Dr Maria Zeniou
Assistant Professor in Educational Innovation and Research
PhD Education (UK, Open University full-time campus-based, 2002)
MA Education and the Mass Media (Manchester University, 1997)
BSc Learning Sciences (Hons) (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 1998)
Diploma Education (Distinction) (The Cyprus Pedagogical Academy, 1991)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2015)
Post-doctoral Researcher in Educational Research, Lancaster University (2002-2006)
Visiting Scholar in Computer supported learning and cognition, University of Sydney (2006-2007)
Lecturer in e-research and Technology Enhanced Learning, Lancaster University (2007-2012)
Special Scientist & Visiting Researcher, Cyprus University of Technology, (2012-2019)
Assistant Professor in Educational Innovation and Research, UCLan Cyprus (2014-to date)
- The British Educational Research Association (BERA)
- The International Society for the Learning Sciences (ISLS)
- The EU Kaleidoscope Group
- The Cyprus Computer Society (CCS)
- Centre for Technology-Enhanced Learning, Department of Educational Research, Lancaster University
- Cyprus National Bioethics Committee
Knowledge construction in higher education and professional settings, technology enhanced learning environments, learning, teaching and assessment, CSCL, open, distance education and e-learning, simulation based medical education, teacher professional development, leadership and organisational learning, workplace learning and resilience, knowledge transfer and entrepreneurship, research methodologies, e-research.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, MA Educational Leadership
- ModulesTaught: PhD Students Graduate Research Skills, Planning and Designing your Research Project, Learning Technologies in Education, Computer-Assisted Language Learning, Curriculum Design, MA Dissertation, Learning and Teaching in H.E., Business Research Methods, Psychological Research Methods II: Qualitative Research, Social Psychology, Leadership and Management, Employability and Professional Development.
- Divisional Leader, Education and Linguistics
- Chair, Teaching and Learning Committee
- Member, Student Enhancement Committee
- Member, Research and Innovation Committee
- University Ethics Committee Lead
- Member of Research and Innovation Mentoring Team
- Member of Business Academic Faculty Committee
- Member of Staff Student Liaison Committee
- Zenios, M. and Ioannou, E. (2018) Digital natives and digital immigrants revisited: a case of CALL, In P. Zaphiris and A. Ioannou (Eds.) Communication in Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 10925, Springer.
- Shahoumian, A., Saunders, M., Zenios, M., Parchoma, G. and Hanson, J. (2014) Blended Simulation Based Medical Education: a Complex Learning/Training Opportunity In P. Zaphiris and A. Ioannou (Eds.) Learning and Collaboration Technologies: Technology-Rich Environments for Learning and Collaboration, Lecture notes in Computer Science Volume 8523, Springer.
- Zenios, M. (2011) Epistemic activities and collaborative learning: towards an analytical model for studying knowledge construction in networked learning settings. Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning. 27 (3), 259-268.
- Zenios, M (2008) Technology Enhanced Learning for Teacher Development: a case study of professional learning and initial teacher education, Saarbruken: VDM.
- Zenios, M., Goodyear, P., and Jones, C. (2004) Researching the impact of the networked information environment on learning and teaching, Computers and Education, 43, pp. 205-213.
Selected Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Zenios, M. and Ioannou, E. (2018) Digital natives and digital immigrants revisited: a case of CALL, HCII 20th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction HCII, Las Vegas, Nevada, 15-20 July 2018.
- Zenios, M. (2017) Keynote: Functional pedagogies for higher education: the Freirean vision and the needs of the modern society, 2nd International Paulo Freire Conference: Education and Transformative Practice, UCLan and Freire Institute, UCLan Cyprus, 5-7 September 2017.
- Zenios, M. (2017) Researching Business Administration: methodological approaches in the digital era. Paper submitted at the 8th International Conference on International Business (ICIB 2017). Thessaloniki, Greece, 19 – 22 May 2017.
- Yiatrou, P., Polycarpou, I., Read, J. and Zenios, M. (2016) The synthesis of a unified pedagogy for the design and evaluation of e-learning software for high-school computing. Paper submitted to the Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), Gdansk, Poland, 11-14 September, 2016.
- Zenios, M. (2015) Internationalisation of Curriculum in teacher education. Paper submitted at the International Staff Training Week Internationalization and Professionalization of Teacher Education, Koblenz, Germany 6-10 June 2016.
- Zenios, M. (2015) Simulations in education: do they make a difference? Presentation at the Mediterranean Science festival 2015, Limassol, Cyprus, 3-6 December 2015.
Selected Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- ERASMUS+ EAC/A03/2016 Collaborative Partnerships Sport Actions – GReFORM, Good Governance enhancement through e-Learning for Sport Volunteer Board Members, Principle Investigator/ e-Learning Lead, €420,000, 2017-20.
- ESRC UK, Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with the Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Principle Investigator, £118.074, 2011-12.
- UK NHS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals use of Internet Technologies for Educational and Research Purposes at LTH-NHS Trust, Principle Investigator, £12.000, 2009-10.
- INTEL, Evaluation of the Intel Teach – Advanced Online and Collaborative Programme, Project Leader, $45.000, 2007-08.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs (Completed)
- Jane Costello (PhD): A Study of the Impact of Guest Lecturers on Online Learning Communities in Higher Education (2007-2012).
- Peter Yiatrou: The synthesis of a unified pedagogy for the design and evaluation of e-learning software for high school computing, (2014-2018)
- Panayiota Matsidi: The role of Language Transfer, Corrective Feedback and Learner Factors in L2 Acquisition of English, (2014-2018).
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Teacher professional development workshops: i)Problem solving and communication, ii) Communication, management and leadership,
- HRDN Approved Mindful Leadership Course.
- PhD Scholarship, UK Open University, 1997-2001.
- Visiting Scholarship: Visiting Researcher at CoCo Research Centre, Faculty of Education and Social Work, University of Sydney, Australia, 2006-2007.
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Honorary Researcher, Lancaster University: Centre for Technology-Enhanced Learning, Department of Educational Research.
- Editorial Board Member: Open Learning: the Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning (Taylor and Francis/ Routledge).
- Co-Founder and co-Director of UCLan Cyprus CIEL: Cluster of Innovative Education and Linguistics.
- Member of the Higher Educational Academy.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of Networked Learning International Conference 2008, Greece.
- Member of the Review Bioethics Committee for the clinical trials of medicinal products of human use/ Cyprus National Bioethics Committee.