BA in Philology (Belarus State University, 2003); MA in TESOL (St Clements University, 2005), MA in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2008), PhD in Linguistics (University of Cyprus, 2014), PGCert in Higher Education Teaching and Learning (University of Central Lancashire, 2014), Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, HRDA Certified Educator for Vocational Training and Executive Courses (University of Central Lancashire, 2014).
Lecturer in Linguistics
Tel: +357 (0) 357 24 694104
Applied and theoretical linguistics; Syntax and semantics; First and second language acquisition; Bilingualism, multilingualism and dialect acquisition, Specific language impairment; Teaching, education and literacy.
Director of the UCLan Linguistics/Research Group, with the aim to promote research in the area of linguistics and TESOL, particularly first and second language acquisition, theoretical and applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, education, teaching methods and approaches, to discuss future and on-going research projects.
Member of the University’s Health and Safety Committee, UCLan, Cyprus.
Member of the University’s Research Knowledge Transfer Committee, UCLan, Cyprus.
Member of the University’s Student Experience Committee, UCLan, Cyprus.
Teaching and course leadership
- Course Leader of MA in TESOL with Applied Linguistics, UCLan, Cyprus.
- Deputy Course Leader, BA in English Language Studies, UCLan, Cyprus.
- Teaching and Learning Lead, School of Business and Management.
- Research Seminars Coordinator for UCLan, Cyprus, Research/Linguistics Group series, School of Business & Management, Division of Education and Linguistics Seminar Series
- Module Leader for EB4505: Dissertation (Year-long), MA in TESOL, postgraduate course; EB4511: Student Initiated Module, MA in TESOL, postgraduate course; EB4503: Second Language Acquisition, MA in TESOL, postgraduate course; LG1102: Introduction to Language and Linguistics, BA in English Studies; EB3602 Teaching Practicum (Year-long), MA in TESOL, postgraduate course; AL1109: Beginners: Russian Language and Culture (Year-long) Module Leader, undergraduate course.
Recent Publications (Books)
- Karpava, Sviatlana (2015). Vulnerable Domains in for Cross-Linguistic Influence in L2 Acquisition of Greek. Inquiries in Language Learning 16, edited by Christiana Bongartz and Jutta Rymarczyk. Peter Lang: Frankfurt am Main.
Recent Publications (Articles & Chapters in edited books)
- Karpava, Sviatlana (2015). L3 acquisition of English Present Perfect. In A. Botinis (Ed.), Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of Experimental Linguistics, ExLing 2015, 26-27 of June 2015, Athens, Greece, pp. 25-29.
- Karpava, Sviatlana and Kleanthes K. Grohmann. 2014. Object Clitic Placement in Cypriot Greek: A Comparative Study from Russian–Cypriot Greek Speakers. In Kleanthes K. Grohmann and Theoni Neokleous (eds.), Developments in the Acquisition of Clitics. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 87-138.
- Karpava, Sviatlana and Kleanthes K. Grohmann. 2013. Embedded Aspect in L2 Acquisition: Evidence from L1 Russian Learners of Greek. Journal of Portuguese Linguistics 12.1, 121–144.
- Karpava, Sviatlana and Georgia Agouraki. 2013. L2 Acquisition of English Present Perfect Interpretations. Journal of Portuguese Linguistics 12.1, 121–144.
- Karpava, Sviatlana and Kleanthes K. Grohmann. 2013. Aspectual Distinctions in Bilingual Russian–Cypriot Greek Children. In Mark Janse, Brian D. Joseph & Angela Ralli (eds.), Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Modern Greek Dialects and Linguistic Theory (Ghent, Belgium: 20–22 September 2012). Patras: University of Patras.
- Karpava, Sviatlana and Kleanthes K. Grohmann. 2013. Greek Embedded Aspect in Child and Adult L2/L3 Acquisition. In Nikolaos Lavidas, Areti Sougari, Thomaï Alexiou, Vicky Papachristou, & Eirini Kelmali (eds.), Selected Papers from the 20th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics — Thessaloniki, 1–3 April 2011. Warsaw: Versita.
- Sviatlana Karpava, Kleanthes K. Grohmann and Konstantinos Fokianos. 2012. Aspect in the L2 and L3 Acquisition of Greek. In D. Gabrys´-Barker (ed.), Cross-linguistic Influences in Multilingual Language Acquisition, Second Language Learning and Teaching. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Sviatlana Karpava. 2012. Aspect of the Embedded Verbs in L2 Acquisition: Evidence from L1 Russian Learners of Cypriot Greek. In Kleanthes K. Grohmann, Elena Shelkovaya and Dionysios Zoumbalides (eds.), Linguists of Tomorrow: Selected Papers from the 1st Cyprus Postgraduate Conference in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Current Research Projects/ Work in Progress
- Karpava, Sviatlana. L2 acquisition of Greek Determiners. Language Acquisition. [to be re-submitted for a second review round]
- Karpava, Sviatlana. L2 acquisition of Greek morphological agreement. International Journal of Bilingualism. [to be re-submitted for a second review round]
- Karpava, Sviatlana. L2 acquisition of Greek Clitics. Second Language Research [to be re-submitted for a second review round]
- Karpava, Sviatlana (under review). Second language acquisition in bi-dialectal setting. International Conference Sociocultural Competence and Language Learning in Multilingual Settings. Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 18-19 September 2014. A special volume, a selection of papers, published by an international publisher.
- Karpava, Sviatlana (under review). Anaphora Resolution in Russian and Greek by Bilingual Children, Workshop “Linguistic and Cognitive Effects in Anaphora Resolution” May 15-16, 2015, at the Research Dissemination Center, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. LFAB series (https://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/lfab/volumes)
- Karpava, Sviatlana (in progress). Linguistic Profile of Simultaneous Bilinguals in Cyprus. Selected papers of the 22nd International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, Aristotle University Research Dissemination Centre, Thessaloniki, 24 – 26th of April, 2015
- Karpava, Sviatlana; Kambanaros, Maria and Kleanthes Grohmann (in progress). The MAIN View from Cyprus: Tracing Narrative Abilities in Bilingual Children. Bi-SLI 2015 Bilingualism and Specific Language Impairment. François Rabelais University, Tours, France, July 2-3, 2015 [with Maria Kambanaros and Kleanthes Grohmann] in "Bilingualism and Specific Language Impairment: Selected proceedings of Bi-SLI 2015" “Studies in bilingualism” series John Benjamins.
- Karpava, Sviatlana; Kambanaros, Maria and Kleanthes Grohmann (in progress). The MAIN of Narrative Performance: Russian–Greek Bilingual Children in Cyprus. Selected papers of the International Symposium of Monolingual and Bilingual Speech 2015 (ISMBS 2015), 7-10 September 2015 in Chania, Crete, Greece.
- Karpava, Sviatlana (in progress). Object clitic production by Russian-Cypriot Greek Bilingual Children, Selected papers of EUROSLA 25, the 25th Annual Conference of the European Second Language Association, Aix-en-Provence, 27-29 August 2015, UMR 7309 Laboratoire Parole et Langage (Aix-Marseille Université and CNRS), in association with the Département de français langue étrangère (Pôle LLC, UFR ALLSHS, Aix-Marseille Université).
Full CV (right -click to download)