Dr Louis Nisiotis
Lecturer in Computing
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Sheffield Hallam University, 2015
- MSc Information Technology. Sheffield Hallam University, 2011
- BSc (Honours) in Computer Information Systems and Website Development, University of Derby, 2009
- PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Mixed Reality (MR), eXtended Reality (XR), Immersive Learning Technologies, Virtual Environments, Human Computer Interaction, Robotics, Cyber-Physical-Systems converging real and artificial agents and elements.
Lecturer in Computing, UCLan Cyprus (School of Sciences) (September 2020 – present)
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems and Data Management (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2017 – September 2020)
Lecturer in Information Systems and Data Management (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2015-2017)
Associate Lecturer (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2014-2015)
- IEEE Digital Reality Steering Committee Member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Lecturer in Computing at the University of Central Lancashire – Cyprus, engaging in multidisciplinary research specialising in Immersive Technologies and their application in Cyber-Physical-Social Systems and in Education.
My research interests include VR/AR/MR/XR, Immersive Learning Technologies, Robotics, Cyber-Physical-Social-Systems, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, Student Engagement, Collaboration, Motivation, Sociability, Presence and Immersion in Virtual Worlds.
I am interested in the convergence of immersive with robotics and other multimodal interactive technologies to support and foster the ongoing digital transformation of the society, to disrupt the way we (humans) interact with the real and digital worlds, with our surroundings, and with each other.
Currently leading research in innovation and application of immersive technologies and cutting-edge robotics to support the digital transformation of a plethora of domains. My current research work focuses on emerging a new type of conceptually led Cyber-Physical-Social Eco-Society of systems that seamlessly blends the real with digital worlds influenced by humans and their behavior, using XR, Robots and Social Networking technologies (Co- Leader).
I am also the Principal Investigator and Lead Developer of the VirtualSHU, consisting of two projects: the VirtualSHU virtual campus, a 3D Multi User Virtual Environment (MUVE) designed and implemented to support and enhance students learning experience; and RoboSHU MUVE that represents a new type of community based Cyber-Physical-Social Eco-Society Systems using XR, Robots and Social Networking technologies to develop a system that encompasses both physical and virtual environments capable of interacting dynamically and endangered by human behaviour.
I have been awarded my PhD (2015, Sheffield Hallam University) for investigating the use of 3D Virtual Worlds to support students experiencing barriers accessing Education. I have obtained an MSc in IT in 2010, and hold a BSc with Honours in Computer Information Systems and Website Development.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
Modules Taught (UCLan Cyprus): Game Concepts, Games Development 1, Computer Graphics, Games Development 2
Previous Course Leadership Experience:
- 2019/20 Course Leader BSc (Hons) Business and Digital Technology/ Business and ICT, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- 2017/18 Course Leader BSc (Hons) IT Management, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
Previous Teaching Experience:
- Introduction to Digital Technology (Module Leader),
- Computer Technology for Business (Module Leader),
- IT Infrastructures and Emerging Technologies
- IT Infrastructures and Emerging Technologies for Professional Solutions (Module Leader)
- Information Systems,
- Database Systems Design and Administration (Module Leader)
- Database Systems for Software Applications
- Software Tools and Databases
- Introduction to Technology and Hardware (MSc)
- Professionalism and Communication Skills
- + supervising PhD, undergraduate and post graduate dissertation projects.
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S (2020): Lessons Learned Using a Virtual World to Support Collaborative Learning in the Classroom. Special Issue on “Exploring Immersive Technologies in Learning” Journal of Universal Computer Science (In Press)
- Nisiotis, L. & Alboul, L. (2020) Work in Progress Paper: Converging Virtual Reality, Robots, and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning. 6th International Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) Conference, Online, 21 June 2020 – 25 June 2020 pp. 308-311.
- Saracco R, Autiosalo J, de Kerckhove D, Flammini F, Nisiotis L. (2020) Personal Digital Twins and their Role in Epidemics Control. An IEEE Digital Reality White Paper. IEEE
- Nisiotis L, Alboul L, Beer M. (2020) A Prototype that Fuses Virtual Reality, Robots, and Social Networks to Create a New Cyber–Physical–Social Eco-Society System for Cultural Heritage. Sustainability; 12(2):645.
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S. (2019). The Relationship Between Students’ Engagement and the Development of Transactive Memory Systems in MUVE: An Experience Report. In the 24th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE). Aberdeen, Scotland: ACM. doi:10.1145/3304221.3319743
- Nisiotis, L., Alboul, L., & Beer, M. (2019). Virtual Museums as a New Type of Cyber-Physical- Social System. In De Paolis, L. T., & Bourdot, P. (Eds.). 6th International Conference on Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics, Santa Maria al Bagno, Italy, June 24–27, 2019, Proceedings (Vol. 11614). Springer.
- Alboul, L., Beer, M., & Nisiotis, L. (2019). Merging Realities in Space and Time. In M. Dimitrova (Ed.), Cyber-Physical Systems for Social Applications (pp. 156-183). IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-7879-6.ch007
- Alboul, L., Beer, M., & Nisiotis, L. (2019). Robotics and Virtual Reality Gaming for Cultural Heritage Preservation. In F. Dorban (Ed.), Resilience and Sustainability of Cities in Hazardous Environments (pp. 335-345). Napoli: GVES.
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S. (2018). The Development and Evolution of Transactive Memory System Over Time in MUVEs. In the 10th Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (pp. 174-179), Essex, UK. IEEE.
- Nisiotis L., Kleanthous Loizou S., Beer M., Uruchurtu E. (2017). The Development of Transactive Memory Systems in Collaborative Educational Virtual Worlds. In: Beck D. et al. (eds) Immersive Learning Research Network. (iLRN) Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 725. Springer, Cham
- Nisiotis, L., Beer, M., & Uruchurtu, E. (2016). The use of Cyber Campuses to Support Online Learning for Students Experiencing Barriers Accessing Education. EAI Endorsed Transactions on Future Intelligent Educational Environments, 2(6), 1-18. doi:10.4108/eai.27-6-2016.151522
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Nisiotis and Alboul. “Converging XR and Robots to create new realities” IEEE Digital Reality Webinar, September 2020
- Interview at the Versatilist Podscast – The Convergence of XR, Robots and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning, August 2020
- “Predicting Future Tech Trends for an Immersive Intelligent Digital World”, IEEE Digital Reality Plenary Session Invited Speaker, (responsible for hosting the session in VR) IEEE COMPSAC 2020 International Conference, July 2020
- “Converging XR, Robots, and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning”, Online, Exhibitor at the 6th International Immersive Learning Research Network Conference
- Sheffield Innovation Programme Workshop – “Immersive Technologies to support SMEs During and After the Lockdown” – part-funded by the England European Regional Development Fund under the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. May 2020
- STEM Centre for a Raspberry Jam 2020 – British Computing Society (BCS) – XR and Robots Interactive Display, March 2020
- “The Use of Cyber Campus Environments to Support Access and Participation to Education” – Annual Learning, Teaching and Assessment Conference, Sheffield Hallam University, UK, Exhibiting the VirtualSHU cyber campus environment and delivering interactive session.
- “Being Human Festival. Fictional Human and Real Robot: Sharing Spaces with Robots” – Contributing Participants and Interactive Display, November 2016
- Speaker: “Using Cyber Campuses to Support Online Teaching & Learning”, British Computing Society (BCS) – South Yorkshire Branch, April 2016
- Keynote Speaker: “Supporting Learners in the Digital Age”, British Computing Society (BCS) London, UK, April 2014
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- 2019 – Teaching Enhancement Grant 19/20, Principal Investigator – Sheffield Hallam University – Department of Computing
- 2018 – Educational Research Project Grant, Principal Investigator – Sheffield Hallam University – Department of Computing
- 2016 – Teaching Enhancement Grant, Principal Investigator – Sheffield Hallam University – Department of Computing
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Doctoral Supervisor Development Programme, Sheffield Hallam University (2017)
- Researchers who Teach Course (2013)
- 2019 – Best Poster Award (sponsored by Springer)
Awarded at the 6th International Conference on Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Computer Graphics for presenting the paper entitled “Virtual Museums as a new type of Cyber Physical Social System”
- 2017, 2019 – Nominated by Students for the Inspirational Teaching Award – Sheffield Hallam University
- 2011-2014 A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship, PhD Scholarship. Overall grant award £13500
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- IEEE Digital Reality Steering Committee Member
- Immersive Learning Research Network Member, Editorial Board and Reviewer.
- Frontiers in Virtual Reality – Virtual Reality and Human Behaviour Section (Review Editor).
- Virtual Reality (VIRE Springer – Reviewer)
- Editorial Board and Reviewer for Special Issues on Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS).
- Multimodal Technologies and Interaction (MDPI) (Reviewer).