Dr Panagiota Nikolaou
Lecturer in Computer Engineering
PhD in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2020)
MSc in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2012)
BSc in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, 2005)
Computer Architecture and Fault Tolerance
Lecturer in Computer Engineering, School of Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (September 2022 – Present)
Research Associate, KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE) – University of Cyprus, Dept. of Computer Engineering (2020 – Present)
Lecturer in Computing, Alexander College (2019 – June 2022)
Research Associate- Special Scientist, University of Cyprus, Xi-Group, Computer Architecture Lab (2011-2020)
Researcher – Software Developer, Internship at IROC Technologies Company – Funded by Median Cost Action Program- IC1103 (Sept. 2015 – Nov. 2015)
Total cost of ownership evaluation for edge and cloud deployments, memory reliability, fault tolerance techniques, power optimizations, CPU voltage margins characterization, high level holistic frameworks, intelligent vehicles, embedded systems, cloud computing, network awareness, and efficient analysis of datacenters.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership (UCLan Cyprus)
- Deputy Course Leader, BSc (Hons) Computer Engineering (2022 – 2023)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: UCLan Cyprus: Digital Electronics, Probability Theory for Engineers, Engineering, Research and Academic Skills and Engineering Professionalism
Previous Teaching Experience
- Databases, Structures and Algorithms, Parallel systems, Research Methodologies
- Panagiota Nikolaou, Yiannakis Sazeides, and Maria K. Michael. “INTERPLAY: An Intelligent Model for Predicting Performance Degradation due to Multi-cache Way-disabling.” 35th IEEE International Symposium on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (DFT), IEEE Computer Society, 2022.
- Angeliki Kritikakou, Panagiota Nikolaou, Ivan Rodriguez-Ferrandez, Joseph Paturel, Leonidas Kosmidis, Maria K. Michael, Olivier Sentieys, and David Steenari. “Functional and Timing Implications of Transient Faults in Critical Systems.” In 2022 IEEE 28th International Symposium on On-Line Testing and Robust System Design (IOLTS), pp. 1-10. IEEE, 2022.
- Panagiota Nikolaou, Yiannakis Sazeides, Alejandro Lampropulos, Denis Guilhot, Andrea Bartoli, George Papadimitriou, Athanasios Chatzidimitriou et al. “Total Cost of Ownership Perspective of Cloud vs Edge Deployments of IoT Applications.” In Computing at the EDGE, pp. 141-161. Springer, Cham, 2022.
- Koorosh Aslansefat, Panagiota Nikolaou, Martin Walker, Mohammed Naveed Akram, Ioannis Sorokos, Jan Reich, Panayiotis Kolios et al. “Safedrones: Real-time reliability evaluation of uavs using executable digital dependable identities.” In International Symposium on Model-Based Safety and Assessment, pp. 252-266. Springer, Cham, 2022.
- Panayiotis Corneliou, Panagiota Nikolaou, Maria K. Michael, and Theocharis Theocharides. “Fine-Grained Vulnerability Analysis of Resource Constrained Neural Inference Accelerators.” In 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (DFT), pp. 1-6. IEEE Computer Society, 2021.
- Subham Datta, Panagiota Nikolaou, Maria K. Michael, “TrustPH: Trustworthy Platoon Head Selection considering Cognitive Biases to enhance Secure Platooning in Intelligent and Connected Vehicles”, 14th IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC 2021), September 2021
- Panayiotis Corneliou, Panagiota Nikolaou, Maria K. Michael, Theocharis Theocharides “Component Reliability Analysis on Resource Constrained NN Accelerators”, 16th International School on the Effects of Radiation on Embedded systems for Space Applications (SERESSA), December 2020 (best poster award)
- Panagiota Nikolaou, Yiannakis Sazeides, “Identification of an entire workload’s CPU-Vmin from the n-first seconds of its execution based on performance counters”, IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (ISPASS), April 2020
- Panagiota Nikolaou, Yiannakis Sazeides, Alejandro Lampropoulos, Denis Guilhot, Andrea Bartoli, George Papadimitriou, Athanasios Chatzidimitriou, Dimitris Gizopoulos, Konstantinos Tovletoglou, Lev Mukhanov and Georgios Karakonstantis, “On the Evaluation of the Total-Cost-of-Ownership Trade-offs in Edge vs Cloud deployments: A Wireless-Denial-of-Service Case Study”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing (TSUSC) Special Issue on Sustainability of Fog/Edge Computing Systems, 2019, January 2019
- Panagiota Nikolaou, Zacharias Hadjilambrou, Panayiotis Englezakis, Lorena Ndreu, Chrysostomos Nicopoulos, Yiannakis Sazeides, Antoni Portero, Radim Vavrik, and Vit Vondrak:” Evaluating System-Level Monitors and Knobs on Real Hardware”, Book Chapter in “Harnessing Performance Variability in Embedded and High-performance Many/Multi-core Platforms” by Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- SESAME – “Secure and Safe Multi-Robot Systems”, Researcher, Funded by European Community’s Horizon 2020 research program, Jan.2021- Jan. 2024
- CERCIRAS – “Connecting Education and Research Communities for an Innovative Resource Aware Society”, National Management Committee member, Supported by: Cost Action CA19135, Nov.2020- Nov.2024
- UNISERVER – “Universal Micro-Server EcoSystem by Exceeding the Energy and Performance Scaling Boundaries”, Researcher, Funded by: European Community’s Horizon 2020 research program, Feb.2016- Feb. 2019
- HARPA – “HARnessing Performance vAriability”, Researcher, Funded by: European Community’s FP7 research program , Jan.2013- Jan. 2016
- EUROCLOUD – “Energy-conscious 3D Server-on-Chip for Green Cloud Services”, Researcher, Funded by: European Community’s FP7 research program, Jan.2010-Jan.2013
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member, IEEE Computer Hardware Steering Committee