Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology (City University, 2010)
Post-graduate diploma (MA) in Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment (Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy) (University of Reading, 2011)
Master of Science in Foundations of Clinical Psychology (University of Wales, Bangor, 2006)
Ptihion in Psychology (Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, 2005)
Completion of certified training in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Psychotherapy (Levels I and II) (TACT Hellas, 2022).
Completion of comprehensive training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (Behavioral Tech, 2021-2022).
Essential supervision skills. BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision (SDS, 2020)
Administration, scoring and interpretation of MMPI-II (ISON Psychometrica, 2020)
Administration and interpretation of the structured professional judgment tool HCR-20, Version 3 (Concept professional training, 2019)
Administration and interpretation of Structured Assessment of Violence Risk in Youth (SAVRY) (TIOFP, 2018)
Administration and interpretation of Juvenile Sex Offender Assessment Protocol-II (J-SOAP-II) (TIOFP, 2018)
Administration and interpretation of TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) (Cyprus Mental Health Services, 2018)
Administration, scoring and interpretation of WAIS-IV (Motivo publishing, 2016)
Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Cognitive Behavior Therapy
Lecturer in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus, Cyprus (10/2018 – Present)
Counselling Psychologist, Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, Cyprus (06/2013 – 10/2018)
Associate Lecturer, University of Nicosia, Cyprus (07/2013 – 03/2014).
Lead Researcher in a randomised controlled trial, City University London/ South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation (08/2011 – 05/2013)
Counselling Psychologist (IAPT High Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapist), Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Service (IAPT), Haringey IAPT East Team (London, Haringey Primary Care Trust (06/2009 – 08/2011)
Counselling Psychologist, Halliwick Psychological Therapies Service, Barnet, Enfield, & Haringey Mental Health, NHS Trust, London (12/2008 – 06/2009)
- Licensed Counselling Psychologist in Cyprus (No. 142)
- British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists: Fellow (Accredited as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist; No. 100033)
- Association of Contextual Behaviour Science (ACBS): Member
- SDS Accreditation in Clinical Supervision, Level 2 (Assessed Academic Competence; BPS Approved)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy as a preventative and remedial intervention. The examination of mindfulness and valuing in promoting psychological wellbeing and physical health and the development of interventions for better communication and the management of anger and delinquency.
The development and recognition of personal values in adolescence and their role in prosocial and antisocial behaviour.
Experimental studies on role of personal values on the development of social attitudes in various domains (e.g., interpersonal violence, prejudice) and how they influence motivations and prejudices as well as openness towards learning.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Practicum Leader in MSc Forensic Psychology, Practical Experience in Forensic Psychology
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Practical Experience in Forensic Psychology, Professional practice: Forensic consultancy and supervision, Brain, Treatments and Behaviour, Interpersonal and Organizational Psychology, Health Psychology.
- MSc Forensic Psychology Liaison for student practical experience placements.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., Oliver, J., & Morris, E. (2023). Mindfulness training and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in a workplace setting: Results from a randomised controlled trial. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. (Submitted, under 2nd review).
- Christodoulou, V., Elia, C., & Hadjigeorgiou, S. (2023). Can mindfulness and self-compassion protect from relational aggression and victimization in college? Journal of College Student Psychotherapy. (Submitted, under review).
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Lloyd, J. (2020). A brief ACT training intervention for university students. Journal of College Counseling, 24, 2010-223.
- Christodoulou, V. Searching the meaning and personal values in the psychological treatment of adolescents: Activating internal motives and personal strengths. In Papaleontiou, L. (Ed.), Psychological Health of Children and Adolescents. Cyprus: Armos.
- Christodoulou, V., Fortune, L., Gozde, A., & Koc, J. (2018). The experience of ethnic minority servicer users of a CBT-based guided self-help intervention. The Qualitative Report, 23(9), 2205-2221.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in classroom settings (Chapter 11). In J. Pistorello, S. Hayes, J., Lillis, & D. Long (Eds.), In ACT in College Counselling (pp. 223-250). Oakland: New Harbinger.
- Christodoulou, V. (2012). An introduction to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Contemporary Psychotherapy, 4(1).
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Christodoulou, V., Andreou, S., & Monogios, C. (2022). Interventions for adolescent wellbeing (symposium). A feasibility trial of an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy prevention program for adolescents. Presented at the European Association for Research on Adolescence (EARA) conference in Dublin, Ireland.
- Leonidou, M., & Christodoulou, V. (2021). Media portrayals: Thematic analysis of major crimes in Cyprus. 1st Conference of the Association of European Qualitative Researchers in Psychology (EQUIP), Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Kalana, M., & Christodoulou, V. (2021). Professionals’ attitudes and perceptions on newly founded divorce mediation practices in Cyprus. 1st Conference of the Association of European Qualitative Researchers in Psychology (EQUIP), Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Christodoulou, V. (2017). Suffering in silence. Optimizing the management of psychological wellbeing for people with RMDs. Mindfulness and acceptance – How to use your body and mind to manage your life with a rheumatic disease. Presented at EULAR conference 2017, Madrid, Spain.
- Christodoulou, V. & Artemiou, K. (2016). The experience of an ACT group for patients with Rheumatic Diseases. Presented at the 3rd BABCP ACT SIG/ACBS UK & Ireland Conference, Edinburgh.
- Christodoulou, V (2014). Building Psychological Flexibility in students (symposium). Presented at UK and Ireland Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Contextual Behaviour Science Conference, 2014, Dublin, Ireland.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy group training: moderators and mediators of change. Presented at the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). A comparison of ACT training to mindfulness-based stress reduction in the workplace. Presented at the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Oliver, J., Flaxman P., & Morris, E. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for groups (Workshop). Presented at British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Lloyd, J. (2013). A comparison of ACT training to Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in the workplace. Presented at British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Oliver, J. (2012). ACT in groups. Presented in Association of Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS) World Conference, Washington DC.
- Christodoulou V., (2012)., Acceptance and Commitment Training for students in higher education. Presented in British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, Leeds, UK.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Horizon-CL2-2022-Democracy-01-05 (2023-2025). SMIDGE – Social media narratives: addressing extremism in middle age. Role: Research Team Member (Funding: 2 795 144€)
- Erasmus+ KA220-HED (2022-2024). BeTheChange – Effective Video Education for Climate Change. Role: Research Team Member (Funding: 450 000€)
- Erasmus+ Key Action 2 (2022-2024). ReCommit – Prison Education for worksite communication. Role: Research Team Member (Funding: 250 000€)
- Cyprus National Addictions Authority (2020 – 2022). EpiDRASI-Zois project. EpiDRASI-Zois prevention program: A needs-based prevention program for vulnerable youth. Role: Project Coordinator (Funding: 123,000€)
- Cyprus National Addictions Authority (2020 – 2022). EpiDRASI project. A prevention program for adolescents and parents at schools and in the community. Role: Project Coordinator (Funding: 63,000€)
- Guy’s & St Thomas’ Charity (2011-2013). Mindfulness interventions for employee wellbeing. Role: Project Coordinator (Funding: £150,000)
- NHS, IAPT service (2010 – 2011). The experience of ethnic minority service users of a CBT-based guided self-help intervention. Role: Principal Investigator (Funded by IAPT service)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Managing loss in the Covid-19 Pandemic. (03/2021). Open to the public and university students. Online Webinar. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYXOVQ5MOnY)
- Handling the Covid-19 challenge. (04/2020) Open to university students. Online Webinar. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GbFvqNaR4)
- An introduction to parenting skills for challenging adolescents: Epidrasi Program. (05/2020). Open to the public. Online Webinar
- Working with refugees and asylum seekers (11/2019). Open to the public seminar organized and delivered in collaboration with Cyprus Red Cross Society at UCLan Cyprus.
- Working with vulnerable students in schools (12/2018). CPD training event at Lefkara High School.
- Cyprus Ministry of Education Scholarship from 2001 to 2005 during Psychology Degree
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Board Member of Cyprus Psychological Association (2019 – Present)