Dr Kalypso Iordanou
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN PSYCHOLOGY AND COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) PSYCHOLOGY
+357 24 69 40 87
Ph.D. Educational Psychology (Columbia University, New York, USA, 2008)
M.Ed., M. Phil., (Columbia University, NY, USA, 2007)
BA Education (University of Cyprus, 2001)
Assistant Professor in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2015-present)
Fulbright Visiting Faculty, Columbia University, New York, USA (Spring, Summer 2017)
Adjunct Faculty, Open University of Cyprus (2014-2017)
Lecturer in Psychology, UCLan Cyprus (2013-2015)
Lecturer in Psychology, Neapolis University (2010-2013)
Post-doctoral Scientist, University of Cyprus (2008-2010)
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
Cognitive development and educational implications. Argument Skills, Epistemic Cognition, Scientific Thinking and Metacognition.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BSc (Hons) Psychology (2013-2015)
- Module Leader of several psychology modules: PS3900: Psychology Third Year Project, PS3050: Applying Psychology to the Educational Setting, PS2020: Social and Developmental Psychology II, PS2010: Psychological Research 1: Design and Quantitative Methods, PS1045: Current Topics in Psychology II, PS1040: Current Topics in Psychology I, PS1720: Understanding Behaviour, PS1000: Introduction to Psychological Inquiry, PS1100: Social and Developmental Psychology, PS1500: Current Topics in Psychology.
- Co-founder and Director of the UCLan Cyprus Cognition and Development Lab
- Chair, Research and Innovation Mentoring Team (RIMT)
- Co-Chair, UCLan Cyprus Ethics Committee
- Member of the Research and Innovation Committee (2014-present)
- Member of the Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee (2015-2017)
- Iordanou, K. (2016). From theory of mind to epistemic cognition. A Lifespan perspective. Frontline Learning Research, 4(5), 106 – 119.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou., P., & Beker, K. (2016). Argumentative Reasoning. In W. Sandoval, J. Greene, & I., Bråten. (Eds). Handbook of Epistemic Cognition. Routledge.
- Iordanou, K. (2016). Developing Epistemological understanding through argumentation in scientific and social domains. Special Issue: Learning through Argumentation: How arguing about scientific information contributes to learning. Zeitschrift für Pädagogische Psychologie.
- Iordanou, K. & Constantinou. C. P. (2015). Supporting use of evidence in argumentation through practice in argumentation and reflection in the context of SOCRATES learning environment. Science Education. 99, 282–311.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2014). Developing pre-service teachers’ evidence-based argumentation skills on socio-scientific issues. Learning and Instruction, 34, 42-57.
- Iordanou, K. (2013). Developing face-to-face argumentation skills: Does arguing on the computer help? Journal of Cognition and Development, 14(2), 292-320.
- Iordanou, K. (2010). Developing argument skills across scientific and social domains. Journal of Cognition and Development, 11(3), 293-327.
- Kuhn, D., Goh, W., Iordanou, K., & Shaenfield, D. (2008). Arguing on the Computer: A Microgenetic Study of Developing Argument Skills in a Computer-Supported Environment. Child Development, 79(1), 233-234.
- Kuhn, D., Iordanou, K., Pease, M., & Wirkala, C. (2008). Beyond control of variables: What needs to develop to achieve skilled scientific thinking? Cognitive Development, 23, 435–451.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (August, 2017). The effect of an argumentive-based intervention on how learners deal with disagreement, EARLI 2017, Tampere, Finland.
- Iordanou, K., & Kuhn, D. (2017). Examining Collaborative and Adversarial Argumentation on the Computer in Supporting Students’ Ability to Construct Evidence-based Arguments. EISTA 2017, Florida, US.
- Iordanou, K. & Goh, W. (June, 2016). Developing Argument Skills through the SOCRATES Learning Environment, International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS), Singapore.
- Iordanou, K. (2015). Supporting appreciation of evidence through argumentation in the social and science domains. In Iordanou, K. (Chair). Contextual factors in using and understanding evidence, Symposium, 16th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., Zembylas, M. (2015). The effect of epistemic beliefs and emotions in the reading of a controversial historical account. In Chinn, C. (Chair). Epistemic Emotions: Examining their causes and role when processing controversial information, Symposium, 16th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., & Muis, K. (2014, August). Epistemic understanding and meta-level processing of evidence when reading a text. Paper presented at the EARLI SIG2 conference. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Kendeou, P., & Muis, K. (2013). Epistemological Understanding and Metacognitive Processing in Science and Social Domains. 43th Annual Meeting of the Jean Piaget Society, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2013). Promoting students’ evidence-based argumentation skills. A comparison of a dialogic argumentation vs. a non-dialogic intervention. ESERA, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Iordanou, K., & Constantinou, C. P. (2013). Developing Pre-Service Teachers’ Evidence-Based Argumentation skills on Socio-Scientific Issues. EARLI, Munich, Germany.
- Iordanou, K. & Constantinou, C. P. (2009). Exploring Possible Connections between Adolescents’ Epistemological Understanding, Argumentation and Decision Making Skills. Presented at the 30th Annual Conference of the Society of Judgment and Decision Making, Psychonomic Society, Boston, MA.
- Iordanou, K. & Kuhn, D. (2009). Arguing on the Computer in Scientific and Non-Scientific Domains. Paper presented at the 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, University of Aegean, Rhodes, Greece.
- Iordanou, K. (2009). Developing epistemological understanding in scientific and social domains. Paper presented at the 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Constantinou, C. P., & Michael, G. (2009). Interaction between researchers and teachers in a collaborative design for promoting argumentation skills in a Socio-scientific issue. Paper presented at the 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Iordanou, K., Michael, G., &. Constantinou, C. P. (2009). Inquiry, Reflection and Collaboration in web-based learning environments on Socio-Scientific issues: Examples from three countries. Paper presented at the biannual conference of the European Science Education Research Association, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Iordanou, K. (2005). Epistemological Understanding and Intellectual Values in Greek-Cypriots. 11th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction. University of Cyprus.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Research Promotion Foundation. Title: Developing argument skills and epistemic cognition in different domains (PI), Budget: 35,000 euros, 2016-18.
- Horizon 2020, Title: COMPASS. Evidence and Opportunities for Responsible Innovation in SMEs. Budget: €1,499,945.63, 2016-2019.
- Cyprus Fulbright Commission, Title: The Effect of Epistemological Beliefs and Bi-Communal Interaction on Prejudice (Myside Bias) in Cyprus, PI, $4200, 2013-2014.
- Research Promotion Foundation. Title: A Web based Learning Environment for Promoting Students’ Argumentation Skills and Epistemological Understanding Across Scientific and Social Domains. PI, Budget: €134 841, 2008-2010.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Christos Zenios (PhD): Investigating the effectiveness of dialogic argumentation for the prevention of bullying among students (2017-present).
- Andri Zeniou (PhD): PSD. (2017- present)
- Fulbright Award. J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2017
- Outreach Lecturing Fund Award. United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2017
- Cyprus Research Award – Young Researcher, Research Promotion Foundation, 2015
- Cyprus Fulbright Alumni Small Grants Award, 2013
- Theodore & Wally Lappas Award (2005, 2006 & 2007)
- Teachers College, Columbia University, International Scholarship (2007)
- Teachers College, Columbia University, General Scholarship (2005)
- CASP Scholarship, US Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (2003-2005)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of the Cyprus National Bioethics Committee: The Review Bioethics Committee for Biomedical Research on Human Beings (1/12/2015 – present)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the (EARLI) journal Frontline Learning Research. (2015-present)
- Representative of Cyprus in the Management Committee of the COST Action “Citizen Science to Promote Creativity, Scientific Literacy, and Innovation Throughout Europe”, funded by the European Commission
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the EARLI SIG 26, Argumentation, Dialogue and Reasoning
- Co-Chair of the strand “Discourse and Argumentation in Science Education”, ESERA Conference (2013)