Dr Kalypso Iordanou
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN PSYCHOLOGY, DEPUTY HEAD OF THE SCHOOL OF SCIENCES AND COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) PSYCHOLOGY
+357 24 694087
Ph.D. in Psychology (Columbia University, New York, USA, 2008)
M. Phil., (Columbia University, New York, USA, 2007)
M.Ed., (Columbia University, New York, USA, 2005)
BSc Education (University of Cyprus, 2001)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2021
Argumentation & Epistemic Beliefs
Associate Professor in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2018 – present)
Assistant Professor in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2015 – 2018)
Adjunct Faculty, Open University of Cyprus (2014 – 2017)
Lecturer in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2013 – 2015)
Lecturer in Psychology, Neapolis University (2010 – 2013)
Post-doctoral Scientist, University of Cyprus (2008 – 2010)
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
- The American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- The European Science Education Research Association (ESERA)
Argumentation; development of thinking skills; thinking skills in digital society; discourse; using technology to support cognitive and metacognitive development, belief change, ethical challenges and social influence of emerging technologies
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BSc (Hons) Psychology (2013 – 2015; 2018 – present)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: PS3900: Psychology Final Year Project, PS3050: Applying Psychology to the Educational Setting, PS2020: Social and Developmental Psychology II, PS2010: Psychological Research 1: Design and Quantitative Methods, PS1045: Current Topics in Psychology II, PS1040: Current Topics in Psychology I, PS1720: Understanding Behaviour.
- Deputy Head of the School of Science (2019 – present)
- Chair of the UCLan Cyprus Ethics Committee (2018 – present)
- Co-founder and Director of the UCLan Cyprus Cognition and Development Lab
- Chair, Research and Innovation Mentoring Team (RIEMT) (2018 – present)
- Coordinator of the PhD student induction programme at UCLan Cyprus (2018 -present)
- Member of the School of Science Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (2019 – present)
- Member of the UCLan Course Planning Committee (2019 – present)
- Member of the UCLan Committee for Ethics and Integrity (2020 – present)
- Kuhn, D. & Iordanou, K. (in press). Why do people argue past one another rather than with one another? In D. Dunning & N. Ballantyne. Reason, Bias, and Inquiry: New Perspectives from the Crossroads of Epistemology and Psychology. Oxford University Press.
- Iordanou, K., & Rapanta, C. (2021). “Argue with me”: A method for developing argument skills. Frontiers in Psychology, 12.
- Hendriks, F., Mayweg-Paus, E., Felton, M., Iordanou, K., Jucks, R., & Zimmermann, M. (2020). Constraints and affordances of online engagement with scientific information—A Literature review. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 3458.
- Iordanou, K. & Kuhn, D. (2020). Contemplating the Opposition: Does a Personal Touch Matter? Discourse Processes. 57(4), 343-359. DOI:10.1080/0163853X.2019.1701918
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., Michalinos, Z. (2020). Examining My-Side Bias During and After Reading Controversial Historical Accounts. Metacognition & Learning.
- Baytelman, A., Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. (2020). Epistemic beliefs and prior knowledge as predictors of the construction of different types of arguments on socio-scientific issues. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 57(8), 1199-1227.
- Lytzerinou, E., & Iordanou, K. (2020). Teachers’ ability to construct arguments, but not their perceived self-efficacy of teaching, predicts their ability to evaluate arguments. International Journal of Science Education, 42(4), 617-634.
- Iordanou, K., Kuhn, D., Flora Matos, Yuchen Shi, & Laura Hemberger. (2019). Learning by Arguing. Learning and Instruction. 63, 101-207.
- Ioannou, K., & Iordanou, K. (2019). Elementary school students’ epistemic perspective and learning strategies in history. Learning: Research and Practice, 1-17.
- Iordanou, K. (2019). Involving Patients in Research? Responsible research and innovation in European Healthcare SMEs. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare 28(1), 144-152.
- Iordanou, K., Muis, K. R., & Kendeou, P. (2019). Epistemic perspective and online epistemic processing of evidence: Developmental and domain differences. The Journal of Experimental Education, 87(4), 531-551.
- Iordanou, K. (2016). From theory of mind to epistemic cognition. A Lifespan perspective. Frontline Learning Research, 4(5), 106 – 119.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou., P., & Beker, K. (2016). Argumentative Reasoning. In W. Sandoval, J. Greene, & I., Bråten. (Eds). Handbook of Epistemic Cognition. Routledge.
- Iordanou, K. (2016). Developing Epistemological understanding through argumentation in scientific and social domains. Special Issue: Learning through Argumentation: How arguing about scientific information contributes to learning. Zeitschrift für Pädagogische Psychologie.
- Iordanou, K. & Constantinou. C. P. (2015). Supporting use of evidence in argumentation through practice in argumentation and reflection in the context of SOCRATES learning environment. Science Education. 99, 282–311.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2014). Developing pre-service teachers’ evidence-based argumentation skills on socio-scientific issues. Learning and Instruction, 34, 42-57.
- Iordanou, K. (2013). Developing face-to-face argumentation skills: Does arguing on the computer help? Journal of Cognition and Development, 14(2), 292-320.
- Iordanou, K. (2010). Developing argument skills across scientific and social domains. Journal of Cognition and Development, 11(3), 293-327.
- Kuhn, D., Goh, W., Iordanou, K., & Shaenfield, D. (2008). Arguing on the Computer: A Microgenetic Study of Developing Argument Skills in a Computer-Supported Environment. Child Development, 79(1), 233-234.
- Kuhn, D., Iordanou, K., Pease, M., & Wirkala, C. (2008). Beyond control of variables: What needs to develop to achieve skilled scientific thinking? Cognitive Development, 23, 435–451.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Iordanou, K., & Laulhe Shaelou, S. (2020, Dec 18). SHERPA (Shaping the ethical dimensions of smart information systems– a European perspective). 5th Innovation & Entrepreneurship Forum (IEF2020): “The Challenge of AI”, UCY, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Iordanou, K., Fotiou, C., Demetriou, C., & Papandreou, M. (2019). Supporting students’ writing skills and views on immigration through argumentation in the classroom. 3rd International Conference: Literacy and Contemporary Society: Identities, Texts, Institutions, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (August, 2019). Contemplating the Opposition. ESERA 2019, Bologna, Italy.
- Iordanou, K. (August, 2019). Discussion in the Symposium “Argumentation as an Epistemic Practice”, ESERA 2019, Bologna, Italy.
- Lytzerinou, K., & Iordanou, K. (August, 2019). Examining Science and Non-Science Teachers’ Skills for Constructing Arguments, Evaluating Arguments and Their Perceived Self-Efficacy of Teaching Argumentation. ESERA 2019, Bologna, Italy.
- Iordanou, K. (August, 2019). Supporting Comprehension of Multiple Texts through Engagement in Dialogic Argumentation, EARLI 2019, Aachen, Germany.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (2019). Learning by arguing, EARLI 2019, Aachen, Germany.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (April, 2018). Supporting students’ ability to argue from evidence: Comparing encountering evidence in text vs. short Q&A format AERA, New York, USA.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (2018). Supporting Evidence use and Knowledge Acquisition through Engagement in Argumentation. EARLI SIG 26. Jerusalem, Israel.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (August, 2017). The effect of an argumentive-based intervention on how learners deal with disagreement, EARLI 2017, Tampere, Finland.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (2017). Examining Collaborative and Adversarial Argumentation on the Computer in Supporting Students’ Ability to Construct Evidence-based Arguments. EISTA 2017, Florida, US.
- Iordanou, K. & Goh, W. (June, 2016). Developing Argument Skills through the SOCRATES Learning Environment, International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS), Singapore.
- Iordanou, K. (2015). Supporting appreciation of evidence through argumentation in the social and science domains. In Iordanou, K. (Chair). Contextual factors in using and understanding evidence, Symposium, 16th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., Zembylas, M. (2015). The effect of epistemic beliefs and emotions in the reading of a controversial historical account. In Chinn, C. (Chair). Epistemic Emotions: Examining their causes and role when processing controversial information, Symposium, 16th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., & Muis, K. (2014, August). Epistemic understanding and meta-level processing of evidence when reading a text. Paper presented at the EARLI SIG2 conference. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., & Muis, K. (2013). Epistemological Understanding and Metacognitive Processing in Science and Social Domains. 43th Annual Meeting of the Jean Piaget Society, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2013). Promoting students’ evidence-based argumentation skills. A comparison of a dialogic argumentation vs. a non-dialogic intervention. ESERA, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2013). Developing Pre-Service Teachers’ Evidence-Based Argumentation skills on Socio-Scientific Issues. EARLI, Munich, Germany.
- Iordanou, K. & Constantinou, C. P. (2009). Exploring Possible Connections between Adolescents’ Epistemological Understanding, Argumentation and Decision Making Skills. Presented at the 30th Annual Conference of the Society of Judgment and Decision Making, Psychonomic Society, Boston, MA.
- Iordanou, K. & Kuhn, D. (2009). Arguing on the Computer in Scientific and Non-Scientific Domains. Paper presented at the 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, University of Aegean, Rhodes, Greece.
- Iordanou, K. (2009). Developing epistemological understanding in scientific and social domains. Paper presented at the 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Constantinou, C. P., & Michael, G. (2009). Interaction between researchers and teachers in a collaborative design for promoting argumentation skills in a Socio-scientific issue. Paper presented at the 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Michael, G., &. Constantinou, C. P. (2009). Inquiry, Reflection and Collaboration in web-based learning environments on Socio-Scientific issues: Examples from three countries. Paper presented at the biannual conference of the European Science Education Research Association, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Iordanou, K. (2005). Epistemological Understanding and Intellectual Values in Greek-Cypriots. 11th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction. University of Cyprus.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- RPF Restart. Excellence Hubs: ARE-PRED. Budget: 149,960. (PI) 2020 – 2023.
- European Commission, HORIZO2020, Swafs-22-2017. Title: Shaping the ethical dimensions of smart information systems– a European perspective (SHERPA). Budget: 3 million (UCLan Cyprus: € 327,963.75). (Researcher) 2018 – 2021.
- Research Promotion Foundation. Title: Developing argument skills and epistemic cognition in different domains. Budget: 35,000 euros, (PI) 2016 – 2018.
- United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Title: Epistemic Cognition and Metacognition (PI) 2016 – 2017.
- COST Action CA15212 Citizen Science to Promote Creativity, Scientific Literacy, and Innovation Throughout Europe. Position in Project: Cyprus Representative, Member of Management Committee (MC), 2016 – 2020.
- Horizon 2020, Title: COMPASS. Evidence and Opportunities for Responsible Innovation in SMEs. Budget: €1,499,945.63, (Researcher) 2016 – 2019.
- Cyprus Fulbright Commission, Title: The Effect of Epistemological Beliefs and Bi-Communal Interaction on Prejudice (Myside Bias) in Cyprus. Budget: $4200. (PI), 2013 – 2014.
- University of Cyprus Research Program Grants, 8037P-16019. Collaborator, Title: Comprehension of Argumentative Text and the Evaluation of Arguments, 2010 – 2012.
- Research Promotion Foundation. Title: A Web based Learning Environment for Promoting Students’ Argumentation Skills and Epistemological Understanding Across Scientific and Social Domains. Budget: €134 841. (PI) 2008 – 2010.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- D. T. (PhD) (2018 – Present)
- C. Z. (PhD) (2017 – Present)
- A. Z. (PhD) PSD. (2017 – Present)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Fulbright Award. J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2017
- Outreach Lecturing Fund Award. United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2017
- Cyprus Research Award – Young Researcher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiYwfL8T1w , Research Promotion Foundation, 2015
- Cyprus Fulbright Alumni Small Grants Award, 2013
- Theodore & Wally Lappas Award (2005, 2006 & 2007)
- Teachers College, Columbia University, International Scholarship (2007)
- Teachers College, Columbia University, General Scholarship (2005)
- CASP Scholarship, US Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (2003 – 2005)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- External Reviewer. H2020-Marie Skłodowska-Curie Programme (LEaDing Fellows programme).
- Member of Evaluation Committee for Psychology programmes in three universities in Lithuania, Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (SKVC) (2017).
- Member of the Cyprus National Bioethics Committee: The Review Bioethics Committee for Biomedical Research on Human Beings (1/12/2015 – 2018).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the (EARLI) journal Frontline Learning Research. (2015-present).
- Representative of Cyprus in the Management Committee of the COST Action “Citizen Science to Promote Creativity, Scientific Literacy, and Innovation Throughout Europe”, funded by the European Commission.
- Co-Chair of the strand “Discourse and Argumentation in Science Education”, ESERA Conference (2013; 2019; 2021).
- Scientific Advisor. Project TechYourFuture: Working together towards Scientific Citizenship, 2015.
- Visiting Editor. Sage Open Journal, 2018.