DR STYLIANOS HIRODONTIS
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING
PhD in Electrical Power Engineering (The University of Manchester, 2010)
MSc in Electrical Power Engineering with Business (The University of Strathclyde, 2008)
BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (The University of Manchester, 2006)
Electrical Power Engineering, Automation and Energy Systems
Associate Lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, UCLan Cyprus (February 2019 -Present)
Lecturer and Coordinator for the Electrical Technician Diploma, Intercollege Nicosia (EDEX Educational Excellence Ltd) (June 2012 – June 2020)
Lecturer, University of Nicosia (EDEX Educational Excellence Ltd) (June 2012 – June 2017)
Electrical Engineer, S.E. Intelsol LTD (2012 – Present)
- IET UK (2004)
- EIB/KNX Kompaktkurs, Konnex Association (2004)
- IEEE (2006)
- ΗΜΥ EMS Cyprus (2010)
- ETEK (2011)
My current research interests are in the area distributed generation including renewable generation and their connection to the distribution networks. The high integration of distributed generation brings many issues related to network stability, reliabilities, security, power quality, voltage rise, islanding etc. Although I have done research on frequency response of distributed generators and more recently load shedding for islanded distribution networks, my research has been focusing on many of the above issues.
I have a strong research interest in the area of electrical “Smartgrids” with the addition of renewable and distributed energy resources. I believe that this subject where the applications of these in modern power systems is of the utmost importance, and that efficient and intelligent design will play an important part in resolving the global demand for reduction of greenhouse gases.
My broad research interests can be summarised to different aspects of design and applications of renewable generation in other areas such as electrical vehicles and their involvement with the electric network. I also plan to investigate the effects of renewable generation connection to the Cypriot transmission system and the economic benefits that could arise for the country and consumers.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Electronics & Instrumentation, Power Systems, Power Systems Operation & Control
- A. Charalambous, A. Milidonis, S. Hirodontis and A. Lazari, “Loss Evaluation and Total Ownership Cost of Power Transformers—Part II: Application of Method and Numerical Results,” in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1881-1889, July 2013, doi: 10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2262507.
- An Adaptive Load Shedding Method For Blackout Prevention In Active Distribution Networks (Medpower, 2020)
- Load Shedding Schemes For Islanding Distribution Network Operation (Medpower, 2020)
- Distributed generation control for frequency support , P 0920(pp.4.) (CIRED, 2009)
- Characteristic response of islanded distribution network, pp.296-299. (International Conference in Clean Electrical Power, 2009)
- An adaptive load shedding method for intentional islanding, pp. 300-303 (International Conference in Clean Electrical Power, 2009)
- Transient responses of distributed generators in islanded operation, pp. 1-5 (International Conference in Sustainable Power Generation and Supply SUPERGEN ’09, 2009)
- Load shedding in a distribution network, pp. 1-6 (International Conference in Sustainable Power Generation and Supply SUPERGEN ’09, 2009)
- Dynamic Study for Islanded Distribution Network (International Conference on Electrical Engineering, 2009)
- An Adaptive Load Shedding Method for Blackout Prevention in Active Distribution Networks (Conference on Advanced Power System Automation and International Protection APAP, 2009)
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- EwasteR – Designing and Testing new management skills for the development of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Recycling and Re-use System in Europe, EU Project N° 554341-EPP-1-2014-1-IT-EPPKA2-SSA, Research Associate (2014 – 2017)
- Safety4el Improved Safety for Electricians, 2016-1-DK01-KA202-2016-016, Research Associate (09-2016 – 08-2019)
- PhD Plus Fellowship for Research assistance at the University of Manchester, 2009-2010.
- EPSRC DTA postgraduate research study scholarship for PhD at the University of Manchester, 2006 – 2009.
- SAAS Scholarship for postgraduate studies at the University of Strathclyde, 2007-2008.
- Cypriot Government Scholarship for the postgraduate studies at the University of Strathclyde, 2007 – 2008.
- Award from Worshipful Company of scientific instruments makers for the top mark in the Sensors and Instrumentation module 2006.
- Top Graduate for outstanding academic achievement at the University of Manchester, 2003 – 2006.
- IET Prize for distinction shown at the University of Manchester, 2003 – 2006.
- UMIST EEE First Year Course Award, by UMIST, as the best student in the first year of the EEE course 2003 – 2004.