Dr Louis Nisiotis
LECTURER IN COMPUTING AND COURSE LEADER OF BSC (HONS) COMPUTING
- PhD in Computing (Sheffield Hallam University, UK, 2015)
- MSc Information Technology (Sheffield Hallam University, UK, 2010)
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Information Systems (University of Derby, UK, 2009)
- PGCert of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 2016
Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Mixed Reality (MR), eXtended Reality (XR), Immersive Learning Technologies, Virtual Environments, Human Computer Interaction, Cyber-Physical-Social Systems converging real and artificial agents and elements
Lecturer in Computing, UCLan Cyprus (School of Sciences) (September 2020 – present)
Senior Lecturer in Information Systems and Data Management (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2017 – September 2020)
Lecturer in Information Systems and Data Management (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2015 – 2017)
Associate Lecturer (Department of Computing), College of Business, Technology and Engineering, Sheffield Hallam University, UK (2014 – 2015)
- IEEE Digital Reality Steering Committee Member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Engaging in multidisciplinary research specialising in Immersive Technologies and their application in Cyber-Physical-Social Systems and in Education among other industrial and societal domains.
Research interests include Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality, Immersive Learning Technologies, , Cyber-Physical-Social-Systems, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, Student Engagement, Collaboration, Motivation, Sociability, Presence and Immersion in Virtual Worlds.
Special interest in the convergence of immersive with other emerging interactive technologies to support and foster the ongoing digital transformation of the society, to disrupt the way (we) humans interact with the real and digital worlds, with our surroundings, and with each other.
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BSc Computing (2021 – Present)
- Deputy Course Leader, BSc Computing (2020 – 2021)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: (UCLan Cyprus):
- Game Concepts,
- Games Development 1,
- Computer Graphics,
- Games Development 2
Past Teaching and Course Leadership (Sheffield Hallam University, UK)
- 2019/20 Course Leader BSc (Hons) Business and Digital Technology/ Business and ICT
- 2017/18 Course Leader BSc (Hons) IT Management
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Introduction to Digital Technology, Computer Technology for Business, IT Infrastructures and Emerging Technologies, Information Systems, Database Systems Design and Administration, Database Systems for Software Applications, Software Tools and Databases, Introduction to Technology and Hardware (MSc), Professionalism and Communication Skills, + supervising PhD, undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation projects
- Nisiotis, L. and Alboul, L., 2021. Initial Evaluation of an Intelligent Virtual Museum Prototype Powered by AI, XR and Robots. 8th International Conference on Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Computer Graphics (in press)
- Nisiotis, L. and Alboul, L., 2021. Work-In-Progress-An Intelligent Immersive Learning System Using AI, XR and Robots. 7th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) (pp. 1-3). IEEE.
- Rahman, M.R., Alboul, L., Nisiotis, L., Penders, J. and Di Nuovo, A., 2021. Safety Assessment of a Robotic Arm Motion including Human Factors. UKRAS Conference
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S (2020). Lessons Learned Using a Virtual World to Support Collaborative Learning in the Classroom. Special Issue on “Exploring Immersive Technologies in Learning” Journal of Universal Computer Science (In Press).
- Nisiotis, L. & Alboul, L. (2020). Work in Progress Paper: Converging Virtual Reality, Robots, and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning. 6th International Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) Conference, Online, 21 June 2020 – 25 June 2020 pp. 308-311.
- Saracco R, Autiosalo J, de Kerckhove D, Flammini F, Nisiotis L. (2020) Personal Digital Twins and their Role in Epidemics Control. An IEEE Digital Reality White Paper. IEEE
- Nisiotis L, Alboul L, Beer M. (2020) A Prototype that Fuses Virtual Reality, Robots, and Social Networks to Create a New Cyber–Physical–Social Eco-Society System for Cultural Heritage. Sustainability; 12(2):645.
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S. (2019). The Relationship Between Students’ Engagement and the Development of Transactive Memory Systems in MUVE: An Experience Report. In the 24th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE). Aberdeen, Scotland: ACM. doi:10.1145/3304221.3319743
- Nisiotis, L., Alboul, L., & Beer, M. (2019). Virtual Museums as a New Type of Cyber-Physical- Social System. In De Paolis, L. T., & Bourdot, P. (Eds.). 6th International Conference on Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics, Santa Maria al Bagno, Italy, June 24–27, 2019, Proceedings (Vol. 11614). Springer.
- Alboul, L., Beer, M., & Nisiotis, L. (2019). Merging Realities in Space and Time. In M. Dimitrova (Ed.), Cyber-Physical Systems for Social Applications (pp. 156-183). IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-7879-6.ch007
- Alboul, L., Beer, M., & Nisiotis, L. (2019). Robotics and Virtual Reality Gaming for Cultural Heritage Preservation. In F. Dorban (Ed.), Resilience and Sustainability of Cities in Hazardous Environments (pp. 335-345). Napoli: GVES.
- Nisiotis, L., & Kleanthous, S. (2018). The Development and Evolution of Transactive Memory System Over Time in MUVEs. In the 10th Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (pp. 174-179), Essex, UK. IEEE.
- Nisiotis L., Kleanthous Loizou S., Beer M., Uruchurtu E. (2017). The Development of Transactive Memory Systems in Collaborative Educational Virtual Worlds. In: Beck D. et al. (eds) Immersive Learning Research Network. (iLRN) Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 725. Springer, Cham
- Nisiotis, L., Beer, M., & Uruchurtu, E. (2016). The use of Cyber Campuses to Support Online Learning for Students Experiencing Barriers Accessing Education. EAI Endorsed Transactions on Future Intelligent Educational Environments, 2(6), 1-18. doi:10.4108/eai.27-6-2016.151522
- Nisiotis, L., Beer, M., & Uruchurtu, E. (2014). The Evaluation of SHU3DED Cyber Campus: A Pilot Study. 14th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), 688-690.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- IEEE COMPSAC 2021 – Panel Discussion, Nisiotis, Coughlin, Napp, Wang, Grise, Ranaweera: “Deriving Past, Present, and Future Tech to More Intelligent and Resilient Digital Realities for a Collaborative World” (2021)
- Nisiotis and Alboul, “Fusing Virtual Reality, Robots and Social Networking Technologies to Build the Virtual Museum of the Future: Towards a New Type of Community Based Cyber-Physical-Social Eco-System”, Presentation at the International Conference on Emerging Technologies and the Digital Transformation of Museums and Heritage Sites (2021)
- Nisiotis: “Using XR to Support Immersive Learning”, Greek Institute of Educational Policy (2021)
- Nisiotis: “Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality Tech to Support Immersive Learning”, WestCo Academy (2021)
- Nisiotis and Alboul: “Interweaving spaces: fusion of Digital Realities and Robotics Technologies”. Future Trends in Information Technology organised by the Metropolitan College Greece (2021)
- Panel Guest: “The Use of Immersive Technologies to Support the Arts During and After Covid-19”. Cyprus@60 online festival organized by the Cyprus High Commission in the UK for celebrating the 60th anniversary of the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus, September 2020
- Nisiotis and Alboul. “Creating New Realities”. IEEE Digital Reality Webinar, September 2020
- Interview at the Versatilist Podscast – The Convergence of XR, Robots and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning, September 2020.
- “Predicting Future Tech Trends for an Immersive Intelligent Digital World”, IEEE Digital Reality Plenary Session Invited Speaker, (responsible for hosting the session in VR) IEEE COMPSAC 2020 International Conference, July 2020
- “Converging XR, Robots, and Social Networks to Support Immersive Learning”, Online, Exhibitor at the 6th International Immersive Learning Research Network Conference
- Sheffield Innovation Programme Workshop – “Immersive Technologies to support SMEs During and After the Lockdown” – part-funded by the England European Regional Development Fund under the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. May 2020
- STEM Centre for a Raspberry Jam 2020 – British Computing Society (BCS) – XR and Robots Interactive Display, March 202
- “The Use of Cyber Campus Environments to Support Access and Participation to Education” – Annual Learning, Teaching and Assessment Conference, Sheffield Hallam University, UK, Exhibiting the VirtualSHU cyber campus environment and delivering interactive session.
- “Being Human Festival. Fictional Human and Real Robot: Sharing Spaces with Robots” – Contributing Participants and Interactive Display, November 2016
- Speaker: “Using Cyber Campuses to Support Online Teaching & Learning”, British Computing Society (BCS) – South Yorkshire Branch, April 2016
- Keynote Speaker: “Supporting Learners in the Digital Age”, British Computing Society (BCS) London, UK, April 2014
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- 2019 – Teaching Enhancement Grant 19/20, VirtualSHU Cyber Campus Development and Evaluation, Principal Investigator, £1000 – Sheffield Hallam University – Department of Computing
- 2018 – Educational Research Project Grant, VirtualSHU Cyber Campus Development and Evaluation, Principal Investigator, £1500 – Sheffield Hallam University
- 2016 – Teaching Enhancement Grant, VirtualSHU Cyber Campus Development and Evaluation, Principal Investigator, £1000 – Sheffield Hallam University – Department of Computing
- 2021 – IEEE ICIR Conference Competition – Professional Track – 3rd Place Winner
- 2019 – Best Poster Award (sponsored by Springer) – Awarded at the 6th International Conference on Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Computer Graphics for presenting the paper entitled “Virtual Museums as a new type of Cyber Physical Social System”
- 2017, 2019 – Nominated by Students for the Inspirational Teaching Award – Sheffield Hallam University
- 2011-2014 A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship, PhD Scholarship. Overall grant award £13500
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- IEEE Digital Reality Steering Committee Member
- Immersive Learning Research Network Member, Editorial Board and Reviewer
- Frontiers in Virtual Reality – Virtual Reality and Human Behaviour Section (Review Editor)
- Virtual Reality (VIRE Springer – Reviewer)
- Editorial Board and Reviewer for Special Issues on Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS)
- Multimodal Technologies and Interaction (MDPI) (Reviewer)
- International Conference on Intelligent Reality (Reviewer, Competition Chair)
- UCLanian’s Game Dev Showcase Day event (Organiser)