Dr Marilena Antoniadou
Visiting Associate Professor in Educational Leadership
Master of Arts in Academic Practice. Dissertation title: Management roles in Higher Education, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2016.
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2014.
PhD in Management. Thesis title: A phenomenological exploration of the discrete emotional experiences of Cypriot academics, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2013.
Master’s in Public Relations. Dissertation title: Corporate Social Responsibility in Cyprus, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2006.
Bachelor’s in communication and Mass Media, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2004.
Business Psychology, Management, Leadership.
- Reader in Management and Organisational Psychology, Programme Leader BA Business Psychology, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, 2020 – present.
- Senior Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, 2012 – 2020.
- Associate Lecturer, Doctoral Researcher, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, 2008 – 2012.
- Lecturer in Management, Public & Human Relations, KES College Nicosia, 2006-2008.
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Reference Recognition: PR173701).
Certified Management & Business Educator (CMBE accreditation by the Chartered Association of Business Schools).
Committee member of The Association of Business Psychology (ABP).
Chartered Academic member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (MCIPD).
Academic Member of the Chartered Management Institute (MCMI).
Member of the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE).
Full Member of Decent Work and Productivity Research Centre (Manchester Metropolitan University).
- Emotions and self-management in organisations
- Higher Education Research: academic identities, academic values and academic wellbeing.
- Management and leadership in adverse contexts (economic recession, austerity, marketisation / commoditisation).
- The experiences of vulnerable people (migrants, refugees) in the labour market during adversity and unfamiliarity.
- Business Ethics, Responsible Management Education.
- Interpretative phenomenology / Organisational storytelling.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
KES College (Module Coordination):
- Public Relations (Undergraduate Year 1, 2)
- Human Relations (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Business Communication (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Introduction to Marketing (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Public & Human Relations (Certificate in Professional Management)
- Leading workshops/seminars/lectures in Public Relations & Marketing; giving presentations, report writing for managers and professionals.
Manchester Metropolitan University (Module Coordination)
- Business Psychology in Practice (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Introduction to Psychology for Business (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Managing People in a Contemporary Economy (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Introduction to Business, Entrepreneurship and Employability (foundation level; Module leader)
- Global Context of Modern Business (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Events Design and Development (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Dynamic Business Environment (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Work-Based Learning: the role of the manager (online delivery) (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Work-Based Learning: procedures, policy and practice (online delivery) (Undergraduate Year 2)
- Understanding and Managing people (Undergraduate Year 1)
- Business Skills (Undergraduate)
- Leading People in Organisations (Postgraduate)
- Change Management (Postgraduate)
- Research Methods (Postgraduate & PhD level)
- Qualitative Methods for Business (Postgraduate & PhD Level)
Additional teaching at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Psychology at work (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Business Psychology in Action (Masters level)
- Business Project: Consultancy (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Business Project: Research (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Leadership in practice (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Global Strategy (Undergraduate Year 3)
- Responsible Enterprise (Undergraduate Year 2)
- Managing Effective Organisations (Undergraduate Year 2)
- Business Skills (Undergraduate)
- Management of Change (Undergraduate)
- Dissertation (Postgraduate)
- Cross-cultural HRM (Postgraduate)
- Management Practice (Postgraduate)
- Investigating Business Practice (Postgraduate)
- Employee Resourcing (Postgraduate)
- Personal Effectiveness (Postgraduate)
- Principles of Research Design (Postgraduate)
- Managing People at work (Diploma in Management Studies)
- Programme Leader (MSc Management, BA Business Psychology)
- Deputy Programme Coordinator BA (Hons) Business Management (2015-2017) (1100 students).
- International Lead (member of Senior Management Team of Department)
- Study Abroad Departmental Coordinator
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Dissertation Supervision in Management and Organisation studies
- Head of Year 1: BA Business Management (450 students)
- House Tutor: Year 1
- Peer mentor Coordinator BA(Hons) Business Management
- Teaching mentor for junior academics
- Recruiting and selection of faculty members within the Department
- Placement students supervisor
- Personal Academic tutor
- Antoniadou, M. & Quinlan, M. K. (2021) Holding true or caving in? Academics’ values, emotions, and behaviors in response to higher education reforms. Higher Education Policy. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41307-021-00225-1
- Antoniadou, M., & Crowder, M. (2021). Emotional self-management in academia. Emerald Group Publishing. ISBN-10 : 1789735122 ISBN-13 : 978-1789735123 https://doi.org/10.1108/9781789735116
- Antoniadou, M. & Quinlan, M. K. (2020) Thriving the challenges: How immigrant academics regulate emotional experiences during acculturation, Studies in Higher Education. 45(1): 71-85. DOI: 1080/03075079.2018.1512567.
- Antoniadou, M. & Crowder M. (2020) Modern Day Challenges in Academia: Time for a Change, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN-10: 1788119185 ISBN-13: 978-1788119184 https://doi.org/10.4337/9781788119191
- Antoniadou, M. (2019) “Can I join you?”: Refugees’ emotion regulation experiences during resettlement, Journal of Business & Economic Policy, 6(2): 27-34. DOI:10.30845/jbep.v7n2p3.
- Crowder, M., Antoniadou, M. & Stewart, J. (2019). To BlikBook or not to Blikbook: examining the impact of an online platform on student engagement. Innovations in Education and Teaching International. 56(3), pp. 295-306. DOI: 10.1080/14703297.2018.1502091.
- Antoniadou, M., Crowder, M., & Stewart, J. (2019). Exploring perceptions of academic management roles in the undergraduate student experience. Student Engagement in Higher Education, 2(2): 61-78.
- Antoniadou, M. & Crowder M. (2019) The power of phenomenology in examining how organisational members give meaning to emotions, SAGE Research Methods. DOI: 10.4135/9781526495594.
- Antoniadou, M & Holmes, H. L (2016), Peer-mentoring: exploring its impact on the experience of first year business students, Learning and Teaching in th Action, 12(1): 19-34.
- Antoniadou, M. (2016), The House system: evaluating its role in the experience of business students, Innovations in Education and Teaching International. 54(4), pp: 314-324. DOI: 1080/14703297.2016.1146622.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Mouratidou, M., Atkinson, C., Lupton, B. & Antoniadou, M. (2017), Exploring the Kaleidoscope Career Model in Austerity, Paper presented at the Academy of Management Conference, Atlanta (GA) USA. August 4-8, 2017.
- Antoniadou, M & Holmes, H. L (2017), A success story: using peer mentoring to enhance the student experience of undergraduate business students, Paper presented at the 6th Chartered ABS Learning, Teaching & Student Experience (LTSE) conference, 25-26 April 2017,
- Antoniadou, M. (2016) ‘On being an International academic in the UK’s Higher Education’, Paper presented at the SRHE Newer and Early Career Researchers Conference 2016: 6th December 2016, Celtic Manor, Newport in South Wales, UK.
- Collinson-Shield, J. & Antoniadou, M. (2016), Levels of Awareness and Perceptions of Emotional Intelligence within a UK Law Firm, Paper presented at the UFHRD Conference, 8-10 June 2016, Manchester, UK.
- Antoniadou, M. & Crowder, M. (2016), Recruitment and selection of Year Tutors: a case study, Paper presented at the UFHRD Conference, 8-10 June 2016, Manchester, UK.
- Mouratidou, M., Atkinson, C., Lupton, B. & Antoniadou, M. (2016), The career needs of the Crisis, Paper presented at the UFHRD Conference, 8-10 June 2016, Manchester, UK.
- Mouratidou, M., Atkinson, C., Lupton, B. & Antoniadou, M. (2015), Exploring careers in austerity through the lens of the KCM: the case of the Hellenic Public Sector, Paper presented at the British Academy of Management Conference 29th Annual Conference, University of Portsmouth, 8-10 September, Portsmouth, UK.
8. Antoniadou, M., Sandiford P. J., Wright, G., Alker, L. (2015). The power of Greek ancient philosophy in studying workplace emotions: a theoretical discussion based on some empirical findings from Cyprus, Paper presented at the European Philosophical Society for the Study of Emotions Conference, 15-17 July, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Antoniadou, M. & Sandiford P. J., (2013), It’s a long way till June: exploring antecedents and consequences of discrete emotions in Higher Education, 31th International Labour Process Conference (ILPC), Rutgers University, USA, 18-20 March 2013.
- Antoniadou, M. & Sandiford P. J., (2012), Nine months of emotions: a phenomenological exploration of academics’ emotionality, Eighth Conference on Emotions and Organizational Life, Helsinki, Finland, July 2012.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Bullet point list of some selective research projects/research funding
Program/Call, Project Title, Project Role (researcher, assistant, primary investigator, work package leader, etc.), Funding Amount, start year- end year.
- Research and Knowledge Exchange, Manchester Metropolitan University for the project: ‘Entrepreneurship education and emotions in the entrepreneurial process: Exploring the journey of the heart’ (2019). Funding £12780.
- Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (2017). Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Research Grant. Funding £5000.
- Erasmus funding for teaching at the University of Nicosia (2016). Funding €2,000.
- SRHE Prize winner (2015) for Newer Researchers sponsored by the Society of Research into Higher Education and Routledge Taylor & Francis Group. Funding £3000.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Maria Mouratidou (PhD Supervisor, Completion – 2016)
- Sarah-Jane Lennie (PhD Supervisor, Completion 2020)
- Christianna Petrichou (MRes Supervisor, Completion 2020)
- Caroline Evers (PhD Annual Reviewer, Estimated completion 2021)
- Claudia Nario (PhD Annual reviewer, Estimated completion 2023)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Bullet point list of any consultancy and/or CPD training
- 2019 Outstanding Author Contribution in the 2019 Emerald Literati Awards – http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/literati/oac_2019.htm
- 2017 Shortlisted for ‘Best Undergraduate Supervisor’ – Manchester Metropolitan University Staff Awards.
- 2014 Brilliant Tutor award – Manchester Metropolitan University Staff awards.
- 2012 Most inspirational tutor of the year – Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 2011 Most inspirational tutor of the year – Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 2010 Most inspirational tutor of the year – Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 2010 Doctoral Symposium Award for best paper – Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 2009 Doctoral Symposium Award for best MRes abstract presentation.
- 2008 Speaker lecturer: Chosen to deliver the “Marketing & Public Relations” 5-day seminar at KES College, funded by the European Union.
- 2008 Doctoral Scholarship from the State Scholarship Foundation of Cyprus.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Bullet point list of any other scholarly activities, outreach activities, etc. (including participations in councils, publishing committees, other committees)
- Editorial Review Board member (2015-current): Innovations in Education and Teaching International
- Review Board member (2018-current): Studies in Higher Education
- Reviewing member (2017-current): EURAM Conference Reviewer.
- Reviewing member (2015-current): SRHE Newer and Early Career Researchers Conference.
- Deputy Conference Chair (2016): University Forum for Human Resource Development, Manchester, UK.