Dr Marcos Michaelides
DEPUTY COURSE LEADER IN MSc SPORTS AND EXERCISE SCIENCE PROFESSOR IN SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCE
+357 24 694151
PhD Exercise Science (University of Arkansas, 2008)
MSc Exercise Science (University of Arkansas, 2004)
Graduate Certificate in Educational Statistics and Research (University of Arkansas, 2008)
BSc Kinesiology with Specialization in Physiotherapy (Szemelweis University, 2001)
Assistant Professor in Sport and Exercise Science (2019 – Present)
Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Science (2014 – 2019)
Research Fellow, University of Cyprus, Departments of Physiology and Medical Imaging (2011 – 2014)
Ergophysiologist, Peak Performance Egophysiology Center (2010 – 2014)
Animal Biologist, University of Cyprus (2005 – 2013)
Health and Wellness Coordinator, Fayetteville Public Schools (2004 – 2010)
Exercise testing and performance in athletes and high-risk professionals
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader of MSc Sport and Exercise Sciences (2018 – 2020)
- Module Leadership/Delivery: Basis of Human Movement, Introduction to Research Methods, Fitness Testing and Exercise Prescription, Measurement Techniques in Sports and Exercise Science, Physiology of Human Performance
- Director of the UCLan Cyprus Sports Lab
- Coordinator of the UCLan Cyprus Fitness Centre
- Koulla, P. & Michaelides, M., (2020). The effect of transition period on performance parameters in elite female soccer players. Int J Sports Med, 41(8):528-532
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K., Zacharia, A. (2019). Assessment of lower body and abdominal strength in professional soccer players. J Hum Kinet 30;70:15-2 DOI: 10.2478/hukin-2019-0035
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K., Zacharia, A. (2019). The effects of an 8-week pre-seasonal training on the aerobic fitness of professional soccer players” for publication in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. JSCR-08-11789R3 (in press).
- Peljha, Z., Michaelides, M., & Collins, D. (2018). The relative importance of selected physical fitness parameters in Olympic clay target shooting. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise,13(3), 541-552.
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K., Zacharia, A. (2018). Pre-season maximal aerobic power in professional soccer players among different divisions. J Strength Cond Res 32 (2): 356–363. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001810.
- Koulla Parpa and Marcos Michaelides. (2017). Peak Isokinetic Torques of Football Players Participating in Different Levels in Cyprus and Lower Limb Asymmetries Journal of Sports Science (5): 250-255. doi: 10.17265/2332-7839/2017.05.003
- Michaelides M, Georgiadou S, Constantinides C. (2015). In vivo epicardial force and strain characterisation in normal and MLP-knockout murine hearts. Physiol Meas. (7):1573-1590. Peer reviewed journal with an ISI® 2015 Impact Factor of 1.576
- Kossivas F, Cao L, Michaelides M, Kyprianou A, Constantinides C. (2013). Regional elastic modulus measurements of the ex-vivo murine heart using atomic force microscopy. J. of Nanotechnology, (10)1064 – 1077.
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K., Henry, L.J., Thompson, B., Brown, S. B. (2011). Assessment of Physical Fitness Aspects and their Relationship to Firefighter Job Abilities. J Strength Cond Res. 25(4), 956-965. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181cc23ea
- Riggs, C.E., Michaelides, M., & Parpa, K., (2010). The Effects of Aerobic Interval Training on the Left Ventricular Morphology and Function of VLCAD Deficient Mice. Eur J Appl Physiol. 110(5), 915-923. DOI: 10.1007/s00421-010-1578-4
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K., Thompson, B., Brown, S. B. (2008). Predicting performance on firefighter’s ability test from fitness parameters. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 79(4), 468-475.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K. Zacharia, A. Assessing changes in aerobic fitness measures over the preseason-training phase in professional football players. ECSS. 2018.
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K. Zacharia, A. The effects of exercise in ageing process. Cyprus Bioethics Committee first annual conference, 2019.
- Michaelides, M., Parpa, K. Zacharia, A. Age related differences in anthropometric and performance of young football players. 2019.
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Performance Coordinator. AEK Larnaca’s FC. (2020)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Annual Be Active conference organizer part of the CSO 2020 program.
- Reviewer for PLOS ONE journal
- Reviewer for Journal of Science & Medicine in Sports