Prof. Doris Schroeder
Senior Visiting Fellow of Ethics (Honorary)
+357 24 69 4000
PhD in Medicine (Birmingham, 1998)
Thesis Title: ‘Work Incentives and Welfare Provisions – The pathological theory of unemployment’ (awarded without any corrections)
MA Philosophy, Politics, English (Aachen, 1994)
BA (Hons) Philosophy, Politics, English (Aachen, 1993)
MA Business/Economics (Aachen, 1986)
BA (Hons) Business/Economics (Aachen, 1985)
SD2 (Teaching qualification of the UK Higher Education Academy)
Professor of Moral Philosophy, UCLan Cyprus School of Law, Larnaca, Cyprus, November 2012 – 2020
Professor of Moral Philosophy and Director of Centre for Professional Ethics, Uclan UK, August 2008 – Present
Professorial Fellow, Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics, University of Melbourne, Australia, January 2007 – January 2012
Adjunct Professor, The Ethics Programme, University of Oslo, Norway, 2010-2011
Since 2017 Global Advisory Board Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies
Since 2014 Ehrenmitglied “Strukturanreize für Globale Gesundheit”
Since 2013 Deutsche Gesellschaft für Philosophie
Since 2012 Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
Since 2010 Founding member of Academics Stand Against Poverty
Since 2007 Kollegium der Europäischen Akademie zur Erforschung von Folgen wissenschaftlich-technischer Entwicklungen, Germany
Since 2003 Member of the British Philosophical Association
2001: Vice-President of the Association for Legal and Social Philosophy
2000: Founder member of the Society for Applied European Thought
1999-2002: Honorary Research Fellow, University of Birmingham, Centre for Bioethics
Benefit sharing, international justice, global research ethics, dignity, vulnerability
Roles and Responsibilities
Teaching and Course Leadership
Selective Publications/ Blog posts
- Schroeder D, Chennells R, Louw C, Snyders L and Hodges T. (2020). The Rooibos Benefit Sharing Agreement–Breaking New Ground with Respect, Honesty, Fairness and Care. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, 1-26. doi:10.1017/S0963180119001075
- Doris Schroeder, Kate Chatfield, Roger Chennells, Michelle Singh, Peter Herissone-Kelly (2019) Equitable Research Partnerships – A Global Code of Conduct to Counter Ethics Dumping, Springer, New York: open access at: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030157449
- Doris Schroeder Julie Cook, Francois Hirsch, Solveig Fenet, Vasantha Muthuswamy (eds) (2017) Ethics Dumping – Case Studies from North South Research Collaborations Springer, New York: open access at: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319647302
- Doris Schroeder and AH Bani-Sadr (2017) Dignity in the 21st Century – Middle East and West (2017), Springer Briefs, New York: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319580197
- Konstantinos Iatridis and Doris Schroeder (2015) Responsible Research and Innovation in Industry (2015), Springer Briefs, New York: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319216928
- Doris Schroeder and Julie Cook (eds) (2013) Benefit Sharing – From Biodiversity to Human Genetics (2013) Springer, New York: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789400762046
- Doris Schroeder (2012) Human Rights and Human Dignity – An Appeal to Separate the Conjoined Twins, Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, Vol. 15(3):323-335.
- Doris Schroeder and Balakrishna Pisupati (2010) Ethics, Justice and the Convention on Biological Diversity (2010), United Nations Environment Program, http://hqweb.unep.org/DEC/PDF/publicationEthicsJusticeandCBD.pdf
- Rachel Wynberg, Doris Schroeder and Roger Chennells (eds) (2009) Indigenous Peoples, Consent and Benefit Sharing– Learning Lessons from the San-Hoodia Case, Springer, Berlin: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789048131228
- Doris Schroeder and Eugenijus Gefenas (2009) Vulnerability – Too Vague and Too Broad?, Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, Vol. 18(2)113-21)
- Ethics Dumping – Looking for Justice, European Parliament, 29 June 2018 with European United Left and Nordic Green Left.
- Industry and Funder Stakeholder Workshop, London, Wellcome Trust, 12-13 June 2017.
- Vulnerable Populations in North-South Collaborative Research, Nairobi, Safari Park Hotel, 23-24 May 2016.
- Responsible research and innovation – Opening new horizons, European Economic and Social Committee, Brussels, 14-15 January 2016.
- Creating and enhancing trustworthy, responsible and equitable partnerships in international research, Paris, UNESCO headquarters, 4-5 October 2015.
- Responsible inclusive innovation in health, World Health Organisation, Geneva, 5-6 May 2015.
Selective Research Funding
- 2018 -2021 European Commission, Horizon 2020, €2,865,948 – Shaping the ethical dimensions of smart information systems (Role: Human Rights Contributor and QA Lead for Project)
- 2016 -2019 European Commission, Horizon 2020, € 1.499.946 co-applicant – Evidence and opportunities for responsible innovation in SMEs (Role: Cyprus Team Lead)
- 2014 -2017 European Commission FP7, €1,496,992, co-applicant – Responsible Research and Innovation in Business and Industry in the Domain of ICT for, Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing (Role: Cyprus Team Lead)
Other Scholarly activities:
- Chair of Ethics Review Panels for European Commission since 2003
- Since January 2020, Associate Editor, Research Ethics, SAGE.
- Since 2018 Series Editor for SpringerBriefs in Research and Innovation Governance with Konstantinos Iatridis