Research is fundamental to enabling us to provide real-word solutions and opportunities that have an impact on society. We have a growing and vibrant community of innovative academics who nurture our postgraduate students and early-career researchers, producing high quality international and world-leading research that addresses today’s challenges.
If you’re looking to undertake a research degree, please seek an initial consultation with our faculty / Head of the School. Academic contact details can be found here: https://www.uclancyprus.ac.cy/academic-staff/
After the initial consultation with the appropriate UCLan Cyprus academic please follow the below link to complete your application form:
UCLan PhD Research Scholarships for UCLan Cyprus
Following the University’s announcement in July of ten scholarships being offered by UCLan UK for full-time PhD programmes (via MPhil), whereby scholars would start their research studies in September and be based at UCLan Cyprus; we are happy to re-announce that three of these scholarships will be offered to scholars for a January start. As UCLan UK ‘off campus’ registered research scholars, students will receive supervision and training predominantly at the Cyprus campus, but their projects will also enjoy support from UCLan UK. The PhD scholarships will be sponsored by UCLan UK therefore the awards will be from UCLan UK.
The scholarships are for full time study tenable for three years and open only to permanent residents in the Republic of Cyprus and to EU Nationals. The scholarships will cover tuition fees, but scholars may be required to pay towards a trip in the early years, to engage with faculty at the University of Central Lancashire, in Preston-UK.
As a minimum requirement, applicants must have a recognised first degree at second class honours or above; or a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification and fluency in the English language equivalent to IELTS 7.0. (PhD scholarships normally require at least an upper second-class honour first degree).
Applicants must not be in full time employment during the full time PhD studies, and must be resident in Cyprus during the period of study. Normally, successful applicants will be given the opportunity to assist in teaching at undergraduate level at the Cyprus campus and be supported with pedagogic professional development opportunities as part of their studies and career development. Where teaching is undertaken, the number of class contact teaching hours offered to each scholar will be up to a maximum of six  per week during term time.
As the PhD research scholars progress with their research, they will be coached on how to build a portfolio of activities, i.e. co-deliver UG teaching, offer tutorials, supervise lab, support research bids; and to develop essential faculty skills so that they can possibly apply to join the ranks of faculty. As early career researchers and associate lecturers-tutors they will be given opportunities to develop some income via part-time Academic activities.
Applications are invited in the following thematic areas; interdisciplinary topics will also be considered:
- Entrepreneurial Management: Circular economics and innovation models; creative advertising and niche marketing.
- Innovations in the Hospitality Management; Eco-agro food and beverage ventures.
- New innovation models in Blended Distance Learning Education.
- Educational Technologies in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Education: Design and Development of Multimedia educational tools and Educational Software/Games, E-learning Innovative Technologies, Gamification in STEM education, Computer Science Education.
- Signal processing of speech, facial expressions and gestures for user traits recognition (including the recognition of physical and mental health conditions, as well as personality traits).
- Law, Business and financial regulatory frameworks; Legal structures for growing innovative ventures.
- Law and Emerging Technologies: Privacy and Human Rights; Human Computer interaction; Artificial Intelligence; Big Data; Cyberlaw.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed during late November. PhD studies can only commence once the candidate’s proposal is approved by the registration committee of UCLan UK. Following approval, the successful candidates will be formally registered to begin their PhD study on 11th January 2021.
It is important to enclose all the below requested information so the University can make a decision on your application. We reserve the right to request sight of original certificates or further information.
- The application form including a research proposal.
- Copies of your first degree/master’s degree qualification certificates and transcripts with certified translations where applicable.
- If you are waiting for your award, please advise when it will be conferred.
- A copy of your current passport or identification card.
- Where English is not your first language, evidence is required of your English language qualification at IELTS 7.0. IELTS certificate must be dated to within 2 years of your intended programme start date.
- Two academic references (You must send the reference form to your academic referees, who in turn must send their completed reference form to the email address on the reference form, from their personal email accounts.
Notes for guidelines for completion of the application form can be found here.
All enquiries and applications are to be submitted electronically to
before the application deadline of Wednesday 11th November 2020.