Dr Kyriaki Michailidou
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN STATISTICS
PhD Statistical Analyses of Genome-wide Association Studies in Breast Cancer (University of Cambridge, 2015)
MSc Applied Statistics (University of Oxford, 2009)
BA Mathematics (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2008)
Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Genetic Epidemiology, Statistical Genetics
List all previous relevant employment:
Associate Scientist, The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2020 – Current)
Post-doctoral Fellow, The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2015-2019)
Research Associate, University of Cambridge (2009-2015)
- Cyprus Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Human Genetics
I am a statistical genetic epidemiologist with extensive expertise in the analysis of large genetic and genomic datasets. I have co-authored more than 100 publications in high impact journals and I am a leading author in publications in Nature, Nature Genetics, Cancer Discovery, American Journal of Human Genetics amongst others.
I am currently interested in development of polygenic risk scores, fine-mapping analyses and classification of Variants of Uncertain clinical significance (VUS) in cancer susceptibility genes. Over the last years I have also been interested in statistical and bioinformatic analyses of Next Generation Sequencing data (NGS) for diagnostics and research purposes. Currently I hold the post of an Associate Scientist in biostatistics at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (CING).
I have been involved in numerous different and diverse biostatistical and statistical genetic projects ranging from analyses of mutation carriers in order to identify potential modifiers of risk in rare disorders, analyses of candidate SNPs, proteomic biomarker discovery and replication amongst others.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
- Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- Michailidou K.*, Lindstrom S.*, Dennis J.*, et al. Association analysis identifies 65 new breast cancer risk loci. Nature, 551(7678):92–94, Nov 2017.
- Michailidou K., Beesley J., Lindstrom S., et al. Genome-wide association analysis of more than 120,000 individuals identifies 15 new susceptibility loci for breast cancer. Nat. Genet., 47(4):373–380, Apr 2015.
- Michailidou K.*, Hall P.*, et al. Large-scale genotyping identifies 41 new loci associated with breast cancer risk. Nat. Genet., 45(4):353–361, Apr 2013.
- Milne R.L*, Kuchenbaecker K.B.*, Michailidou K.* et al. Identification of ten variants associated with risk of estrogen-receptor-negative breast cancer. Nat. Genet., 49(12):1767–1778, Dec 2017.
- Dunning A.M*, Michailidou K.*, Kuckenbaecker K.* et al. Breast cancer risk variants at 6q25 display different phenotype associations and regulate ESR1, RMND1 and CCDC170. Nat. Genet., 48(4):374–386, Apr 2016. (IF=31, 49 citations)
*Joint lead author
5 most recent
- Fachal, L., Aschard, H., Beesley, J. et al. Fine-mapping of 150 breast cancer risk regions identifies 191 likely target genes. Nat Genet 52, 56–73 (2020)
- Beesley, J., Sivakumaran, H., Moradi Marjaneh, M. et al. Chromatin interactome mapping at 139 independent breast cancer risk signals. Genome Biol 21, 8 (2020)
- Beeghly-Fadiel, A., Khankari, N.K., Delahanty, J.R., et al. A Mendelian randomization analysis of circulating lipid traits and breast cancer risk, International Journal of Epidemiology, dyz242
- Hadjipanayis, A., van Esso, D., del Torso, S., et al. Vaccine confidence among parents: Large scale study in eighteen European countries, Vaccine, (2019)
- Figlioli, G., Bogliolo M. et al. The FANCM:p.Arg658* truncating variant is associated with risk of triple-negative breast cancer. NPJ Breast Cancer. 2019 Nov 1;5:38
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- 06/2019 Genome-wide association Studies in breast cancer, 2nd Cypriot Statistical Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 04/2019 HRC imputation and OncoArray rare variants, BCAC and ENIGMA consortia meetings, Springdale, UT, USA
- 03/2019 Large Scale Genomic Association Studies in breast cancer, 1st synthetic biology conference in Cyprus, Nicosia
- 10/2017 Genetic susceptibility to breast cancer in the GWAS era. 3rd Oncology Conference, Limassol Cyprus
- 04/2017 Variant (SNP and Indel) discovery stage of the NGS pipeline analysis 1st Bioinformatics workshop, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 10/2016 Genetic Susceptibility to Breast Cancer; Update Using Genetic Association Analyses of 220,000 Breast Cancer Cases and Controls, Cyprus Society of Human Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 11/2015 Genetic Epidemiology and Cancer GWAS, Greek Society of investigation of New drugs in Oncology, Athens, Greece
- 10/2015 Meta-analysis of OncoArray, iCOGS and GWAS data for more than 220,000 women identifies more than 50 novel breast cancer susceptibility loci. American Society of Human Genetics meeting, Baltimore, USA
- 11/2013 Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies in 125,000 women identifies fourteen new breast cancer susceptibility loci American Society of Human Genetics meeting, Boston, USA
- 10/2012 Large-scale genotyping identifies more than 40 novel breast cancer susceptibility loci American Society of Human Genetics meeting, San Fransisco, USA
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- CULTURE/AWARD-YR/0418/0017 Michailidou (PI) 2019-2022
Research and Innovation Foundation, CY; Modified Segregation Analyses in BRCA1/2 Variants of Uncertain Clinical Significance
Total grant: Euro 60,000
- Panos Ioannou junior scientist award by the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (2019)
- Young Researcher Award in the category Life Sciences by the Research Promotion Foundation, Cyprus (2018)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), Charles J. Epstein Trainee Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Research – Semi-finalist (2015, 2013 and 2012)
- Awarded for excellence academic performance during the undergraduate degree from the national scholarship foundation of Greece (IKY) (2008)