Dr Marios Raspopoulos
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND COURSE LEADER OF BENG (HONS) COMPUTER ENGINEERING
PhD in Telecommunications (University of Surrey, 2008)
MSc in Communication Networks and Software (University of Surrey, 2004)
MEng in Electronics with Mobile Communications (University of Surrey, 2003)
HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Higher Technical Institute, 2001)
Certificate in Higher Education Teaching Toolkit (UCLan, 2016)
Associate Professor, UCLan Cyprus, School of Sciences (2021 – present)
Assistant Professor, UCLan Cyprus, School of Sciences (2015 – 2021)
Adjunct Lecturer, Open University of Cyprus, (2013 – 2015)
Chief Technical Officer, Sigint Solutions Ltd. (2007 – 2015)
Research Associate, University of Surrey (2005 – 2007)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member in the Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber – ETEK
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers – IEEE
- Member of the Indoor Positioning Indoor Navigation (IPIN) International Standards Committee (ISC)
Telecommunications – Mobile Communications-5G Communications, Electronic Positioning/Localization/Tracking of wireless devices, Design and Management of Wireless Telecommunication Systems and Networks, Radio Propagation/Radio Planning/ Wireless Channel Modelling, Human Exposure to Electromagnetic Radiation, Information Systems Development, Ubiquitous and Pervasive Computing/Internet of Things, Responsibility in Smart Environments/Technologies
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader, BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Module Leadership/Deliveries: Electronics and Instrumentation, Data Communications, Wireless and Mobile Communication, Network Design and Management, Professional Skills
- Chair of the University Innovation and Enterprise (I&E) Sub-committee of the Research and Innovation Committee (2019 – Present)
- Member of the Teaching and Learning Sub-committee (2018 – 2020)
- School of Sciences Lead for Innovation and Enterprise, Research and Innovation Committee (2015 – 2018)
- M. Raspopoulos (2018), “Multidevice Map-Constrained Fingerprint-Based Indoor Positioning Using 3-D Ray Tracing,” in IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 466-476, Feb. 2018, doi: 10.1109/TIM.2017.2774181
- Paspallis, N., Raspopoulos, M. Barry, C., Lang, M., Linger, H., Schneider, C. (2018). Advances in Information Systems Development: Methods, Tools and Management, Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organisation/ Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-74817-7
- Paspallis, N and Raspopoulos, M. (2017) “An Open Platform for Studying and Testing Context-Aware Indoor Positioning Algorithms”. In: Goluchowski J., Pankowska M., Linger H., Barry C., Lang M., Schneider C. (eds) Complexity in Information Systems Development. Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organisation, vol 22. Springer, Cham, pp. 39-50.
- Andreou,P, Raspopoulos, M. (2016). Active Life Coach: Towards a Framework for Holistic Care of Citizens as They Age, In: 10th Mediterranean conference on Information Systems, 4-6 September 2016, Pafos, Cyprus
- Radwan A., Rodriguez J., Raspopoulos, M., Trapps, P, Dussoport, L., Giry, A., Fraysse, F., Aissa, S. and Perrin O. (2015) Showcasing 5G Handsets. In: Radwan A., Rodriguez J. (eds) Energy Efficient Smart Phones for 5G Networks. Signals and Communication Technology. Springer, Cham, pp. 187-239
- Kanaris, L., Kokkinis, A., Raspopoulos, M., A. Liotta and Stavrou, S. (2014) “Improving RSS fingerprint-based localization using directional antennas,” In Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014 8th European Conference on, pp. 1593-1597, The Hague, April 2014.
- Kokkinis, A., Kanaris, L.;,Raspopoulos, M., A. Liotta and Stavrou, S. (2014) “Optimizing route prior knowledge for map-aided fingerprint-based positioning systems,” In Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014 8th European Conference on, pp. 2141-2144, The Hague, April 2014.
- Arambasic, I., Casajus, J, Raos, I., Raspopoulos, M. and Stavrou, S. (2013) “Anchor-less Self-Positioning in Rectangular Room Based on sectorized Narrowband Antennas”, In 19th European Wireless Conference 2013, pp. 1-6, Guildford, UK, April 2013.
- Raspopoulos, M. et. al (2012), “Location-Dependent Information Extraction for Positioning”. In Proceedings of International Conference on Localization and GNSS, pp 1-6, Starnberg, June 2012.
- Raspopoulos, M. et. al (2012). “3D Ray Tracing for device-independent fingerprint-based positioning”, In Proc. of 9th Workshop in Positioning Navigation and Communications 2012 (WPNC2012), pp.109-113, Dresden, Germany, 16 March 2012.
- Raspopoulos M; and Stavrou, S (2011). “Frequency Selective Buildings through Frequency Selective Surfaces” In IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, Issue 8, pp. 2998-3005, Aug. 2011.
- Raspopoulos M., and Stavrou S. (2007) “Frequency Selective Surfaces on Building Materials – Air gap Impact”, In: IET Electronic Letters, 43(13), 700-702.
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- Erasmus+ KA2, IREEDER – Introducing Recent Electrical Engineering Developments in Undergraduate Curriculum, Work-Package Leader, €53,000, 2019 – 2022
- Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Trade and Tourism Cyprus, Industrial Funding Schemes 2007-2013, TruNET – 3D Wireless Network Planning Simulator, Project Manager, €130,857, 2013 – 2014
- EU FP7 ICT 2009- WHERE-2 – Wireless Hybrid Enhanced Radio Estimators 2, Task Leader, €271,125, 2010 – 2013
- EU FP7-ICT-2009-4 -C2Power – Cognitive Radio and Cooperative strategies for power saving in multi-standard wireless devices, Work Package, €342,510, 2010 – 2012
- EU FP7-ICT-2009-1.1- CogEU – COGnitive radio systems for efficient sharing of TV white spaces in EUropean contex, Work Package Leader, €356,715, January 2010 – December 2012.
- ΤΠΕ/ΕΠΙΚΟΙ/0609(ΒΙΕ), Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation – LOCME – Localization of Mobile Terminals, €74,026, 2011 – 2013
- EUREKA CELTIC/Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation, MOBILIA – Mobility concepts for IMT-Advanced Networks, Project Coordinator of the Cypriot Consortium –€275,126, 2008 -2010
- EUREKA-EUROSTARS/Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation, 4GOpen -Optimization and Convergence for Next Generation Networks, Researcher, €205,880, 2009 – 2011
- EU FP7-ICT-2007 – FUTON – Fibre Optic Networks for Distributed, Extensible Heterogeneous Radio Architectures and Service provisioning, Work Package Leader, €349,120, 2008 – 2010
- EU FP7 ICT 2007-1 WHERE – Wireless Hybrid Enhanced Radio Estimators, Task Leader, €179,630, 2008 – 2010
- Research for new Researchers/Cyprus Research Promotion foundation, ASPIDA – Security in Sensor Network, Project Coordinator, €115,458, 2006 – 2010
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- A. S. (PhD): 3D Indoor Navigation and Tracking for IoT Applications (2020 – Present)
- G. C. (MSc): Penetration Testing and Detection of Vulnerabilities in Wireless networks and IoT devices (2020 – 2021)
- A. C. (MSc): Sleeping Posture Classification. (2015 – 2016)
- T. K. (MSc): Design and Dimensioning of LTE Wireless Systems (2015 – 2016)
- Best Paper Award in the 25th International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2016), Katowice, Poland for the paper: “An Open Platform for Studying and Testing Context-Aware Indoor Positioning Algorithms”, 2016
- Best Paper Award the 11th European Wireless Conference in Nicosia, Cyprus for the paper: “Effect of Frequency Selective Surfaces on radio wave propagation in indoor environments”, 2005.
- The Cable and Wireless Prize. Awarded by the Department of Electronic Engineering at the University of Surrey, UK for the best overall performance from a full-time student graduating with an MSc in Satellite Communications Engineering or Communications Networks and Software, 2004
- The MSc Advisory Board Prize. Awarded by the Department of Electronic Engineering at the University of Surrey, UK for the best project by a full-time student graduating with an MSc (taught program), 2004
- IEEE UK&RI Project Prize: Certificate of Merit awarded for the best final-year undergraduate project in the Telecommunications area by the IEEE United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland – Communications Chapter, 2002
- Presidential Prize for the highest overall performance at the Higher Technical Institute. Awarded by the President of the Republic of Cyprus Mr. Glafkos Clerides, 2001
- IEE Cyprus Prize: Certificate of Merit for the highest overall performance in all subjects studied in the Electrical Engineering course at the Higher Technical Institute. Awarded by the Institution of Electrical Engineers Cyprus (IEE Cyprus), 2001
- ΣΕΠΑΗΚ Prize: Certificate of Merit for the best performance in Electrical Power subjects at the Higher Technical Institute. Awarded by the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) Professional Employees Union, 2001
- ΕΠΟΕΤ Prize: Certificate of Merit for the best performance in Electronic Engineering subjects at the Higher Technical Institute. Awarded by the Free Pancyprian Organization of Telecommunication Employees, 2001
- CyBC Prize: Certificate of Merit for the best project in Electronic Engineering at the Higher Technical Institute. Awarded by the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation, 2001
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Member of the Parallel Parliament for the Environment, Ecology-Sustainability and Health (2020 – Present)
- Programme Co-Chair, 26th International Conference on Information Systems Development, Larnaca-Cyprus (ISD2017)
- Judge at the ACM ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Competition) Cyprus Competition, 2017
- Expert Evaluator for the EUROSTARS Program in the EUREKA Network
- Registered Expert in EC Research & Innovation Portal
- Member of the Indoor Positioning Indoor Navigation (IPIN) International Standards Committee (ISC)
- PhD Examiner, Firooz Bashshi Saghezchi, “Cooperative Strategies for Energy Efficiency in Multi-standard Wireless Devices”, University of Aveiro, Portugal (2016)
- Reviewer at various peer-reviewed journals