Dr Panagiotis Kontakos
DEPUTY HEAD OF SCHOOL OF BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
Certified Analyst in Macroeconomic Diagnostics, International Monetary Fund (IMF), Institute for Capacity Building in Washington D.C. (2021)
Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA, since 2020)
PGCert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (UCLan UK, 2017)
Post Doctorate (University of Macedonia, 2015)
Energy Risk Professional, ERP (Global Association of Risk Professionals, 2014)
Certificate in Management (Harvard Business School, 2013)
PhD in Global Entrepreneurship (University of Macedonia, 2012)
International Certificate in Banking Risk and Regulation, ICBRR (Global Association of Risk Professionals, 2011)
Master in Humanities (Hellenic Open University, 2008)
MSc in Information Technology (Software & Systems) (University of Glasgow, 1997)
MPhil in International Finance (University of Glasgow, 1996)
BA in Economics (University of Macedonia, 1993)
Assistant Professor in International Business, UCLan Cyprus (2015-present)
Adjunct Faculty Member, Hellenic Open University (2015-present)
Adjunct Lecturer in Microeconomics and Energy Economics, University of Macedonia (2013-2015)
Manager, Group Internal Controls & Risk Monitoring, , Eurobank S.A., SEE & Luxembourg (2012-2013)
Deputy Risk Executive (CRO) and Country Operational Risk Manager (ORM), Eurobank Bulgaria A.D., EFG Group (2010-2012)
Deputy Risk Executive (CRO) and Head of Programme Risk Management Office (PMO), Eurobank Bulgaria A.D., EFG Group (2007-2010)
International Governance Officer, EFG Group, Romania/Bulgaria/Serbia/Cyprus/Turkey (2003-2007)
Head, Asset Management Risk, Eurobank Asset Management M.F.M.C., Athens (1999-2003)
Economist & Financial Analyst, Greek Progress Fund S.A., member of Ergasias Bank, Athens (1998-1999)
- Fellow of the Centre for Entrepreneurial Development, Alliance, Research (CEDAR), Cyprus
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- International Conference in International Business (ICIB)
- Hellenic Association of Energy Economics (HAEE), Greece
- Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP), Dubai Chapter
- The Institute of Operational Risk (IOR), London, Associate Member
- Fellow of the Observatory of Measurement of Shadow Economy, Greece
- The Hellenic National Defence General Staff Chair in Strategic Studies – “Thucydides”
- Referee and/or member of editorial/academic board in the following international scientific journals: Interdisciplinary Environmental Review; Journal of East-West Business; International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business; Global Business & Economics Anthology; International Journal of Behavioral and Healthcare Research; International Journal of Diplomacy and Economy.
Current research interests are focused on the areas of entrepreneurship, circular economy, energy economics, banking & investments in the areas of SEE, Black Sea & East Med regions.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Chair of Innovation and Enterprise (I&E) Committee (2021-today)
- Senate of UCLan Cyprus – Elected Member (2021-today).
- Council of UCLan Cyprus – Elected Member (2018-21).
- Course Leader, MBA Programme (2015-today)
- Deputy Course Leader, MBA Distance Learning Programme (2015-today)
- Course Leader, MSc Business Management (2015-2018)
- Modules Taught: Fundamentals of Economics, Operations Management Strategy, Management Environment, Contemporary Issues in Business, Global Environment & Business, Project & Operations Management, Introduction to Business Economics & Finance
- Lead for SoBM, Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (ASQAC),
- Chair, Sustainable Economic Development (SED) Research Cluster
- Doctoral Supervision
- Bitzenis, A., Kontakos, P. (2021), Book of Proceedings of the International Conference on International Business, ICIB 2019. Thessaloniki: Laboratory for the Study and Research of International Relations and European Integration, ISBN 978-618-5255-17-6 (e-book) ISSN 2241-5645.
- Poutziouris, P. and Kontakos, P. (2019). Inclusive Entrepreneurship Policies, Country Assessment Notes: Cyprus, 2018, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Bitzenis, A., Kontakos, P. (2019), Book of Proceedings of the International Conference on International Business, ICIB 2017 & 2018, pp. 1-814. Thessaloniki: Laboratory for the Study and Research of International Relations and European Integration. ISSN 2241-5645.
- Kontakos, P. (2018). Blue Economy Entrepreneurship in Offshore Energy in Greece and Cyprus, Economy & Business, vol. 12, 2018, pp. 193-202, ISSN 1314-7242.
- Georgiou, A. and Kontakos, P. (2018). Investment Incentives and Attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) – Evidence From Cyprus, Journal of Science and Business Development Ways, № 3(81) 2018, pp. 157-161, ISSN 2221-5182, Impact Factor: 0,485.
- Kontakos, P. Kafteranios, C, Bitzenis, A. (2017). Renewable policies and challenges in Greece by 2020: A questionnaire survey. Scientia Iranica, Impact Factor 1.025, Category Shimago Q1
- Vlachos, V., Bitzenis, A., Kontakos, P. (2015). Entrepreneurship and tax compliance games: evidence regarding enterprise behavioral dynamics in Greece. Global Business & Economics Anthology, Vol. II, December 2015, pp. 161-168, ISSN: 1553-1392.
- Kontakos, P., Zhelyazkova, V. (2015). Energy infrastructure projects of common interest in the SEE, Turkey & Eastern Mediterranean. In Energy Systems and Management, Chapter 25, ed. A. N. Bilge, A. Ö. Toy and M. E. Günay, Istanbul Bilgi University – Palmet, Istanbul: Springer International Publishing, pp. 261-267, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-16024-5_25.
- Kontakos, P. D. (2012). The foreign direct investment into perspective: evidence from M&A in the Turkish banking sector. In Mergers and Acquisitions as the Pillar of Foreign Direct Investment, Chapter 13, ed. A. Bitzenis, V. Vlachos, and P. Papadimitriou, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Kontakos, P. (2022). Blue Economy Entrepreneurship: Supporting the transition of Mediterranean small-scale fisheries to a sustainable blue economy through education. Proceedings of the Global Sustainable Futures Conference GSFN 2022, Keynote speech, December 2022, Virtual Conference.
- Kontakos, P. (2022). Investing in uncertain times: Navigating Geopolitics, Energy & Inflation challenges. Proceedings of the Money Conference 2022, December 2022, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Kontakos, P. (2022). The Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Cyprus. Proceedings of the Entrepreneurship Avenue Conference 2022, University of Vienna, May 2022, Vienna, Austria.
- Kontakos, P. (2021). ESG: an investment trend we can’t afford to ignore. Proceedings of the Money Conference 2021, December 2022, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Kontakos, P. (2022). Post-pandemic Pictures for a World in Transit. Proceedings of the 53rd International Scientific Conference 2022, Keynote speech, October 2022, Nis, Serbia.
- Kiteos, G. and Kontakos, P. (2019). Survey on the determinants of Foreign Direct Investments in Cyprus. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on International Business, May 2019, Thessaloniki.
- Kontakos, P. (2017, forthcoming). Challenges and prospects for Senior Entrepreneurs in Greece: a comparative study with other EU countries. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on International Business, May 2017, Thessaloniki.
- Kontakos, P. (2017, forthcoming). A circular economy roadmap for Cyprus by 2020. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on International Business, May 2017, Thessaloniki.
- Vlachos, V., Bitzenis, A., Kontakos, P. (2016). Enterprises and tax compliance in Greece: the role of corruption. Proceedings of the 29th Business & Economics Society International Conference, July 2016, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Member of the Stakeholder Group and the research team of the program Be.CULTOUR: “Beyond CULtural TOURism: heritage innovation networks as drivers of Europeanisation towards a human-centred and circular tourism economy (2021-2023). Project aim: To move beyond tourism through a longer-term human-centred development perspective, enhancing cultural heritage and landscape values. Funding scheme: Horizon 2020.
- Member of the Stakeholder Group and the research team of the program: “Urban Sustainability: Together for our Cities” (2020-2021). Project aim: Initiating a solid participation process targeting the production of solution-oriented results and policy tools towards improving sustainability in urban areas in Cyprus. Funding scheme: International Programme Fund of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
- Interreg Europe, A Roadmap for Integrating Corporate Social Responsibility into EU Member States and Business Practices, Role: Member of the Stakeholders Group, representing UCLan Cyprus University, 2017-19.
- Project Leader: Larnaca and Famagusta Districts Development Agency (ANETEL)The Shadow (Informal Sector) in Greece: Size, Causes, and Consequences, Role: WP Leader, Project Leader: University of Macedonia, Budget: EUR 600k, Funding Authority: THALES Programme has been co-financed by the European Union (European Social Fund – ESF) and Greek national funds through the Operational Program “Education and Lifelong Learning” of the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), 2012-15.
- Young Entrepreneurship in Greece. Incentives and Disincentives for Investments in Greece and Extraversion, Role: WP Leader, Project Leader: University of Macedonia, Funding Authority: Ministry of Education, General Secretariat for Youth, Youth and Lifelong Learning Foundation (INEDIVIM), 2014
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Certified Trainer by the Human Resources Development Authority (HRDA), Cyprus, for the delivery of executive education courses. Approval to deliver a 3-day course in “Masterclass in Operational Risk Management”.
- Participation/certification in a wide range of professional/executive trainings and education, such as, indicatively, in Project Management, Negotiations skills, Information Technology, Business Development, Electronic Trading Platforms by Bloomberg and Reuters, in Greece and UK. Certificates are available.
- Participation in the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme of the Global Association of Risk Professionals. CPD program is mandatory for ERPs in order to maintain ERP professional designation. The CPD program is based on two year cycle and participants are required to earn 40 credits each cycle.
- Training through asynchronous & synchronous methods or webcasts, e.g. Executive Education in Management (Harvard Business Publishing), Business Ethics by the United Nations (UN), Open & Distance Learning / Information and Communications Technologies (Hellenic Open University).
- Global Sustainable Futures Conference GSFN 2022, 9-10 December 2022, Virtual Conference, Keynote Speaker. Recognition Award of outstanding contribution as Conference participant, Best Conference Paper.
- Honorary award from the Commander of the Supreme Interbranch War School (ADISPO) Major General Mr. Demosthenes Vitetzakis GEETHA for my contributions at the “Thucydides” Strategic Studies, in collaboration with the Supreme Interdisciplinary School of War, 2018.
- Best Paper Award at 27th Business & Economics Society International Conference, Albufeira, Portugal ,International Conference on Computing, 2015.
- Scholarship received by the Students Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS), 1997.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
For a record of my scientific work and publications, qualifications and professional experience, you may refer to: