Dr Maria Zeniou
Assistant Professor in Educational Innovation and Research
PhD Education (UK, Open University full-time campus-based, 2002)
MA Education and the Mass Media (The University of Manchester, 1997)
BSc Learning Sciences (Distinction) (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 1998)
Diploma Education (Distinction) (The Cyprus Pedagogical Academy, 1991)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Educational Academy
Educational Innovation and Research
Assistant Professor in Educational Innovation and Research, UCLan Cyprus (2014-to date)
Special Scientist & Visiting Researcher, Cyprus University of Technology, (2012-2019)
Lecturer in e-research and Technology Enhanced Learning, Lancaster University (2007-2012)
Visiting Scholar in Computer-supported learning and cognition, University of Sydney (2006-2007)
Post-doctoral Researcher in Educational Research, Lancaster University (2002-2006)
Postgraduate Researcher in Management Learning, Lancaster University (2001-2002)
- The British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- The International Society for the Learning Sciences (ISLS)
- The Cyprus Computer Society (CCS).
Knowledge construction in higher education and professional settings, technology enhanced learning environments, learning, teaching and assessment, CSCL, open, distance education and e-learning, simulation based medical education, teacher professional development, leadership and organisational learning, workplace learning and resilience, knowledge transfer and entrepreneurship, research methodologies, e-research.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MA Educational Leadership
- Learning Technologies in Education
- Curriculum Design
- Research Methods
- Leadership and Management
- Management Coaching skills
- Employability and Professional Development
- Teaching in Higher Education
- Member of Teaching and Learning Committee -TLEC
- University Ethics Committee Co-Lead
- Member of Business Academic Faculty Committee
- Zenios, M. (2020). Educational theory in technology enhanced learning revisited: A model for simulation-based learning in higher education. Studies in Technology Enhanced Learning, 1(1). https://doi.org/10.21428/8c225f6e.1cf4dde8
- Zenios, M. and Ioannou, E. (2018) Digital natives and digital immigrants revisited: a case of CALL, In P. Zaphiris and A. Ioannou (Eds.) Communication in Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 10925, Springer.
- Yiatrou, P., Polycarpou, I., Read C. J., & Zenios M. (2016). “The Synthesis of a Unified Pedagogy for the Design and Evaluation of E-learning Software for High-school Computing.” In the Proceeding of the 2016 Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, pp. 927-93, ACSIS, Vol. 8. ISSN 2300-59631, DOI: 10.15439/2016F159.
- Shahoumian, A., Saunders, M., Zenios, M., Parchoma, G. and Hanson, J. (2014) Blended Simulation Based Medical Education: a Complex Learning/Training Opportunity In P. Zaphiris and A. Ioannou (Eds.) Learning and Collaboration Technologies: Technology-Rich Environments for Learning and Collaboration, Lecture notes in Computer Science Volume 8523, Springer.
- Zenios, M. (2011) Epistemic activities and collaborative learning: towards an analytical model for studying knowledge construction in networked learning settings. Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning. 27 (3), 259-268.
- Zenios, M. and Smith, C., (2010) Organisational patterns for e-learning centres, in P. Goodyear and S. Retalis (Eds). E-learning, Design Patterns and Pattern Languages, Sense Publications.
- Goodyear, P. and Zenios, M. (2007) Discussion, collaborative knowledge work and epistemic fluency. British Journal of Educational Studies, 55 (4) pp.351-368.
- Zenios, M (2008) Technology Enhanced Learning for Teacher Development: a case study of professional learning and initial teacher education, Saarbruken: VDM.
- Zenios, M., Banks, F. and Moon B. (2004) Stimulating professional development through CMC: a case study of networked learning and initial teacher education, in P. Goodyear, S., Banks, V. Hodgson and McConnell, D. (Eds.) Advances in research on networked learning, Kluwer, MA.
- Zenios, M., Goodyear, P., and Jones, C. (2004) Researching the impact of the networked information environment on learning and teaching, Computers and Education, 43, pp. 205-213.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Theodosi, S. and Zenios, M. (2019) IoT and Education: Is there space for CSCL?, The 8th Compuer Science Education Conference-CSERC , Larnaca, Cyprus 18-20 November, 2019.
- Zenios, M. and Ioannou, E. (2018) Digital natives and digital immigrants revisited: a case of CALL, HCII 20th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction HCII, Las Vegas, Nevada, 15-20 July 2018.
- Zenios, M. (2017) Keynote: Functional pedagogies for higher education: the Freirean vision and the needs of the modern society, 2nd International Paulo Freire Conference: Education and Transformative Practice, UCLan and Freire Institute, UCLan Cyprus, 5-7 September 2017.
- Zenios, M. (2017) Researching Business Administration: methodological approaches in the digital era. Paper submitted at the 8th International Conference on International Business (ICIB 2017). Thessaloniki, Greece, 19 – 22 May 2017.
- Yiatrou, P., Polycarpou, I., Read, J. and Zenios, M. (2016) The synthesis of a unified pedagogy for the design and evaluation of e-learning software for high-school computing. Paper submitted to the Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), Gdansk, Poland, 11-14 September, 2016.
- Zenios, M. (2015) Internationalisation of Curriculum in teacher education. Paper submitted at the International Staff Training Week Internationalization and Professionalization of Teacher Education, Koblenz, Germany 6-10 June 2016.
- Zenios, M. (2015) Simulations in education: do they make a difference? Presentation at the Mediterranean Science festival 2015, Limassol, Cyprus, 3-6 December 2015.
- Ioannou, A. Zenios, Μ. and Stylianou, A. (2014) Dialogue, knowledge work and tabletops: lessons from pre-service teacher education, Paper Presented to the 16th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction , Crete, Greece, 22 – 27 June 2014.
- Agesilaou, A., Vassiliou C., Irakleous, S. and Zenios, M. (2014) Collaborative tools in the primary classroom: teachers’ thoughts on wikis, Paper Presented to the 16th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction , Crete, Greece, 22 – 27 June 2014.
- Parchoma, G., Zenios, M. and Shahoumian, A. (2013) Theorizing Blended Simulation Based Medical Education (SBME): A Networked Learning Theory-informed Perspective. Paper presented at E-learn 2013 Conference, Montreal, Canada, 25-29 March 2013.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- ERASMUS+ EAC/A03/2016 Collaborative Partnerships Sport Actions – GReFORM, Good Governance enhancement through e-Learning for Sport Volunteer Board Members, Principle Investigator/ e-Learning Lead, €420,000, 2017-2020.
- ESRC UK, Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with the Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Simulation-based Learning, Principle Investigator, £118.074, 2011-2012.
- UK NHS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals use of Internet Technologies for Educational and Research Purposes at LTH-NHS Trust, Principle Investigator, £12.000, 2009-2010.
- INTEL, Evaluation of the Intel Teach – Advanced Online and Collaborative Programme, Project Leader, $45.000, 2007-2008.
- Lancaster University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Research and Enterprise Fund. Collaborative Knowledge Construction for e-researchers- Project Leader, £1000, 2007-2008.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Helen Eccleston (2017-2020) Doing Strategy – A practice-based study of small- and large-scale phenomena in SMEs.
- Peter Yiatrou: The synthesis of a unified pedagogy for the design and evaluation of e-learning software for high school computing, (2014-2018)
- Panayiota Matsidi: The role of Language Transfer, Corrective Feedback and Learner Factors in L2 Acquisition of English, (2014-2018)
- Jane Costello (PhD): A Study of the Impact of Guest Lecturers on Online Learning Communities in Higher Education (2007-2012).
Consultancy and CPD Training
- American Academy Larnaca: Teacher professional development workshop: Problem solving and communication.
- Pascal English School, Nicosia: Teacher professional development workshop: Communication, management and leadership.
- HRDA Approved Mindful Leadership Courses.
- UK Open University full time PhD scholarship, 1997-2001.
- Selected and included in the list of the 10 key publications of the decade by International Summit on ICT in Education 2011: Zenios, M. (2011) Epistemic activities and collaborative learning: towards an analytical model for studying knowledge construction in networked learning settings. Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning. 27 (3), 259-268.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Editorial Board Member: Open Learning, The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning. Published by Taylor and Francis Online https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/copl20/current
- Member, Cyprus National Bioethics Committee. Sub-committee for the clinical trials of medicinal products of human use, Dec 2015 to date.