Dr Vasiliki Christodoulou
LECTURER IN PSYCHOLOGY
Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology (City University, 2010)
Post-graduate diploma (MA) in Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment (Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy) (University of Reading, 2011)
Master of Science in Foundations of Clinical Psychology (University of Wales, Bangor, 2006)
Ptihion in Psychology (Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, 2005)
Essential supervision skills. BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision. (SDS, 2020)
Administration, scoring and interpretation of MMPI-II (ISON Psychometrica, 2020)
Administration and interpretation of the structured professional judgment tool HCR-20, Version 3 (Concept professional training, 2019)
Administration and interpretation of Structured Assessment of Violence Risk in Youth (SAVRY) (TIOFP, 2018)
Administration and interpretation of Juvenile Sex Offender Assessment Protocol-II (J-SOAP-II) (TIOFP, 2018)
Administration and interpretation of TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) (Cyprus Mental Health Services, 2018)
Administration, scoring and interpretation of WAIS-IV (Motivo publishing, 2016)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Lecturer in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus, Cyprus (10/2018 – Present)
Counselling Psychologist, Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, Cyprus (06/2013 – 10/2018)
Associate Lecturer, University of Nicosia, Cyprus (07/2013 – 03/2014).
Lead Researcher in a randomised controlled trial, City University London/ South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation (08/2011 – 05/2013)
Counselling Psychologist (IAPT High Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapist), Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Service (IAPT), Haringey IAPT East Team (London, Haringey Primary Care Trust (06/2009 – 08/2011)
Counselling Psychologist, Halliwick Psychological Therapies Service, Barnet, Enfield, & Haringey Mental Health, NHS Trust, London (12/2008 – 06/2009)
- Licensed Counselling Psychologist in Cyprus (No. 142)
- British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists: Fellow (Accredited as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist; No. 100033)
- Association of Contextual Behaviour Science (ACBS): Member
- SDS Accreditation in Clinical Supervision, Level 2 (Assessed Academic Competence; BPS Approved)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy as a preventative and remedial intervention. The examination of mindfulness in promoting psychological wellbeing and physical health and the development of mindfulness-based interventions for anger and delinquency. The development and recognition of personal values in adolescence and their role in prosocial and antisocial behaviour.
Experimental studies on role of ethnic prejudice and its relationship to personal values and motivations. Examining the priming effect of personal values in making judgements that may be affected by prejudicial attitudes.
Qualitative studies implementing thematic analysis examining media, societal and professionals’ perspectives on psycho-legal matters (e.g., crime portrayals, professional burnout).
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Practicum Leader in MSc Forensic Psychology, Practical Experience in Forensic Psychology
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Practical Experience in Forensic Psychology, Professional practice: Forensic consultancy and supervision, Brain, Treatments and Behaviour, Interpersonal and Organizational Psychology, Health Psychology.
- MSc Forensic Psychology Liaison for student practical experience placements.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Lloyd, J. (2020). A brief ACT training intervention for university students. Journal of College Counseling (Submitted).
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., Oliver, J., & Morris, E. (2019). A randomized controlled trial of brief ACT training and Mindfulness-based stress reduction in the workplace. (In preparation).
- Christodoulou, V., Fortune, L., Gozde, A., & Koc, J. (2018). The experience of ethnic minority servicer users of a CBT-based guided self-help intervention. The Qualitative Report, 23(9), 2205-2221.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in classroom settings (Chapter 11). In J. Pistorello, S. Hayes, J., Lillis, & D. Long (Eds.), In ACT in College Counselling (pp. 223-250). Oakland: New Harbinger.
- Christodoulou, V. (2012). An introduction to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Contemporary Psychotherapy, 4(1).
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Christodoulou, V. (2017). Suffering in silence. Optimizing the management of psychological wellbeing for people with RMDs. Mindfulness and acceptance – How to use your body and mind to manage your life with a rheumatic disease. Presented at EULAR conference 2017, Madrid, Spain.
- Christodoulou, V., Frangou, G., & Karekla, M. (2017). Could experiential avoidance mediate the relationship between stress and tobacco smoking? Presented at the ACBS World Conference in Seville, Spain.
- Christodoulou, V. & Artemiou, K. (2016). The experience of an ACT group for patients with Rheumatic Diseases. Presented at the 3rd BABCP ACT SIG/ACBS UK & Ireland Conference, Edinburgh.
- Christodoulou, V (2014). Building Psychological Flexibility in students Symposium. Presented at UK and Ireland Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Contextual Behaviour Science Conference, 2014, Dublin, Ireland.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy group training: moderators and mediators of change. Presented at the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V. (2013). A comparison of ACT training to mindfulness-based stress reduction in the workplace. Presented at the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Oliver, J., Flaxman P., & Morris, E. (2013). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for groups (Workshop). Presented at British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Lloyd, J. (2013). A comparison of ACT training to Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in the workplace. Presented at British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, London, UK.
- Christodoulou, V., Flaxman, P., & Oliver, J. (2012). ACT in groups. Presented in Association of Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS) World Conference, Washington DC.
- Christodoulou V., (2012)., Acceptance and Commitment Training for students in higher education. Presented in British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference, Leeds, UK.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Cyprus National Addictions Authority (2020 – 2021). EpiDRASI project. A prevention program for adolescents and parents at schools and in the community. Role: Principal Investigator (Funding: 21,000€)
- Guy’s & St Thomas’ Charity (2011-2013). Mindfulness interventions for employee wellbeing. Role: Principal Investigator (Funding: £150,000)
- NHS, IAPT service (2010 – 2011). The experience of ethnic minority service users of a CBT-based guided self-help intervention. Role: Principal Investigator (Funded by IAPT service)
- Vasiliki Christodoulou, Assessing the effectiveness of a brief preventative Acceptance and Commitment Therapy intervention for university students. Role: Principal Investigator (Self-funded)
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- PhD Supervision: The effectiveness of Risk Matrix 2000 and Static-2002R when used with Greek and Greek-Cypriot sex offender population
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Handling the Covid-19 challenge. (04/2020) Open to university students Online Webinar (produced in both English & Greek)
- An introduction to parenting skills for challenging adolescents: Epidrasi Program. (05/2020). Open to the public Online Webinar
- Working with refugees and asylum seekers (11/2019). Open to the public seminar organized and delivered in collaboration with Cyprus Red Cross Society at UCLan Cyprus
- Working with vulnerable students in schools (12/2018). CPD training event at Lefkara High School
- Cyprus Ministry of Education Scholarship from 2001 to 2005 during Psychology Degree
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Board Member of Cyprus Psychological Association (2019 – Present)