The Innovation, Start-up and Entrepreneurship Cluster of UCLan Cyprus aims to advance and promote research-based activities in the field of innovation and entrepreneurship.
• Research publications contributing to academic knowledge in the field of innovation, entrepreneurship and family business
- PhD research work in entrepreneurship including Family Business and Entrepreneurship
- Organising and running seminars and workshops focusing on entrepreneurial growth, start-ups, and family business
- Research proposals for EU funding (e.g. Erasmus+) in areas contributing to theory and practice of family business and entrepreneurial ventures
- Participation in conferences, initiatives and competitions relating to innovation, entrepreneurship and family business
Entrepreneurship Camp: This is an annual initiative that runs as part of the MBA programme that aims to bring together scholars, entrepreneurship stakeholders, family entrepreneurs and next generation leaders to exchange insights and experiences on entrepreneurial growth routes, leadership models and innovative approaches across the stages of the business life cycle.
IdeaFest Competition: This annual initiative involves a series of idea generation workshops and start-up businesses training that culminate in the presentation of start-up ideas and their appraisal by a panel of experts enjoying sponsorships from various partners.
International Field Trips: This initiative is part of the MBA programme which aims to promote study tours and network with entrepreneurial leaders across borders. The scheme stimulates entrepreneurialism through live cases of entrepreneurial ventures that lead to exchange forums taking place overseas. Previous educational field trips have taken place in Sofia (Bulgaria) and Salzburg (Austria) while a trip to Italian family businesses will follow to highlight the aspects of entrepreneurialism across business life cycles.
- Expand your entrepreneurial horizons, Mr Yiannis Hadjiconstantouras, StudentLife, 2020;
- From Business Idea to Implementation: The case of NEO Convenience, Mr Ektoras Karayiannis, NEO Convenience, 2020;
- Leadership, Motivation and HR practices in family businesses, Mr Emilios Rotsides, Zorbas Bakeries, 2020;
- Business Models and Market Research for Start-ups, Mr Olympios Toumazou, RAI Consultants, 2019;
- Family Business Management: An example of a high voltage company, Dr Markus Baur, BAUR GmbH, 2019;
- A Truly Inspiring Entrepreneur: One Story of Success, Mrs Natalia Kardash, Vestnik Kipra Communications Group, 2019
- The Halloumi Strategy Revisited (in conjunction with UCLan Cyprus MBA), Mr George Eleftheriou and Mr Sozos-Christos Theodoulou, 2019
- The SAXO Bank Business Model, Dr Cleanthis Chandriotis, Cyprus Investment and Securities Corporation Limited (CISCO), 2016
- Larnaka Tourism Board’s role in repositioning the destination, Mrs Nana Asmeni Pavlou, Larnaka Tourism Board, 2016
- Insights into Sport Tourism, Mrs Yiota Skitini-Flourentzou, Tecoma Services Ltd, 2016
- Operations Management-What it is and its Challenges, Mr Panikos Sardos, P&E Sardos Business Solutions International, 2016
- How to make the university entrepreneurial-lessons from best practice, Dr Ioannis Kinias, University of Aegean, 2016
- A young woman in the Cypriot entrepreneurial world: leadership lessons learnt from my journey, Dr Celia Hadjichristodoulou, GrantXpert Consulting, 2016
- Cyherbia: Daring to dream and making it happen, Mrs Miranda Tringis, Cyherbia Botanical Park, 2016
- Oil and Gas, Economic Prospects and Legal Challenges, Mrs Marianna Charalabmous, Mx Consulting, 2015
- Re-shaping the Cyprus Economy for Business, Dr Michael Sarris, Ex-Minister of Finance of the Republic of Cyprus, 2014
- Marketing wine in Cyprus: the case of Zambartas Wineries, Marleen Zambartas Brouwer, Zambartas Wineries, 2014
Research projects & collaborations
I.S.E.C faculty is involved in externally funded projects and collaborations under ERASMUS+, COST Actions and HRDA supported Executive Courses. Further, the cluster is working on a number of research activities in collaboration with external partners.
- SPRING – “Succession Planning and Regeneration in Family Businesses for New Growth through an innovative training programme” (A 3-year programme of €999.000 under Erasmus +, KA2). Web Page: euspring.eu
- Management Committee Member, Working Group 1 (Foundations) and Working Group 2 (Industries and Impact) of the European Cooperation in Science & Technology, Cost Action CA16206: Empowering the next generation of social enterprise scholars. Duration: November 2017- November 2021.Funding: European Cooperation in Science & Technology URL: http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA16206?management
- “Responsible Research and Innovation in Business and Industry” (A 3-year programme of €1 881.663 under FP7,European Commission) Web Page: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/609817
- “Restructuring in SMEs: National Report and Cases from Cyprus” 2013- A project funded by the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions (European Union) https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emcc/erm/smes.html
Staff and Research Interests
Professor Panikkos Poutziouris: Family business and business family, succession planning, governance and strategic planning in family firms.
Dr Fanos Tekelas: Turnaround strategies, start-up and entrepreneurial orientation, small hospitality ventures.
Assistant Professor Christos Anagnostopoulos: Sport entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility, succession in family firms.
Assistant Professor Panayiotis Kontakos: Entrepreneurship, circular economy, banking and investments in SMEs.
Dr Anthi Avloniti : International business, cross-cultural management, international entrepreneurship, internationalization of SMEs and MNEs.
PhD Students: Eva Karayianni; Moyses Moyseos
External Associates: Dr Elias Hadjielias (Cyprus University of Technology); Dr Christos Savva (Cyprus University of Technology); Prof Eleni Stavrou-Costea (University of Cyprus); Prof Sue Smith (UCLan UK, Centre for SME Development); Dr Kostas latridis (University of Bath, UK); Prof Juan Jimenez Moreno (Castilla-La Mancha, Spain); Prof Matti Koiranen (Jyvaskyla University, Finland); Dr Daniel Pittino (Jonkoping International Business School, Sweden); Prof Pei Rong (Beijing Institute of Technology, China); Prof Khaled Soufani (University of Cambridge, UK); Dr Constantinos Theodoridis (Manchester Metropolitan University, UK); Prof Salvo Tomaselli (Palermo University, Italy); Prof Yong Wang (Wolverhampton University, UK)