Dr Elena Kkese
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN ENGLISH STUDIES/LINGUISTICS
2017-2018 AFHEA (Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy) – UCLan, Preston UK
PhD Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2014)
MA Applied Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2006)
BA English Language and Literature (University of Cyprus, 2004)
Special Scientist, University of Cyprus (September 2018-today)
Special Scientist, Cyprus University of Technology (September 2017-today)
Associate Lecturer, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus(2015 – today)
Scientific Collaborator,European UniversityCyprus(2013 – 2015)
Special Scientist,UniversityofCyprus(2013 – 2014)
Lecturer,M.K.C.CityCollege(2012 – 2016)
English teacher, State Institutes of Further Education (2013 – today)
English teacher, KEPA (Productivity Centre) (2013)
Teaching and research assistant,UniversityofCyprus(2011-2012)
Lecturer, P.A.College(2007 – 2011)
English teacher, Eurognosi (2006-20o7)
English Teacher, Y.P.A. (2004-2006)
- Member of the CyLing (CyprusLinguistics Society),Nicosia.
- Member of the LAGB (Linguistics Association ofGreat Britain)
Acquisition of L2 phonetics and phonology; second/foreign language teaching and learning; second language acquisition and foreign language testing; spelling acquisition and assessment in L2; writing acquisition and assessment in L2 esp. composing; sociolinguistic situation in Cyprus (Cyprus as an EFL/ESL country, status and attitudes toward the EL and CGD, extent of loanwords from English).
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Module Leadership
- Modules Taught: Sociolinguistics, Inside English Words I, Clinical Linguistics and Language Pathology, Contrastive Linguistics, Methodology in TESOL, Introduction to Syntax and Phonology (phonology component), Academic Writing.
- Kkese, E. (2018). Assessing L2 Writing in the Absence of Scoring Procedures: Construction of Rating
- Scales in a Cypriot-Greek EFL In-Class Context. Journal of English Education, 3(2): 46-56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31327/jee.v3i2.809
- Kkese, E. (2018, September 2). Διγλωσσία ή/και Πολυγλωσσία σε πολυπολιτισμικές κοινωνίες. Τελικά
- πώς συνδέεται με την αντίληψη της ομιλίας; Phileleftheros, p. 19. Retrieved from http://www.philenews.com/f-me-apopsi/paremvaseis-ston-f/article/574809/digossia-i-kai-polygossia-se-polypolitismikes-koinonies
- Kkese, E. & Lokhtina, I. (2017). Insights into the Cypriot-Greek attitudes toward multilingualism and
- multiculturalism in Cyprus. Journal of Mediterranean Studies, 26(2): 227-246.
- Kkese, E., & Petinou, K. (2017). Factors affecting the perception of plosives in second language
- English by Cypriot-Greek listeners. In E. Babatsouli (ed.), Proceedings of the International Symposium on Monolingual and Bilingual Speech 2017 (pp. 162- 167). ISBN: 978-618-82351-1-3. URL: http://ismbs.eu/publications-2017.
- Kkese, E. & Lokhtina, I.(forthcoming). Insights into the Cypriot-Greek attitudes toward multilingualism and multiculturalism in Cyprus. Journal of Mediterranean Studies.
- Kkese, E. & Petinou, K. (forthcoming). Factors affecting the perception of plosives in second language English by first language Cypriot-Greek listeners. In E. Babatsouli(ed.), Proceedings of the International Symposium on Monolingual and Bilingual Speech 2017.
- Kkese, E., & Petinou, K. (2017). Perception Abilities of L1 Cypriot Greek Listeners – Types of Errors Involving Plosive Consonants in L2 English. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 46(1): 1-25. DOI 10.1007/s10936-016-9417-3.
- Kkese, E. (2016). Identifying plosives in L2 English: the case of L1 Cypriot Greek speakers. Linguistic Insights: studies in language and communication, li217.Switzerland: Peter Lang AG.
- Kkese, E. (2012). Constructing Rating Scales for ESL Composing. In D. Tsagari (ed.) Research on EFL in Cyprus vol.II.Nicosia:University ofNicosia Press.
- Kkese, E. (2010). Issues in L2 Acquisition of Spelling: When Spelling Tests are simply not Enough. In P. Pavlou (ed.) Research on English as a Foreign Language in Cyprus vol.I.Nicosia:University ofNicosia Press.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Kkese, E. & Petinou, K. (March, 2019). Categorisation of plosive consonants in L2 English: evidence
- from bilingual Greek-Cypriot users. 2nd International Confernce on Bilingualism, University of Malta, Valletta Campus, 25th Mar 2019.
- Kkese, E. & Karpava, S. (February, 2019). Speech Perception in L2 English: insights from a phoneme
- identification task. Transdisciplinary Approaches to Language Variation (TALV2), Cyprus University of Technology, 16th Feb 2019.
- Kkese, E. & Petinou, K. Factors affecting the perception of plosives in L2 English by L1 CG. Chania,Crete, September 2017.
- Kkese, E. & Petinou, K. Identifying Plosives in L2 English: Perception Abilities of L1 Cypriot Greek Listeners: Types of Errors Involving plosive Consonants.UCLan,Cyprus, October 2015.