Dr Paris Kaimakis
LECTURER IN COMPUTING AND DEPUTY COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) COMPUTING
PhD Computer Vision (University of Cambridge, 2008)
MA Cantabrigia (University of Cambridge, 2008)
MEng Electrical and Information Sciences (University of Cambridge, 2003)
BA (Hons) Electrical and Information Sciences (University of Cambridge, 2002)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Hand Tracking, Markerless Motion Capture, Image Segmentation, Multi-Target Tracking, Photogrammetry, Augmented Reality, Visibility Decomposition, and Machine Learning.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Deputy Leader, BSc (Hons) Computing
- Modules Taught: Computer Games Concepts, Computer Games Development 1, Computer Games Development 2, Computer Graphics, Mathematics and Technologies for Computer Games
- Member, Erasmus Committee
- In attendance, Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee
- Co-coordinator, Faculty Seminars at the School of Sciences
- Spyros Theocharides, George Makrides, Venizelos Venizelou, Paris Kaimakis, Andreas Kyprianou and George E. Georghiou, Photovoltaic Production Forecasting Model Based on Artificial Neural Networks, in Proc. European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference (EUPVSEC), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 25-29, 2017.
- Nikolas Ladas, Paris Kaimakis and Yiorgos Chrysanthou, Probabilistic Background Modelling for Sports Video Segmentation, in Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP), vol. 4, pp. 517-525, Porto, Portugal, February 27-March 1, 2017.
- Panagiotis Petsas and Paris Kaimakis, Soccer Player Tracking Using Particle Filters, in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology (ISSPIT), pp. 57-62, Limassol, Cyprus, December 12-14, 2016.
- Paris Kaimakis and Nicolas Tsapatsoulis, Background Modeling Methods for Visual Detection of Maritime Targets, in Proc. ACM/IEEE International Workshop on Analysis and Retrieval of Tracked Events and Motion in Imagery Streams (ARTEMIS), pp. 67-76, Barcelona, Spain, October 21, 2013.
- Paris Kaimakis, Simon I. Hill, William J. Fitzgerald and Jean M. Bacon, 3D Multi-Car Tracking Based on Monocular Video, in Proc. Workshop on Cognitive Information Processing (CIP), pp. 203-208, Elba, Italy, June 14-16, 2010.
- Paris Kaimakis and Joan Lasenby, Physiological Modelling for Improved Reliability in Silhouette-Driven Gradient-Based Hand Tracking, in Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshop for Human Communicative Behaviour Analysis, pp. 19-26, Miami, FL, USA, June 25, 2009.
- Paris Kaimakis and Joan Lasenby, Gradient-Based Hand Tracking Using Silhouette Data, in Proc. International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC), vol.1, pp. 24-35, Lake Tahoe, NV/CA, USA, November 26-28, 2007.
- Paris Kaimakis and Joan Lasenby, Markerless Motion Capture with Single and Multiple Cameras, in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), vol. 4, pp. 2607-2610, Singapore, October 24-27, 2004.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- CS Colloquium Series, University of Cyprus, December 2013. Real-Time Hand Tracking for Human-Computer Interaction (Invited talk)
- University of Nicosia, Jun 2012, Markerless Motion Capture and its Applications to New-Generation Interactive Technology (Invited Talk)
Selective Research Funding/Grant Capture
- EU Interreg Greece-Cyprus, PRODROMOS: Integrated Platform for Security, Information and Accessibility in Intelligent Marine Transport, Research Associate, €430,000, 2014-2015.
- EU Interreg Greece-Cyprus, POSEIDON: A Network of Camera Sensors for the Automation of Maritime Border Surveillance, Research Associate, €274,000, 2012-2014.
- HP Autonomy, AURASMA: The World’s First Augmented Reality Platform, Research and Development Engineer, 2010-2011.
- UK EPSRC, TIME: Transport Information Monitoring Environment for Tracking Congested Urban Road Traffic, Research Associate, ~€500,000, 2009-2010.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Nektarios Hadjiminas (MSc): FaceER: A Facial Expression Recognition Library (2015-2016)
- Panagiotis Petsas (MSc): Football Field Multi-Target Tracking Using Adaptive Particle Filters, (University of Cyprus, 2015-2016)
- Andreas Tsingis (MSc): Markerless Camera Pose Estimation for Planar Scenes Applied to Augmented Reality (University of Cyprus, 2016-2017)
- Fotini Nicolaidou (MSc): A Study on Acceleration Techniques for Markerless Tracking in Augmented Reality (University of Cyprus, 2016-2017)
- Maria Christodoulou (MSc): Investigation of Filtering Techniques for Camera Ego-Motion Tracking in the Face of Planar Scenes (University of Cyprus, 2016-2017)
- Marios Loizou (MSc): 3D Object Tracking via Gauss-Newton Optimisation (University of Cyprus, 2016-present)
- Nikolas Ladas (PhD): Visibility Decomposition for Post-Processing Applications (University of Cyprus, 2016-present)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- ICT Consultant for Adience Inc., Israel, 2015-2016
- Internal Graduate Studentship, Trinity College, University of Cambridge, 2003-2006
- Commonwealth Trust Fellowship, University of Cambridge, 2000-2001
- Commonwealth Trust Membership, University of Cambridge, 1999-2003
- Overseas Bursary, Trinity College, University of Cambridge, 1999-2003
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Reviewer for articles published by the IEEE (Signal Processing Letters, Proc. International Conference on Image Processing, Proc. International Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, Proc. Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference), Springer (Multimedia Tools and Applications), Scitepress (Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications), AISnet (Proc. International Conference on Information Systems Development)
- Judge, Logipaignion Competition, Cyprus, 2014
- Reviewer, Logipaignion Competition, Cyprus, 2016
- Workshop Leader, Code Cyprus Event, 2014, 2015, 2016