Dr Katerina Antoniou
LECTURER IN TOURISM AND COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM MANAGEMENT
PhD International Peacebuilding (University of Central Lancashire, 2018)
MSc International Relations Theory (London School of Economics, 2011)
BA Political Science and Economics (double major) (Clark University, 2010)
PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2015
Associate Lecturer in Tourism, UCLan Cyprus (2014-2016)
Associate Project Manager, Youth Power, UNDP-ACT (2011-2013)
Model UN Head Delegate/Teaching Assistant, Clark University (2009-2010)
- Interdisciplinary Centre for Law, Alternative and Innovative Methods (ICLAIM)
- United Nations Youth and Student Association Advisory Board
- She Experts Platform
- Fulbright Alumni Network
International Peacebuilding, Conflict Resolution, Group Identity, Group Membership, Securitization, Peace and Tourism, Dark Tourism, Post-Conflict Travel Behaviour
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BA (Hons) Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Modules Taught: International Tourism Management (postgraduate level), The Tourist: Behaviour and Culture, Foundations in Scholarship Research and Technology, Tourism in Action, International Issues in Hospitality, The Tourist: Experience and Motivation
- Antoniou, K. (2020). “The Role of Visiting Professionals in Peacebuilding”. In Role and Impact of Tourism in Peacebuilding and Conflict Transformation (pp. 320-341). IGI Global.
- Antoniou, K. (2019). “Beyond the speech act: Contact, desecuritization, and peacebuilding in Cyprus”. In Securitization Revisited (pp. 168-193). Routledge.
- Farmaki, A., Antoniou, K. and Christou, P. (2019). “Visiting the ‘enemy’: Visitation in politically unstable destinations”, Tourism Review, 74(3), 293-309.
- Farmaki, A., and Antoniou, K. (2017). “Politicising dark tourism sites: Evidence from
Cyprus”. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 9(2), 175-186.
- Antoniou, K. (2016), ‘De-Securitizing Identity: Narrative (In)Consistency in Periods of Transition’, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index 112, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 10(4), 1010 – 1016.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- ISA Annual Convention, San Fransisco (April 2018). “Redefining Security, Revisited: Assessing Securitization in Application” (Panel Member)
- IPSA Conference, University of Cyprus, Nicosia (July 2017). “Civil Society’s Role in Conflict Resolution Processes”
- WASET International Conference, Boston (April 2016). “De-securitizing Identity: Narrative (In)consistency in Periods of Transition”
- 7th Biennial Hellenic Observatory PhD Symposium, London, UK (June 2015). “Positive Implications of Dark Tourism in a de facto Post-conflict Area” (Panel Member)
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Youth Ambassadors for Cross-Cultural Dialogue, UNDP/USAID, 2012-13.
- Youth Activism II, UNDP-ACT, 2012-13.
- UCLan Fall 2015 Research Grant (2015)
- Research NoW! Conference Presentation Award (2014)
- University of Central Lancashire Scholarship for Doctoral Studies (2013)
- ΠΣΑ National Political Science Honor Society, USA (2010)
- ΟΔΕ International Honor Society for Economics (2010)
- “Who’s Who” in American Colleges and Universities (2010)
- Harvard Model United Nations Honorable Mention (2010, 2009)
- Clark University Presidential Scholarship (2006)
- Fulbright Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies (2006)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Speaker, Putting People First: The new stresses of sociocultural practice in a post-pandemic world, Unlearning Talks, START Greece (17 September 2020)
- Reviewer, Tourism Review (August 2020; September 2020)
- Conference Co-Organiser, The Social Mediation Conference, UCLan Cyprus School of Law and ICLAIM, Pyla (September 2020)
- Conference Co-Organiser, UCLan Cyprus School of Business and Management Conference: New Strategic Horizons in the Hospitality Industry, Larnaca (December 2019)
- UCLan Cyprus School of Business and Management Conference: Recruitment, Retention and Professional Development in the Hospitality Industry, Larnaca (December 2018)
- Speaker, Careers in the Tourism Sector, Blue Career Fair 2018, MENTOR Project, Municipal Theatre, Larnaka (December 2018)
- Speaker, Reshaping the Hospitality Industry Conference, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Radisson Blu Hotel, Larnaka (November 2018)
- Reviewer, The Service Industries Journal (February 2018)
- Trainer/Facilitator, Cyprus Youth Council (2012-2017)
- Trainer and Coordinator, Workshops for Refugee Integration, Kofinou (May 2016)
- Consultant, Cyprus Digital Champion (2014; 2015)
- Trainer, Young Ideas for Europe, GC School of Careers, Nicosia (March 2014)
- Trainer, European Parliament Roadshow, European Parliament (February 2014)
- Organiser, Youth Power Skills Workshop Series (June 2013)
- Organiser, Youth Power Entrepreneurship Training (April 2013)
- National Facilitator, Cyprus EU Presidency Youth Conference, Nicosia (September 2012)