Dr Panayiotis Andreou
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN COMPUTING AND COURSE LEADER OF MSC DATA ANALYTICS
PhD in Computer Science (University of Cyprus, Cyprus, 2011)
MSc Advanced Computer Technologies (University of Cyprus, Cyprus, 2006)
BSc Computer Science (University of Cyprus, Cyprus, 2003)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2016
Data Management and Analytics
Assistant Professor in Computing, UCLan Cyprus, School of Sciences (2016 – Present)
Lecturer in Computing, UCLan Cyprus, School of Sciences (2014 – 2016)
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Dep. of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2013 – 2014)
Visiting Lecturer, Dep. of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2012 – 2013)
Marie Curie Fellow, ID-Mind, Lisbon, Portugal (2012)
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Dep. of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2011 – 2012)
Instructor, Center for Teaching and Learning, Nicosia, Cyprus (2010 – 2011)
Research Associate, Dep. of Computer Science, Open University of Cyprus (2008)
Instructor, Training Seminars in the Industrial Sector (2004 – 2010)
Research Associate, Dep. of Computer Science, University of Cyprus (2003 – 2011)
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE)
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
Data Management for Systems and Networks, Information Systems, Adaptive Computing, ICT services for eHealth and Ambient Assisted Living, Adaptive Systems
Roles and Responsibilities (including past roles and responsibilities)
Teaching and Course Leadership
- Course Leader of MSc Data Analytics
- Module Leadership/Delivery (UCLan Cyprus): Enterprise Data Management, Knowledge Discovery, Business Intelligence and Data Analytics (MSc Data Analytics); System Analysis and Database Design, Advanced Programming with C++, Software Development, Software Engineering Practices, Object Oriented Methods in Computing, Algorithms and Data Structures, Database Systems (BSc Computing)
- Deputy Head, School of Sciences (2018)
- Member, Senate (elected member) (2015-2018)
- Chair, Innovation and Enterprise Committee (2016-2019)
- Member, Research and Innovation Committee (2016-2019)
- Internships Coordinator, School of Sciences (2015)
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- FogFS: A Nomadic Fog File System For Hyper-Responsive Mobile Applications”, A. Pamboris, G. Samaras, P. Andreou & I. Polycarpou. In the Proceedings of the 16th IEEE Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC 2019), January 2019.
- “An experience report on the effectiveness of five themed workshops at inspiring high school students to learn coding”, N. Paspallis, I. Polycarpou, P. Andreou, J. Antoniou, P. Kaimakis, M. Raspopoulos, M. Terzi. In the Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ACM, pp. 105 – 110, 2018.
- “Equilibrium State of Interaction: Maximizing User Experience through Optimum Adaptivity States”, P. Germanakos, P. Andreou, C. Mourlas. In the Proceedings of UMAP’18 Adjunct: 26th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization Adjunct, July 8–11, 2018, Singapore, Singapore, Pages 57-62.
- “Design and Evaluation of a Gamification-based Information System for Improving Student Attendance”, N. Paspallis, P. Andreou and A. Bullo. In the Proceedings of the ISD 2018 conference (27th International Conference on Information Systems Development), ISSN 978-91-7753-876-9, 2018.
- “MULTI-WEAR: A multi-wearable platform for enhancing mobile experiences”. A. Pamboris, P. Andreou, H. Herodotou, G. Samaras. In the Proceedings of the 15th Annual Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, CCNC 2018, January 2018, Las Vegas, US.
- “CodeAdventure: An Adventure Game for Computer Science Education”, Andreou, P., Nicou, G., Polycarpou, I., Germanakos, P. & Paspallis, N. (2017). In the Proceedings of the 2017 HCI International, 9-14 July 2017.
- “Enhancing Virtual Reality Systems with Smart Wearable Devices”, S.E. Alshaal, S. Michael, A. Pamboris, H. Herodotou, G. Samaras, P. Andreou, 17th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management, 13-16 June, Porto, Portugal, 2016.
- “AD-APT: Blurring the Boundary Between Mobile Advertising and User Satisfaction”, A. Pamboris, G. Antoniou, C. Makris, P. Andreou, G. Samaras, IEEE/ACM International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems, May 16-17, Austin, TX, USA, 2016.
- “ICT Systems and Services: Identification and Assessment of a Package of ICT Services for Ageing Well”, C. Christophorou, D. Georgiades, P. Andreou, S. Kleanthous, D. M. Cereghetti, J. Meijers, E. Christodoulou, G. Samaras, XIV Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing (MEDICON 2016), March 31st – April 2nd, Paphos, Cyprus, vol. 57, pp. 897-902, 2016.
- “A Robotic Cloud Ecosystem for Elderly Care and Ageing Well: The GrowMeUp Approach”, D. Georgiadis, C. Christophorou, S. Kleanthous, P. Andreou, L. Santos, E. Christodoulou, G. Samaras, XIV Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing (MEDICON 2016), March 31st – April 2nd, Paphos, Cyprus, pp. 913-918, 2016.
- “Architectural Historiography and Database Design: An Alliance to Empower Research in Modern Heritage”, P. Phokaides, P. Andreou, G. Antoniou, P. Pyla, G. Samaras, International Conference on Sustainability in Architectural Cultural Heritage (BIOCULTURAL 2015), December 11, Limassol, Cyprus, 2015.
- “Towards a Human-centered E-Commerce Personalization Framework”, M. Belk, P. Germanakos, P. Andreou, G. Samaras, International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI 2015), December 6-9, Singapore, 2015.
- “Towards a backend framework for supporting affective avatar-based interaction systems”, P. Andreou, D. Georgiadis, A. Pamboris, C. Christophorou, G. Samaras, European Conference on Ambient Intelligence 2015 (AmI-15), 11-13 November, Athens, Greece, 2015.
- “Sensor Mockup Experiments with SmartLab”, G. Larkou, M. Mintzis, S. Taranto, A. Konstantinidis, P. Andreou and D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, Information Processing in Sensor Networks, 2014.
- “An Individual Differences Approach in Adaptive Waving of User Checkout Process in Retail eCommerce”, M. Belk, P. Germanakos, S. Asimakopoulos, P. Andreou, C. Mourlas, G. Spanoudis, G. Samaras, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction International (HCII’14) 2014.
- “Managing Big Data Experiments on Smartphones”, G. Larkou, M. Mintzis, P. Andreou, A. Konstantinidis, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD’16), Volume 34, No.1, Pages: 33-64, 2016.
- “A Network-aware Framework for Energy-efficient Data Acquisition in Wireless Sensor Networks”, P. Andreou, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, G. Samaras, P.K. Chrysanthis, Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA’14), Volume 46, Pages: 227 – 240, 2014.
- “Integrating Human Factors and Semantic Markups in Adaptive Interactive Systems”, M. Belk, P. Germanakos, E. Papatheocharous, P. Andreou, G. Samaras, Open Journal of Web Technologies (OJWT’14), RonPub UG, Vol. 1(1): 15-26, 2014.
- “SmartLab: Empowering Mobile Computing Research through an Open Smartphone Cloud”, G. Larkou, P. Andreou, A. Konstantinidis, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, ERCIM News 2013(93), 2013.
- “Managing Smartphone Testbeds with SmartLab”, P. Andreou, G. Larkou, C. Costa, P. Andreou, A. Konstantinidis, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti , “Proceedings of the 27th USENIX Large Installation System Administration Conference” (LISA ’13), Washington D.C., USA, Pages: 115-132, ISBN: 978-1-931971-05-8, 2013.
- “Intelligent Search in Social Communities of Smartphone Users”, A. Konstantinidis, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, P. Andreou, P.K. Chrysanthis, G. Samaras, Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD ’13), Springer US, Volume 31, Pages: 115-149, 2013.
- “USN: An Optimization Framework for User-centric Social Networks”, P. Andreou, P. Germanakos, A. Konstantinidis, D. Georgiadis, M. Belk, G. Samaras, 10th International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (IEEE EUC’12), Nicosia, Cyprus, 5-7 December, 2012.
- “Power Efficiency through Tuple Ranking in Wireless Sensor Network Monitoring”, P. Andreou, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, P.K. Chrysanthis, G. Samaras, Distributed and Parallel Databases Journal, Vol.29, No.1-2, pp.113-150, 2011.
- “In-Network Data Acquisition and Replication in Mobile Sensor Networks”, P. Andreou, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti, P.K. Chrysanthis, G. Samaras, Distributed and Parallel Databases Journal, Vol.29, No.1-2, pp.87-112, 2011.
- “Optimized Query Routing Trees for Wireless Sensor Networks”, P. Andreou, D. Zeinalipour-Yazti,A. Pamboris, P.K. Chrysanthis, G. Samaras, Information Systems Journal, Volume 36, Issue 2, pp.267-291, April 2011.
Selective Conference and Seminar Presentations
- SAS Analytics Roadshow Cyprus 2019 (Build a smarter organization with Analytics and Artificial Intelligence), Panel Member, 2019
- “Η Σημασία των Δεδομένων στις Μοντέρνες Επιχειρήσεις”, Cyprus Digital Championship training day, Workshop, 2019.
- “Step into the light: Data Analytics-driven organizations”, European Youth Awards, Workshop, 2018
- “Step into the light: Data Analytics-driven organizations”, Exploring Computer Science, University of Cyprus workshop, 2018
- “Academic-Industry Collaborations: Effective Measures for Successful Engagement”, 22nd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), Panel Member, 2017
- “Industry-University Collaborations”, Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS), Panel Member, 2016
- “Unleashing the power of wearables Bringing devices together via a unified wearable development framework”, European University of Cyprus, 2016
- “Virtual Reality Fashion”, Mediterranean Science Festival, 2015
- “The retail store of 2020”, 26/11/2015, PowerSoft Branch, Hilton, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2015
Selective Research Funding/ Grant Capture
- H2020-EU.126.96.36.199., SLICES-DS, Principal Investigator (UCLan Cyprus), €2.9M, 2020 – 2022.
- Cyprus RIF-INNOVATE, RegTek, Principal Investigator (UCLan Cyprus), €1M, 2020 – 2022.
- Cyprus RIF-EXCELLENCE-HUBS, IDEALVis, Principal Investigator, €250K, 2019 – 2021.
- Ε 2/188.8.131.52/1/02.2017, University Labor Market Liaison Offices, Principal Investigator (UCLan Cyprus), €7M, 2014 – 2020.
- H2020-WIDESPREAD-04-2017 (Teaming Phase 1): CSRC, Centre for STEAM Education Research, Science Communication and Innovation, Researcher, €400,000, 2017.
- H2020-PHC-2014: Grow Me Up, Technical Manager (Cloud Knowledge Base Design), €3.4M, 2015 – 2018.
- FP7-ICT-2013-10: Miraculous-Life for Elderly Independent Living, Technical Manager (Knowledge Base Design), €3.2M, 2013 – 2016.
- Research Promotion Foundation Cyprus: PersonaWeb, Personalizing Generic Web Environments, Technical manager (designer of the data management system), €150K, 2012 – 2014.
- Research Promotion Foundation Cyprus: FireWatch: Fire detection/prediction of Cyprus forests using Wireless Sensor Networks, Lead author of the proposal (rank 1st in the evaluation process), Technical manager (designer of the data management system), €160K, 2010 – 2012.
- Research Promotion Foundation Cyprus: MELCO, Mobile Elderly Living Community, Technical manager (designer of the data management system), €130K, 2009 – 2011.
- FP7-PEOPLE-2011-IAPP-285870: Social Robot to Support Elderly at Home, Technical Manager, 2011 – 2014.
- FP7-224053: CONET, Cooperating Objects Network of Excellence, Member of three research clusters, €4M, 2008 – 2012.
- INFSO-ICT-224395: IPAC, Integrated Platform for Autonomic Computing, Member of the ICT services design and development team, €1.65M, 2008 – 2012.
- FP6-034707: MPower, Development and deployment of services for persons with cognitive disabilities and elderly, Member of the security services development team, €2.35M, 2007 – 2009.
Supervision of Projects/PhDs
- Current PhD supervision (2020 – 2023): Adaptive Visualizations for Enhanced Data Understanding and Interpretation
- Past PhD supervision: Adaptive Data Visualizations Framework. (2016 – 2019)
Consultancy and CPD Training
- Promotion of research techniques to the design of novel software projects, through consulting and training. Consultancy projects include
- InfoStar: Data Analytics for retail audit data (analysis and visualization of Big Data through the web), RAI Consultants LTD
- PharmaTrack: Data Analytics for pharmaceutical sales data (analysis and visualization of Big Data through the web), I.A.S. Sinopsis LTD
- Altius BID: Data warehousing and analytics for insurance data, Altius Insurance
- UCLan Cyprus Timetable/Student Attendance Monitoring: Comprehensive timetable scheduling system and tracking/reporting of daily student attendance, UCLan Cyprus
- MesArch: Empowering architectural research through a unified information system, Department of Architecture, University of Cyprus
- TrainerBee: Social Network for personal trainers.
- AthleteBase: Social network for young athletes
- Jockey DMS: Architectural design of a data management and reporting system for horse races data, Jockey Magazine
- CLDC DMS: Architectural Design and supervision for the development of the data management
- Best PhD Award: 9th European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN’2012) /Cooperating Objects Network of Excellence (CONET)
- eHealth Award: The DITIS system (Networked Home HealthCare Collaboration) was ranked among the best 20 e-Health projects in the European Union (out of 179 EU projects) and has been presented at the e-Health Ministerial conference 2003
- World Summit Award (WSA): DITIS was ranked seventh among over eighty projects at the World Summit Award (WSA) Competition, October 2003
- DMSN’07 student fellowship: Research Fellowship
Other Scholarly and Outreach Activities
- Co-Founder and Director of InSPIRE (Center of Interdisciplinary Science Promotion and Innovative Research Exploration) 2016 – Present
- Chair for the Cyprus Digital Championship 2018 – Present
- Member, Organizing Committee and Jury Committee for the Cyprus Digital Championship 2015 – Present
- Member, European Youth Awards (EYA) Grant Jury Expert Team of Evaluators. 2018 – Present
- Expert Reviewer: European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) 2018: Expert Reviewer
- Program Chair: ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE) 2018
- Member, Program and Organizing Committee (program track chair): ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE) 2017
- Member, Program and Organizing Committee (program track chair): 26th International Conference on Information Systems Development, ISD 2017
- Member, Jury Committee for the Business Idea Competition 2016/17
- Reviewer for several journals including ACM Transactions on Storage (TOS), IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT), IEEE Transactions on Computers (TOC), IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), Springer’s Very Large Databases Journal (VLDB), Springer’s Distributed and Parallel Databases Journal (DAPD), Springer’s Wireless Networks Journal (WINET), Springer’s Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), Elsevier’s Ad hoc Networks, Elsevier’s Data & Knowledge Engineering Journal (DKE), Elsevier’s Performance Evaluation (PEVA), Intl. Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS)
- Reviewer for several conferences including ACM CIKM – Intl. Information and Knowledge Management Conf., ACM SIGMOD – Intl. Management of Data Conf., ACM PEWASUN – ACM Intl. Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks, ACM SIGKDD – Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, IEEE HPCC – Intl. Conf. on High Performance Computing and Communications, IEEE ICDE – Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, IEEE ICDM – Intl. Conf. on Data Mining, IEEE ISCC – Intl. Symposium on Computers and Communications, IEEE IWCMC – Intl. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conf., IEEE MDM – Intl. Conf. on Mobile Data Management, IEEE SUTC – Intl. Conf. on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing, IEEE Sensors – Annual IEEE Conf. on Sensors, IEEE PIMRC – Intl. Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, ICSSSM – Intl. Conf. on Service Systems and Service, HDMS – Hellenic Data Management Symposium, PAKDD – Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, EDBT – Intl. Conf. on Extending Database Technology, Euro-Par – Intl. European Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Computing, WAIM – Intl. Conf. on Web-Age Information Management, ECML PKDD – European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases
- Reviewer for several Workshops including ACM DMSN (VLDB) – Intl. Workshop on Data Management for Sensor Networks, ACM MOBIDE (SIGMOD) – Intl. Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, SENTIE (MDM) – Intl. Workshop on Sensor Network Technologies for Information Explosion Era