Dr Periklis Papaloukas
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN PSYCHOLOGY
PhD in Psychology (De Montfort University, UK, 2021)
MSc in Health Psychology (University of Bath, UK, 2010)
BSc in Psychology (Panteion University, Greece, 2009)
Health Psychology (Chronic illness, LGBT, Visual methods)
Associate Lecturer in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2021 – Present)
Lecturer in Psychology, De Montfort University, UK (2020 – 2021)
Associate Lecturer in Psychology, De Montfort University, UK (2015 – 2019)
Research Assistant, De Montfort University, UK (2015 – 2017)
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Division of Health Psychology
- Qualitative Methods in Psychology
- Cyprus Psychologists Registry
Critical Health Psychology; chronic illness in marginalized populations; LGBTQ health; Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other neurological conditions; sexual health; HIV prevention; innovative methodological approaches in psychology; visual methods.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Module Leadership/Delivery: Methods and Practice of Psychological Inquiry, Understanding Behavior, Psychological Research Methods 1: Des & Quant A, Health Psychology: Theory and Practice, Health Psychology, Advanced Methods in Psychology.
- Williamson, I., Quincey, K., Lond, B., & Papaloukas, P. (2021). Unanticipated voices? Reflections from our ongoing ‘adventures’ with participant-authored photography, interviewing and interpretative phenomenology. Methods in Psychology, 5. doi:10.1016/j.metip.2021.100062.
- Gialama, M., Papaloukas, P., & McGilloway, S. (2020). Non-pharmacological interventions for Covid-19: How to improve adherence. Health Psychology Update, 29(Sp. Issue), 10-15.
- Jaspal, R. & Papaloukas, P.(2020). Identity, social connectedness and sexual health in the gay sauna. Sexuality Research & Social Policy. doi:10.1007/s13178-020-00442-0
- Jaspal, R., Lopes, B., Bayley, J., & Papaloukas, P. (2019). A structural equation model to predict pre-exposure prophylaxis acceptability in men who have sex with men in Leicester, UK.HIV Medicine, 20(1), 11-18. doi:10.1111/hiv.12667
- Williamson, I., Papaloukas, P., Jaspal, R., & Lond, B. (2019). ‘There’s this glorious pill’: Gay and bisexual men in the English midlands navigate risk responsibility and pre-exposure prophylaxis.Critical Public Health, 29(5), 560-571. doi:10.1080/09581596.2018.1497143
- Papaloukas, P., Quincey, K. & Williamson, I. (2017). Venturing into the visual voice: Combining photos and interviews in phenomenological inquiry around marginalization and chronic illness. Qualitative research in Psychology, org/10.1080/14780887.2017.1329364.
- Williamson, I., Papaloukas, P., Quincey, K., Lond, B. & Akhtar, Y. (2017). Using photography in phenomenological research in the context of chronic illness and disability: a reflective overview, presented at UCL qualitative health research symposium, London, 2017, BMJ Open, doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016492.11.
- Fish, J., Papaloukas, P., Jaspal, R. & Williamson, I. (2016). Equality in sexual health promotion: a systematic review of effective interventions for black and minority ethnic men who have sex with men. BMC Public Health, 16(810).
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Papaloukas, P., Williamson I., & Fish J. (2021) The interrelation of multiple identities: The experience of LGBTQ people living with multiple sclerosis. Oral presentation at the 1st Conference of the Association of European Qualitative Researchers in Psychology (EQuiP): Creating Bridges. 19 July 2021.
- Papaloukas P., Williamson I., & Fish J. (2017). Incorporating photographic data in health psychology research: the LGBT persons living with MS study. Oral Presentation at the 31st Conference of EHPS: Innovations in Health Psychology, Padova, Italy. 31 August 2017
- Papaloukas, P. & Williamson, I.*, (2017). Using photographs in critical health psychology research with communities experiencing health inequalities: Theory and practice. Pre-conference workshop facilitated at the International Society of Critical Health Psychology 10th biennial conference, Loughborough University, Loughborough. 10 July 2017.
- Papaloukas, P., Williamson I.& Fish J. (2017). The co-production of knowledge employing participant-authored photos: Dissemination and engagement opportunities from the LGBT and MS study. Oral presentation at the International Society of Critical Health Psychology 10th biennial conference, Loughborough University, Loughborough. 10 July 2017.
- Papaloukas, P., Fish, J., Williamson, I. (2017). Lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans individuals living with multiple sclerosis: Findings and reflections from employing participant-authored photos for research, engagement and dissemination. Oral presentation at the Qualitative Methods in Psychology section of BPS biennial conference, Aberystwyth. 6 July 2017.
- Papaloukas, P. (2017). Incorporating participants’ authentic ‘voices’ in critical health psychology research: Reflections from the LGBT living with multiple sclerosis study. Oral presentation at the Public Sociology and the role of the researcher: Engagement, communications, academic activism, BSA postgraduate forum, DMU, Leicester. 29 March 2017.
- PhD scholarship: PhD research in LGBT health, DMU. January 2014
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Secretary of the board of Aequitas Human Rights, NGO