Dr Kyriaki Michailidou
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
PhD Statistical Analyses of Genome-wide Association Studies in Breast Cancer (University of Cambridge, 2015)
MSc Applied Statistics (University of Oxford, 2009)
BA Mathematics (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2008)
Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Genetic Epidemiology, Statistical Genetics
Associate Scientist, The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2020 – Present)
Associate Lecturer, UCLan Cyprus (2018 – Present)
Post-doctoral Fellow, The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2015 – 2019)
Research Associate, University of Cambridge (2009 – 2015)
- Cyprus Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Human Genetics
I am a statistical genetic epidemiologist with extensive expertise in the analysis of large genetic and genomic datasets. I have co-authored more than 100 publications in high impact journals and I am a leading author in publications in Nature, Nature Genetics, Cancer Discovery, American Journal of Human Genetics amongst others.
I am currently interested in development of polygenic risk scores, fine-mapping analyses and classification of Variants of Uncertain clinical significance (VUS) in cancer susceptibility genes. Over the last years I have also been interested in statistical and bioinformatic analyses of Next Generation Sequencing data (NGS) for diagnostics and research purposes. Currently I hold the post of an Associate Scientist in biostatistics at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (CING).
I have been involved in numerous different and diverse biostatistical and statistical genetic projects ranging from analyses of mutation carriers in order to identify potential modifiers of risk in rare disorders, analyses of candidate SNPs, proteomic biomarker discovery and replication amongst others.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- Dennis, J., Walker, L., Tyrer, J., Michailidou, K., & Easton, D. (2020). Detecting rare copy number variants from Illumina genotyping arrays with the CamCNV pipeline: Segmentation of z-scores improves detection and reliability.. Genetic epidemiology https://doi.org/10.1002/gepi.22367
- Ho, W. K., Tan, M. M., Mavaddat, N., Tai, M. C., Mariapun, S., Li, J., Ho, P. J., Dennis, J., Tyrer, J. P., Bolla, M. K., Michailidou, K., Wang, Q., Kang, D., Choi, J. Y., Jamaris, S., Shu, X. O., Yoon, S. Y., Park, S. K., Kim, S. W., … Antoniou, A. C. (2020). European polygenic risk score for prediction of breast cancer shows similar performance in Asian women. Nature Communications, 11(1), . https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17680-w
- Kountouris P, Michailidou K, Christou S, Hadjigavriel M, Sitarou M, Kolnagou A, Kleanthous M, Telfer P. Effect of HBB genotype on survival in a cohort of transfusion-dependent thalassemia patients in Cyprus. Haematologica. 2020 Jul 30:haematol.2020.260224. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2020.260224. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32732363.
- Zhang YD, Hurson AN, Zhang H, Choudhury PP, Easton DF, Milne RL, Simard J, Hall P, Michailidou K, Dennis J, Schmidt MK, Chang-Claude J, Gharahkhani P, Whiteman D, Campbell PT, Hoffmeister M, Jenkins M, Peters U, Hsu L, Gruber SB, Casey G, Schmit SL, O’Mara TA, Spurdle AB, Thompson DJ, Tomlinson I, De Vivo I, Landi MT, Law MH, Iles MM, Demenais F, Kumar R, MacGregor S, Bishop DT, Ward SV, Bondy ML, Houlston R, Wiencke JK, Melin B, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Kinnersley B, Wrensch MR, Amos CI, Hung RJ, Brennan P, McKay J, Caporaso NE, Berndt SI, Birmann BM, Camp NJ, Kraft P, Rothman N, Slager SL, Berchuck A, Pharoah PDP, Sellers TA, Gayther SA, Pearce CL, Goode EL, Schildkraut JM, Moysich KB, Amundadottir LT, Jacobs EJ, Klein AP, Petersen GM, Risch HA, Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ, Wolpin BM, Li D, Eeles RA, Haiman CA, Kote-Jarai Z, Schumacher FR, Al Olama AA, Purdue MP, Scelo G, Dalgaard MD, Greene MH, Grotmol T, Kanetsky PA, McGlynn KA, Nathanson KL, Turnbull C, Wiklund F; Breast Cancer Association Consortium (BCAC); Barrett’s and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Consortium (BEACON); Colon Cancer Family Registry (CCFR); Transdisciplinary Studies of Genetic Variation in Colorectal Cancer (CORECT); Endometrial Cancer Association Consortium (ECAC); Genetics and Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer Consortium (GECCO); Melanoma Genetics Consortium (GenoMEL); Glioma International Case-Control Study (GICC); International Lung Cancer Consortium (ILCCO); Integrative Analysis of Lung Cancer Etiology and Risk (INTEGRAL) Consortium; International Consortium of Investigators Working on Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Epidemiologic Studies (InterLymph); Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium (OCAC); Oral Cancer GWAS; Pancreatic Cancer Case-Control Consortium (PanC4); Pancreatic Cancer Cohort Consortium (PanScan); Prostate Cancer Association Group to Investigate Cancer Associated Alterations in the Genome (PRACTICAL); Renal Cancer GWAS; Testicular Cancer Consortium (TECAC), Chanock SJ, Chatterjee N, Garcia-Closas M. Assessment of polygenic architecture and risk prediction based on common variants across fourteen cancers. Nat Commun. 2020 Jul 3;11(1):3353. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-16483-3. PMID: 32620889; PMCID: PMC7335068.
- Keravnou A, Bashiardes E, Barberis V, Michailidou K, Soteriou M, Tanteles GA, Cariolou MA. Identification of novel splice mutation in SMAD3 in two Cypriot families with nonsyndromic thoracic aortic aneurysm. Two case reports. Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2020 Sep;8(9):e1378. doi: 10.1002/mgg3.1378. Epub 2020 Jun 29. PMID: 32597575; PMCID: PMC7507478.
- Michailidou K.*, Lindstrom S.*, Dennis J.*, et al. Association analysis identifies 65 new breast cancer risk loci. Nature, 551(7678):92–94, Nov 2017.
- Milne R.L*, Kuchenbaecker K.B.*, Michailidou K.* et al. Identification of ten variants associated with risk of estrogen-receptor-negative breast cancer. Nat. Genet., 49(12):1767–1778, Dec 2017.
- Dunning A.M*, Michailidou K.*, Kuckenbaecker K.* et al. Breast cancer risk variants at 6q25 display different phenotype associations and regulate ESR1, RMND1 and CCDC170. Nat. Genet., 48(4):374–386, Apr 2016.
- Michailidou K., Beesley J., Lindstrom S., et al. Genome-wide association analysis of more than 120,000 individuals identifies 15 new susceptibility loci for breast cancer. Nat. Genet., 47(4):373–380, Apr 2015.
- Michailidou K.*, Hall P.*, et al. Large-scale genotyping identifies 41 new loci associated with breast cancer risk. Nat. Genet., 45(4):353–361, Apr 2013.
*Joint lead author
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- 06/2020: Ovarian tumour pathology as a predictor of BRCA1 and BRCA2 variant pathogenicity, ENIGMA consortium e-meeting
- 01/2020: Meta-analysis of ER-negative-BRCA1 with HRC imputation, BCAC and CIMBA consortium meeting, Lillehammer, Norway
- 01/2020: Ovarian cancer histology comparisons in BRCA carriers, BCAC and CIMBA consortium meetings, Lillehammer, Norway
- 06/2019: Genome-wide association Studies in breast cancer, 2nd Cypriot Statistical Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 04/2019: HRC imputation and OncoArray rare variants, BCAC and ENIGMA consortia meetings, Springdale, UT, USA
- 03/2019: Large Scale Genomic Association Studies in breast cancer, 1st synthetic biology conference in Cyprus, Nicosia
- 10/2017: Genetic susceptibility to breast cancer in the GWAS era. 3rd Oncology Conference, Limassol Cyprus
- 04/2017: Variant (SNP and Indel) discovery stage of the NGS pipeline analysis 1st Bioinformatics workshop, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 10/2016: Genetic Susceptibility to Breast Cancer; Update Using Genetic Association Analyses of 220,000 Breast Cancer Cases and Controls, Cyprus Society of Human Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 11/2015: Genetic Epidemiology and Cancer GWAS, Greek Society of investigation of New drugs in Oncology, Athens, Greece
- 10/2015: Meta-analysis of OncoArray, iCOGS and GWAS data for more than 220,000 women identifies more than 50 novel breast cancer susceptibility loci. American Society of Human Genetics meeting, Baltimore, USA
- 11/2013: Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies in 125,000 women identifies fourteen new breast cancer susceptibility loci American Society of Human Genetics meeting, Boston, USA
- 10/2012: Large-scale genotyping identifies more than 40 novel breast cancer susceptibility loci American Society of Human Genetics meeting, San Fransisco, USA
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- CULTURE/AWARD-YR/0418/0017 : Michailidou (PI) (2019-2022)
Research and Innovation Foundation, CY; Modified Segregation Analyses in BRCA1/2 Variants of Uncertain Clinical Significance. Total grant: Euro 60,000
- Panos Ioannou junior scientist award by the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2019)
- Young Researcher Award in the category Life Sciences by the Research and Innovation Foundation, Cyprus (2018)
- Charles J. Epstein Trainee Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Research – Semi-finalist, American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), (2015, 2013 and 2012)
- Awarded for excellence academic performance during the undergraduate degree from the National Scholarship Foundation of Greece (IKY) (2008)