Dr Alexandros I. Nikolaidis
ASSOCIATE LECTURER IN ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING
PhD Electrical Engineering (University of Cyprus, 2017)
MSc Energy Technologies and Sustainable Design (University of Cyprus, 2012)
MEng Electrical & Computer Engineering (Democritus University of Thrace, Greece, 2010)
Research Associate, PSM Lab, University of Cyprus (2012 – present)
Teaching Assistant, University of Cyprus (2012-2017)
- Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK)
- Power system economics
- Energy policy
- Electricity markets
- Engineering Cost/Benefit Analysis and Risk Management of Renewable Energy Penetration
- Retail tariff design under increased Renewable Energy Penetration
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
- Power systems (Module tutor)
Journal Publications (peer-reviewed):
- A.I. Nikolaidis and C.A. Charalambous, “Hidden Cross-subsidies of Net Energy Metering Practice: Energy Distribution Losses Reallocation due to Prosumers’ and Storsumers’ Integration,” IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol.11, no. 9, 2017.
- A.I. Nikolaidis and C.A. Charalambous, “Hidden Financial Implications of the Net Energy Metering Practice in an Isolated Power System: Critical Review and Policy Insights,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 77, pp. 706-717, 2017.
- A.I. Nikolaidis, I. Koumparou, G. Makrides, V. Efthymiou, G.E. Georghiou and C. A. Charalambous, “’Reliable integration of a concentrating solar power plant in a small isolated system through an appropriately-sized battery energy storage system,” IET Renewable Power Generation, January 2016, DOI: 10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0337.
- A.I. Nikolaidis, A. Milidonis and C. A. Charalambous, “Impact of Fuel-Dependent Electricity Retail Charges on the Savings Value of Net-Metered PV Applications in Vertically Integrated Systems”. Energy Policy, 2015, DOI:10.1016/j.enpol.2015.01.010.
- C.A. Charalambous, A Milidonis, A. Lazari and A.I. Nikolaidis, “Loss Evaluation and Total Ownership Cost of Power Transformers—Part I: A Comprehensive Method,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1870–1880, July 2013.
- A.I. Nikolaidis, F.G. Longatt and C.A. Charalambous, “Indices to Assess the Integration of Renewable Energy Resources on Transmission Systems,” Journal of Conference Papers in Energy, vol. 2013, Article ID 324562, 8 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/324562, July 2013. (*selected for journal publication – best papers of POEM 2012 Conference).
Conference Publications (peer-reviewed):
- A.I. Nikolaidis, M. Panteli and C.A. Charalambous, “Distribution Loss Factors for the Emerging, Open-Access Electricity Market of Cyprus, in Proc. IEEE PowerTech 2017, Manchester, UK.
- M. Panteli, A.I. Nikolaidis, Y. Zhou, F.R. Wood, S. Glynn, C.A. Charalambous, and P. Mancarella, “Analyzing the Resilience and Flexibility of Power Systems to Future Demand and Supply Scenarios”, in Proc. IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference (MELECON), 18-20 April, 2016, Limassol, Cyprus.
- A.I. Nikolaidis and C. A. Charalambous, “A Critical Analysis of the Net Metering Practice in Cyprus”, in Proc. IEEE Energy Conference (ENERGYCON 2016), 4-8 April 2016, Leuven, Belgium.
- A.I. Nikolaidis and C. A. Charalambous, “Action Steps for Refining the Cyprus National Action Plan on RES Penetration for Electricity Generation- should we reconsider?”, in Proc. Power Options for the Eastern Mediterranean Region Conference (POEM 2013), 7-8 October 2013, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Project Title: Analysis of the Present and Future Power Distribution System in Cyprus (GRID30)
– Funding Agency: Joint Research Centre, European Commission, July 2015–Feb. 2016.
- Project Title: Engineering a Socio-Intelligent Class of Energy Users
– Funding Agency: University of Cyprus Grant “New Researchers” to support PhD Candidates (Awarded to C.A. Charalambous andAlexandros I. Nikolaidis), Feb. 2015–Nov. 2015, €12,000 (Euros).
- Project Title: Identifying The Hidden Costs of Net Metering Practices and Extrapolating Their Impact on Losses Cost and Benefit Allocation (HIDNET)
– Funding Agency: Distribution System Operator (DSO), Cyprus, Jan. 2015–Apr. 2016, ~€40,000 (Euros).
- Project Title: Evaluation and Derivation of Distribution Loss Factors for the Emerging Electricity Market Rules in Cyprus (EAC-DLF)
– Funding Agency: Distribution System Operator (DSO), Cyprus, Sep. 2016–Dec. 2017, ~€35,000 (Euros).
- Helios Project, Funded by Green+ NER 300 (EC, EIB, CY), Nicosia, Cyprus, October 2014”
“Helios Solar Power Plant Integration in Cyprus Power System”