Dr Irina Lokhtina
LECTURER IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP & DEPUTY COURSE LEADER OF BA (HONS) BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
PhD in Social Sciences (University of Leicester, School of Management, 2015)
MA in Management in Organisations (Baltic Academy of Tourism and Entrepreneurship, 2007)
PGCert in Business Leadership and Management (Saint Petersburg State University, 2005)
BSc, MSc (with distinction) Social Psychology (Saint Petersburg State University, 2004)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2015)
Lecturer in Human Resource Management and Leadership, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (09/2017- present)
Associate Lecturer in Business and Management, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus (2015-2017)
Research Associate, University of Central Lancashire, Cyprus – School of Business and Management / CEDAR (2015-2016)
Visiting Scholar, Newman University, Birmingham, UK (2015)
Lecturer, Senior Lecturer in Business Management, Human Resource Management, private colleges _ Cyprus (2007-2015)
Teaching Assistant, Saint-Petersburg State University (2005-2007)
Postgraduate Research Associate, Saint-Petersburg State University (2004-2008)
- Convener of the International Research Network ‘Working Life and Learning’
- Higher Educational Academy
- European Society for Research of the Education of Adults
- European Academy of Management
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction
- International Research Group on Researcher Education and Careers
My research projects are in the domain of human resource management. More specifically, my research interests lie in the sociology of work and include workplace learning, changing patterns of work; mentoring; career support; academic identity and professional development.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Deputy Course Leader, BA (Hons) Business Administration
Current Teaching Experience:
- Undergraduate Modules: Managing Personnel and Human Resources (Module Leader); Managing People Enterprise Skills (Module Leader); Business in Context (Module Leader); Planning Your Career (Module Tutor); Management Development in Tourism, Hospitality and Events (Module Tutor); Introduction to Business Functions (Module Tutor); The Business Environment (Module Leader)
- Postgraduate Modules: Managing People (MBA) (Module Leader); Management and Organizations (Module Leader); Management learning and Research (MBA online) (Module Tutor)
Previous Teaching Experience:
- Undergraduate Modules: Management in Context (Module Leader); Debating Cases in Applied Ethics (Module Leader); Business Relationships (Module Tutor); Principles of Management; Organizational Behaviour; Strategic Management
- Postgraduate Modules: Human Resource Management (MBA online) (Module Leader); Management Development in Tourism, Hospitality and Events (Module Tutor); Contemporary Marketing and Communications Issues (Module Tutor); Strategic Marketing Management (Module Tutor); Psychology of Marketing and PR; Organisational Psychology
- Member of the Erasmus Committee (2019-present)
- Member of the Health and Safety Committee (2019 – present)
- Student Advisor (2015-2016)
- Co-organiser of research seminar series, School of Business and Management / CEDAR (2015-2016)
- Co-organiser of series on practitioners’ perspectives, School of Business and Management / CEDAR (2015-2016)
- Lokhtina, I., Löfström, E., Cornér, S., & Castelló, M. (2020). In pursuit of sustainable co-authorship practices in doctoral supervision: Addressing the challenges of writing, authorial identity and integrity, Innovations in Education and Teaching International,
(ABS 2*), https://doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2020.1799839
- Lokhtina, I. (2018). Gaining legitimacy: mentoring as an avenue to navigate the transition into a new academic workplace, Journal for the Study of Education and Development, 41(3). ISSN 0210-3702.
- James, N. & Lokhtina, I. (2018). Feeling on the periphery? The challenge of supporting academic development and identity through communities of practice, Studies in the Education of Adults, 50(1). ISSN 0266-0830.
- Kkese, E. & Lokhtina, I. (2017). Insights into the Cypriot-Greek attitudes toward multilingualism and multiculturalism in Cyprus, Journal of Mediterranean Studies, 26(2).
- Lokhtina, I. (2017). The 70:20:10 model – how to double workplace learning opportunities, The Journal of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus, 129, December.
- Lokhtina, I. (2016). Promoting academics’ development in multiple communities through creating an ‘expansive’ workplace learning environment (Cypriot case study) in the Proceedings of the Standing Conference on Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults.
- Boeren, E., Lokhtina-Antoniou, I., Sakurai, Y., Herman, C., & McAlpine L. (2015). Mentoring: a review of Early Career Researcher studies, Frontline Learning Research Journal, 3(3), Special Issue.
- Lokhtina, I. (2015). From corporate culture to business strategy: what works, for whom and under what circumstances, The Journal of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus, 119, June.
- Lokhtina, I. (2014). Employment in the accounting profession: do not miss out on how to deal with work-related stress, The Journal of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus, 114, March.
- Lokhtina, I. (2013). Deciding on the best suited approach to the demands of a modern workplace: critical insights into the role of knowledge management and learning, Cyprus International Journal of Management, 18(1).
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- 18h Biennial Conference of European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Germany, 2019. ‘Doing insider research in academic workplaces: taking a reflexive stance towards its main ethical challenges’
- International research seminar ‘(Post) Academic Careers: PhD graduates and Employability in- and outside Academia’, VU University, Amsterdam, 2019. ‘Early academic career development: working to learn and learning to work’
- Conference of the International Research Group on Researcher Education and Careers, Denmark, 2018. ‘Unpacking and exploring researcher commination: implications for inquiry into ECR experience’
- 17th Biennial Conference of European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Finland, 2017. ‘Rethinking researcher competitive identity at the crossroads of education, business and economy’
- The Standing Conference on Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults, UK, 2016. ‘Promoting academics’ development in multiple communities through creating an ‘expansive’ workplace learning environment (Cypriot case study)’
- 16th Biennial Conference of European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Cyprus, 2015. ‘Mentoring: a review of early career research studies’ – ‘Trends influencing researcher education and careers’ (co-authored)
- Conference of the International Research Group on Researcher Education and Careers, Spain, 2014. ‘Rethinking researcher education: How can we bridge pedagogical, communications and professional development communities?’
- Festival of Postgraduate Research, UK, 2014. ‘Academic Workplaces: how to advance a professional career when losing a shared vision for involvement and support’
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Case Study Research Competition 2018-19 (Lokhtina, I., Agapiou, N., Vargiu, P.) – €2,000 sponsored by UCLan Cyprus Rectorate
- Grant from the Klaus Jacobs Foundation, ‘The role of HRM in promoting learning at work and developing employee competitive identity’, Researcher, 2017
Supervision of Projects/PhDs (most recent)
MBA Dissertation: ‘Person-Job Fit and its effect on job satisfaction and job performance in the Cyprus Police’
MBA Dissertation: ‘How does the perceived level of familiness affect successor organizational commitment?’
MBA (DL) Dissertation: ‘Role of perceived organizational support and training & development on turnover intentions with mediating role of organisational commitment’
MBA Dissertation: ‘Employee well-being as an indicator of employee engagement in a higher education institution’
Consultancy and CPD Training
- HRDA Certified Trainer
- Assistant Consultant, ‘HR Easy Learning’, Cyprus
- Business Trainer, ‘Russian-Swedish Consulting Group’, Russia
- Best Poster Award, University of Leicester, UK, 2014
- Conference Travel and Accommodation Grant, University of Leicester, UK, 2014
- Travel and Accommodation Grant, Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus, Cyprus Chamber of Commerce, 2009
- Award for Academic Excellence, Saint Petersburg State University, 2004
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- HRDA training course: ‘Human Resource Essentials for non-HR managers’
- Workshop – ‘The changing world of marketing: social conformity and advertising’, English Quest Summer Programmes, organised by UCLan Cyprus, July 2018.
- Workshop – “The voice of Russian University: powered by tradition and expertise’ delivered to academics of the RANEPA University, Russia, 7-17th of February 2017.
- Verified Reviewer of Journal of Further and Higher Education and Sage Open
- Reviewer of Conference Papers for European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction and Junior Researchers of European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction
- Reviewer of Conference Papers for European Academy of Management
- Knowledge transfer initiatives – University of Cyprus (2013)
- Mentor – in association with the ICAEW – Student Recruitment Team on Career Events