Dr Katerina Antoniou
LECTURER IN TOURISM AND COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM MANAGEMENT
PhD International Peacebuilding (University of Central Lancashire, 2018)
MSc International Relations Theory (London School of Economics, 2011)
BA Political Science and Economics (double major) (Clark University, 2010)
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2015
Associate Lecturer in Tourism, UCLan Cyprus (2014-2016)
Associate Project Manager, Youth Power, UNDP-ACT (2011-2013)
Model UN Head Delegate/Teaching Assistant, Clark University (2009-2010)
Interdisciplinary Centre for Law, Alternative and Innovative Methods (ICLAIM)
International Studies Association (ISA)
United Nations Youth and Student Association Advisory Board
Fulbright Alumni Network
Peacebuilding, Conflict Resolution, Securitization, Identity and Group Membership, Intergroup Contact, Dark Tourism, Travel Behaviour in Divided Societies, International Relations
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
Course Leader, BA (Hons) Hospitality and Tourism Management
Modules Taught: International Tourism Management, The Tourist: Behaviour and Culture, Foundations in Scholarship Research and Technology, Tourism in Action, International Hospitality Management
- Antoniou, K. (2019). “Beyond the Speech Act: Contact, Desecuritization, and Peacebuilding in Cyprus”. Butler, M. J. (Ed.). Securitization Revisited: Contemporary Applications and Insights. Routledge.
- Farmaki, A., Antoniou, K. and Christou, P. (2019). “Visiting the ‘enemy’: Visitation in politically unstable destinations”, Tourism Review, 74(3).
- Farmaki, A., and Antoniou, K. (2017). “Politicising dark tourism sites: Evidence from Cyprus”. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 9(2), 175-186.
- Antoniou, K. (2016), “De-Securitizing Identity: Narrative (In)Consistency in Periods of Transition”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index 112, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 10(4), 1010 – 1016.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- ISA Annual Convention, San Fransisco (April 2018). “Redefining Security, Revisited: Assessing Securitization in Application”
- IPSA Conference, University of Cyprus, Nicosia (July 2017). “Civil Society’s Role in Conflict Resolution Processes”
- WASET International Conference, Boston (April 2016). “De-securitizing Identity: Narrative (In)consistency in Periods of Transition”
- 7th Biennial Hellenic Observatory PhD Symposium, London, UK (June 2015). “Positive Implications of Dark Tourism in a de facto Post-conflict Area” (Panel Member)
Selective Media Publications
Antoniou, K. (2018). “Four Decades of Failed Negotiations: Will Cyprus Ever Unite Again?”, The Globe Post, December 17.
Antoniou, K. (2018). “Time to take the Cyprus Question to the people”, The Conversation, September 3.
Antoniou, K. (2018). “Dark Tourism: What is it and why do we care?” (Σκοτεινός Τουρισμός: Τι είναι και γιατί μας νοιάζει;), InBusiness News, August 16.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
Youth Ambassadors for Cross-Cultural Dialogue, UNDP/USAID, 2012-13.
Youth Activism II, UNDP-ACT, 2012-13.
- Research NoW! Conference Presentation Award (2014)
- ΠΣΑ National Political Science Honor Society, USA (2010)
- ΟΔΕ International Honor Society for Economics (2010)
- “Who’s Who” in American Colleges and Universities (2010)
- Harvard Model United Nations Honorable Mention (2010, 2009)
- Clark University Presidential Scholarship (2006)
- Fulbright Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies (2006)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Organiser, UCLan Cyprus School of Business and Management: Recruitment, Retention and Professional Development in the Hospitality Industry, Larnaca (December 2018)
- Speaker, Careers in the Tourism Sector, Blue Career Fair 2018, MENTOR Project, Municipal Theatre, Larnak (December 2018)
- Speaker, Reshaping the Hospitality Industry Conference, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Radisson Blu Hotel, Larnaka (November 2018)
- Reviewer, Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change (July 2018)
- Reviewer, ICLAIM Community Mediation Handbook (May 2018)
- Reviewer, The Service Industries Journal (February 2018)
- Speaker, New Trends in Tourism, Open School, Limassol Municipality Hall (May 2016)
- Speaker, 3rd Pancyprian Tourism Conference: The Branding of Ayia Napa, Nissi Beach Hotel, Ayia Napa (April 2016)
- Trainer, Cyprus Youth Council Pool of Trainers (2012-2017)
- National Facilitator, Cyprus EU Presidency Youth Conference, Nicosia (September 2012)