Dr Marios Raspopoulos
Assistant Professor and Course Leader of BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
PhD Telecommunications (University of Surrey, 2008)
MSc Communication Networks and Software (University of Surrey, UK, 2004)
MEng Electronics with Mobile Communications (University of Surrey, UK, 2003)
- Telecommunications and Mobile Wireless Communications and Technologies (Network planning/dimensioning/optimization of energy and spectrum utilization, coverage, capacity, user experience and quality.
- Radio Propagation/Radio Planning/Wireless Channel Modelling
- Context awareness and Mobile and Ubiquitous/Pervasive Computing
- Localization and Tracking
- Human Exposure to Electromagnetic Radiation
- Smart Homes/Smart Cities: The role of ICT
- Course Leader, BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Module Leader of several Electrical and Electronic Engineering Modules
Throughout my professional and academic career, I have taught various undergraduate and postgraduate modules in Mobile Communications, Antennas and Propagation, Communication Networks, Digital Communications, Wireless Networks and Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing.
Recent Publications (from 2012 onwards)
- L. Kanaris, A. Kokkinis, M. Raspopoulos, A. Liotta and S. Stavrou, "Improving RSS fingerprint-based localization using directional antennas," Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014 8th European Conference on, pp. 1593-1597, The Hague, April 2014.
- Kokkinis, L. Kanaris, M. Raspopoulos, A. Liotta and S. Stavrou, "Optimizing route prior knowledge for map-aided fingerprint-based positioning systems," Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014 8th European Conference on, pp. 2141-2144, The Hague, April 2014.
- A. Kokkinis, M. Raspopoulos, L. Kanaris, A. Liotta, S. Stavrou, “Map-Aided Fingerprint-based Indoor Positioning”, IEEE 24th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC'13), pp. 270-274, London, Sept. 2013
- I. Arambasic,J. Casajus, I. Raos, M. Raspopoulos, S. Stavrou, "Anchor-less Self-Positioning in Rectangular Room Based on sectorized Narrowband Antennas", 19th European Wireless Conference 2013, pp. 1-6, Guildford, UK, April 2013
- L. Kanaris, A. Kokkinis, A. Liotta, M. Raspopoulos, S. Stavrou, "A Binomial Distribution Approach for the Evaluation of Indoor Positioning Systems",20th International Conference on Telecommunications, pp.1-4,Casablanca, Morocco, May 2013
- I. Arambasic, M. Raspopoulos, J. Casajus Quiros, I. Raos, S. Stavrou, "Self Positioning and mapping or rectangular rooms with sectorized narrowband antennas", SoftCOM 2012, pp.1-4, Split, September 2012
- M. Laaraiedh, B. Uguen, J. Stephan, Y. Corre, Y. Lostanlen, M. Raspopoulos, S. Stavrou, “Ray Tracing-Based Radio Propagation Modeling for Indoor Localization Purposes”, The International Workshop on Computer-Aided Modeling Analysis and Design of Communication Links and Networks (IEEE CAMAD 2012), pp.276-280, Barcelona, Sep. 2012.
- M. Raspopoulos, C. Laoudias, L. Kanaris, A. Kokkinis, C. Panayiotou, S. Stavrou, “Cross Device Fingerprint-based Positioning using 3D Ray Tracing”, The 8th International Workshop on Communications and Mobile Computing (IWCMC 2012), pp. 147-152, Limassol, August 2012.
- I. Arambasic, J. Casajus, B. Denis, M. D. Noes, M.Laaraiedh, B. Uguen, Y. Lostanlen, M. Raspopoulos, S. Stavrou, J. Nielsen, T. K. Madasen, D. M. Condeco, R. Raulefs, " Context-Awareness and Self-Localization in Wireless Networks: The WHERE2 Proposals", ICT-Future Network and MobileSummit 2012, Berlin,Germany, July 2012
- M. Raspopoulos,B. Denis,M. Laaraiedh,J. Domınguez,L.de Celis,D. Slock,G. Agapiou,J. Stephan,S. Stavrou, “Location-Dependent Information Extraction for Positioning”, International Conference on Localization and GNSS, pp 1-6, Starnberg, June 2012.
- M. Raspopoulos, C. Laoudias, L. Kanaris, A. Kokkinis, C. Panayiotou, S. Stavrou, “3D Ray Tracing for device-independent fingerprint-based positioning”, Proc. of 9th Workshop in Positioning Navigation and Communications 2012 (WPNC2012), pp.109-113, Dresden, Germany, 16 March 2012
- M. Raspopoulos, S. Stavrou, “FrequencySelective Buildings through Frequency Selective Surfaces”, IEEE Trans. in Antennas and Propagation., Vol. 59, Issue 8, pp. 2998-3005, Aug. 2011.
- Co-author of chapter "Showcasing 5G Handsets" in “Energy Efficient Smart Phones for 5G Networks”, ISBN 978-3-319-10313-6, Springer, Nov. 2014
- Co-author ‘Influence of the propagation channel on satellite communications - channel dynamics effects on mobile, fixed and optical multimedia applications’, written during EU IST FP6 SatNEx project: Satellite Communications Network of Excellence. ISBN 978-3-8322-6904-3, 2008.
- Project Manager in TruNET – 3D Wireless Network Planning Simulator, Industrial Funding Schemes 2007-2013, Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Trade and Tourism, Cyprus, Jan. 2013 - Dec. 2014.
- Task Leader in EU FP7 ICT 2009- WHERE-2 – Wireless Hybrid Enhanced Radio Estimators 2, July 2010 – June 2013.
- Work Package leader in EU FP7-ICT-2009-4 -C2Power – Cognitive Radio and Cooperative strategies for power saving in multi-standard wireless devices - January 2010 – December 2012.
- Work Package Leader in EU FP7-ICT-2009-1.1- CogEU – COGnitive radio systems for efficient sharing of TV white spaces in EUropean contex - January 2010 – December 2012.
- Task Leader in ΤΠΕ/ΕΠΙΚΟΙ/0609(ΒΙΕ) - LOCME – Localization of Mobile Terminals, Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation, Oct. 2011 - Sept 2013.
- Task Leader and Technical Coordinator of the Cypriot Consortium in MOBILIA – Mobility concepts for IMT-Advanced Networks – EUREKA CELTIC/Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation, December 2008– December 2010.
- Work Package Leader in EU FP7-ICT-2007 - FUTON - Fibre Optic Networks for Distributed, Extensible Heterogeneous Radio Architectures and Service provisioning.
- Task Leader in EU FP7 ICT 2007-1 WHERE - Wireless Hybrid Enhanced Radio Estimators, January 2008 – December 2010.
- Research Associate in 4GOpen -Optimization and Convergence for Next Generation Networks, EUREKA-EUROSTARS/Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation, May 2009 – October 2011.
- Project Coordinator in ASPIDA - Security in Sensor Network, Research for new Researchers/Cyprus Research Promotion foundation, 2006 – December 2010.