To inspire, guide and support companies to do business responsibly and take action for a more sustainable future in Cyprus.
The Sustainability and Economic Development UCLan Cyprus research group aims to produce interdisciplinary cutting-edge research in the field of sustainability and economic development, using innovative collaborations and strategic multi-stakeholder partnerships.
• Research publications contributing to academic knowledge in the fields of sustainability and economic development
• MA & MBA research work in the fields of business administration, management & finance.
• PhD research work in sustainability & economics including circular economy, SDGs, sustainable international business and investments, blue growth and corporate governance
- Organising and developing KT activities e.g. HRDA and other seminar/workshops focusing on research in corporate sustainability initiatives
• Participation partnerships in interdisciplinary research proposals for EU funding (e.g. Horizon 2020, Erasmus +) on topics related to circular economy and Sustainable Development Goals
• Sustainable Investments, including sustainable FDIs
• Circular Economy Business Models
• Blue Growth & Entrepreneurship
INITIATIVES & RESEARCH PROJECTS
• MBA Master Business Administration
- BA in Business Administration
• BA in Accounting and Finance
- BA in Advertising and Marketing Communications
In cooperation with other universities and stakeholder organizations interested in the promotion of sustainable economic development, SED have led a number of initiatives, such as: Open forums, development seminars and workshops, involving local and international academics, practitioners, publishing houses, entrepreneurs, local partners and students.
Academic workshops & Conferences
• Applying Circular Economy principles for Sustainable Tourism, 2020-21, Member of the Stakeholder Working Group, Dr Panayiotis Kontakos, UCLan Cyprus.
• A Roadmap for Integrating Corporate Social Responsibility into EU Member States and Business Practices, Member of the Stakeholder Group, ANETEL, 2017-2020, Dr Panayiotis Kontakos, UCLan Cyprus.
- Participation at 3rd Euro-Mediterranean Conference 2018, www.smartbluecity, Larnaca, October 5-6, 2018.
UCLan, Cyprus, SoBM/MBA Workshop Series on Practitioners Perspectives, 2017-2020
UCLan, Cyprus, SoBM Research Series, 2017-20120
UCLan Cyprus, MBA Webinars, 2020
Research projects & collaborations
SED faculty is involved in externally funded projects and collaborations under ERASMUS+, Interreg Europe, Interreg Mediterranean, Incircle, Horizon 2020, HRDA supported Executive Courses. Further, the cluster is working on a number of research activities in collaboration with Larnaca District Development Agency (ANETEL), Larnaca Municipality and the Centre for Entrepreneurial Development, Alliance & Research (CEDAR). Further, it collaborates with UCLan Research Centre for Business, Management and Enterprise
Staff and Research Interests
Dr Panayiotis Kontakos: Sustainable international business and foreign investments, blue growth and entrepreneurship, sustainable banking, circular business models.
Dr Ioanna Stylianou: Econometrics and macroeconomics with emphasis on the implications of model uncertainty on economic growth, growth volatility and employment volatility.
Dr Christiana Anaxagorou: Political economy and development economics with a focus on foreign aid allocation and its effects on economic growth and public finance.
Dr Maria Zeniou: Collaborative learning and knowledge creation, pedagogic design for authentic and creative learning, innovation technologies, professional development and mindful leadership.
Dr Christos Anagnostopoulos: social responsibility of and through sport; responsible sport governance.
PhD Students: Daniela Amura.
Associate Faculty: Dr Hussein Abdou, Dr Philip Kostov, UCLan UK
Research Associates (scholars and professionals): Dr Virginia Zhelyazkova, VUZF University Bulgaria, Mr Marios Papageorgiou, Enalia Physis Cyprus, Dr Ganesh Nathan, FHNW Switzerland.