), Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education, Erasmus plus, NordForsk