Dr Marios Tryfonidis
Associate Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Sciences
M.B.A. (University of Cyprus 2015)
Postgraduate Diploma in Trauma Surgery (University of Swansea, 2012)
Dipl in C.C. in Children’s Orthopaedics (European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society, 2012)
Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in Orthopaedics (Cyprus Medical Council, 2010)
MRCS (Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2007)
MB ChB (University of Manchester, 2002)
Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Sciences, UCLan Cyprus (2018 – present)
Clinical Associate Professor in Trauma & Orthopaedics, University of Nicosia, Medical School (July 2017 – Sept 2018)
Medical Director, Dikteon Medical Centre, Nicosia Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon (Jan 2016)
Honorary Assistant Professor in Trauma & Orthopaedics, University of Nicosia, St George’s Medical School (July 2014 – June 2017)
Honorary Senior Lecturer in Anatomy and Clinical Skills, University of Nicosia, St George’s Medical School (Sept 2012 – July 2014)
Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon, Clinical Lead for Children’s Orthopaedics, Nicosia General Hospital & Archbishop Makarios III Hospital (Aug 2010 – Dec 2015)
- Cyprus Medical Council
- Cyprus Orthopaedic Society
- Cyprus Sport Medicine Association
- General Medical Council (UK)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Association of Clinical anatomists
Musculoskeletal sequelae of Neuromuscular Conditions
Physiology and Pathology of Movement
Sport Injuries Prevention and Management
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Module Leader/Module Tutor for several sport and exercise science modules: Management Strategies for Sport Injuries; Prevention Strategies for Sports Injuries; Exercise for Special Population Groups; Advanced skills for Sport & Exercise Practitioners; Common Sport Injuries and injury prevention.
- Member of the UCLan Cyprus Ethics Committee (2018-present)
- Upper limb spasticity surgery in adults: What we learned in 5 years of practicing it. J Musculoskelet Surg Res. 2019;3:75-84
- Identification of a novel 15.5 kb SHOX deletion associated with marked intrafamilial phenotypic variability and analysis of its molecular origin. J Genet. 2016;95(4):839-45
- The Ilizarov method for the treatment of complex tibial fractures and non-unions in a mass casualty setting: the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan. Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2015;10(1):13-20
- Distal radial and ulnar landmarks used in percutaneous pin fixation: anatomical relationship to the superficial radial and ulnar nerves. Hand Surg. 2010;15(3):161-4
- Temporal and spatial expression of TGF-b1 in an Achilles tendon section model after application of platelet rich plasma. Foot Ankle Surg. 2010;16(3):137-41
- Experimental study of tendon healing early phase: is IGF-1 expression influenced by platelet rich plasma gel? Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2010; 96(4):381-7
- Anatomical relationship of dorsal wrist arthroscopy portals and superficial nerves; a cadaveric study. Arthroscopy. 2009;25(12):1387-90
- The use of autologous platelet-rich plasma gel as an aid in the management of acute trauma wounds. Injury. 2009;40(8):801-5
- The distance between the sural nerve and ideal portal placements in lateral subtalar arthroscopy; a cadaveric study. Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29(7):842-4
- Acquired adult flat foot due to isolated plantar calcaneonavicular (spring) ligament insufficiency with a normal Tibialis Posterior Tendon. Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2008;14(2):89-95
Selected Conference and Seminar Presentations
- Pre-competition Competitive State Anxiety in professional football players in Cyprus. Hellenic Sports Medicine Congress, Thessaloniki, Greece. Oral Presentation (Dec 2018)
- Body stance asymmetries in 600 young footballers age 5-18 years old in Cyprus Hellenic Sports Medicine Congress, Thessaloniki, Greece. Oral Presentation (Dec 2018)
- Head Injuries in Children during Sport Activities. Be Active Week. UCLan Cyprus. Oral Presentation. (Sept 2018)
- Prevention o Musculoskeletal injuries. Be Active Week. Olympic Hall, Nicosia. Oral Presentation (Sept 2018)
- Orthopaedic diseases in Childhood. Paediatric Conference at Hilton Hotel, Nicosia. Oral Presentation (Feb 2018)
- Ponseti method for ‘Clubfoot’ treatment in children. National Podology Conference, UCLan Cyprus. Oral Presentation (Feb 2016)
- Principles of management of Lower Limb Trauma in Children. Democritus Univ. Summer School in Limb Trauma. Alexandroupolis Greece. Oral Presentation (June 2015)
- Lower Limb problems in Central Nervous System pathology. Bobath NDT MSc Course. University of Nicosia. Oral Presentation. (July 2014)
- Forearm and Distal radius fractures in Children. Democritus Univ. Summer School in Limb Trauma. Alexandroupolis Greece. Oral Presentation (July 2014)
- Clubfoot Service in Cyprus. Cyprus Ponseti Course on Clubfoot Management. University of Nicosia. Oral Presentation (May 2013)
Selected Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- The role of Pronator Teres in the activstion of neighbouring muscles. Neurophysiology study of muscle action and movement around the elbow. Funding secured form IASIS Hospital and Dikteon Medical Centre. Scientific lead and Supervisor. 2019-present.
- Upper Limb Spasticity surgery. Fully funded by Iasis Hospital, Paphos. Co-researcher and Clinical contributor. 2017-2019.
- Correction of body asymmetries, musculoskeletal injuries and exercise performance in young football players. Fully funded by ‘AAA Κίνηση & Παιδί’. Clinical Supervisor. 2018.
- Prevalence of Trunk Asymmetries in private school children in Cyprus. Fully funded by ‘AAA Κίνηση & Παιδί’. Supervisor. 2017 – present.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Supervisor of a number of MSc research project for the MSc in Sport & Exercise Sciences at UCLan University.
- Prevalence and Correction of Trunk and body Asymmetries, musculoskeletal injuries and exercise performance in young football players. Clinical Supervisor and Academic Co-Supervisor of this PhD project. (2017 – present).
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Council Member of Cyprus Private Doctors Union (2019 – present)
- Ministry of Labour and Social Services – Member of Medical Committee for Evaluation of Disability Status (2017 – present)
- Board Member of Cyprus Sport Medicine Society (2018 – present)
- Member of the Bio-Medical Research Assessment Committee, under the National Ethics Committee (2011 – 2015)
- Council Member of the British Association of Clinical Anatomists (2006 – 2011)
- John Getty award – Best Trainee Research project. South Yorkshire and South Humber Deanery (2010)
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Representative of Cyprus Sport Medicine Association at the ‘PROTECTS’ project (PReventive Outreach Through Exercise and Counseling Techniques in Soccer), a European Union funded initiative run by Democritus University of Thrace. 2019 – present.
- Member of the European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society (EPOS) Scientific society monitoring the standards of care in children’s orthopaedics in Europe and organises courses and conferences 2012 – present.
- Education Officer, A.O. Cyprus 2011 – present.
Note: AO stands for ‘Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen’ or the Association of the Study of Internal Fixation (ASIF). Local Cyprus representative for the global scientific association monitoring standards of trauma management and care.
- Member of the European Consensus Group on Ponseti Clubfoot Management. Invited as a member of this prestigious elite group of specialist paediatric orthopaedic surgeons, Published standards of practice for clubfoot management using the Ponseti technique 2012 – present.